Maui: Ka'anapali or Wailea?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a trip to Maui in the spring, and I can't decide between these areas. We want: lots of shops and restaurants within walking distance, calm(er) waters, and 'friendly' is far more important than 'upscale'. Does either area jump out, or would we be happy at either? (In which case, I may just let Hotwire do the decision-making!)

Thanks!
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 08:34 AM

That's a tough one. Along Kaanapali walkway you'll have Whaler's Village with 3-4 restaurants and lots of shops. Along the Wailea walkway you'll have the King's Shops with 3-4 restaurants and fewer more upscale (read expensive) shops. The neighboring resorts will have a restaurant or two. Other than that, you pretty much have to get in the car for LOTS of options. I've encountered "friendly" in both places (or else I wouldn't be back) but you can run into a bit of snooty among the Wailea guests (not so much residents) IMO. Having said all that, I love both areas but will return to Wailea this spring for the Grand Wailea pools and South Maui beaches.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 10:25 AM

You made it very easy to provide an answer. Everything you want, just as you described it the Ka'anapali area. Wailea is the area our family stays but it's not at all what you described as your needs.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 01:21 PM

I liked the Ka'anapali area when I was there in '91. But that was long before I had a computer and the wealth of travel information from forums and other sites.

I think you would be happy in either place.

Lots of Maui info:

www.mauihawaii.org

www.gohawaii.com They will send a free brochure

www.visitmaui.com

www.spotlighthawaii.com Maui Gold

www.thisweek.com This Week on Maui

www.101thingstodo.com 101 Things to do on Maui

You can pick up free copies of Maui Gold, This Week on Maui and 101 Things to do on Maui at the airport baggage area and other places on Maui. Also pick up free 'The Aloha MAPS of Hawaii' at the baggage area.

But a 'Maui Revealed' book. Best investment you can buy.

www.driveguidemagazines.com Good maps including some detailed maps. Also good restaurant guide with reviews.

www.alternative-hawaii.com Good narrative driving tours.

http://www.adigitaldreamer.com/snorkel/maps.htm

http://www.maui-vacation.net/snorkelmap.html

http://www.mauimapp.com/information/hiking.htm

You may find some useful info on this site:

http://www.budgettravelonline.com/bt...aii/index.html

Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 01:54 PM

I think that the waters comment (calmer) would put Wailea on top of the list, for the extent of beaches that are calmer. (And, Kihei is not at all upscale, and has a wide range of dining, etc.)
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Ka'anapali it is! Thanks for the help, everyone. I can't wait!

And dusty, thanks for all those links! My productivity at work is going to suffer
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 03:04 PM

Not sure if you made the right choice if calmer waters is a priority. The ocean at Wailea is MUCH calmer
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Dan,
Are the waters really rough at Ka'anapali. or just not placid? For the sake of comparison, I'd say placid would be Aruba or Paradise Island. Slightly rough would be Jersey shore or Atlantic side of Cancun. Rough would be "serious surfers only." Where would you say Wailea and Ka'anapali each fall along that scale?
Thanks!
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 09:42 AM

We spent our honeymoon in Kapalua (just north of Ka'anapali) in mid april. It was VERY windy and the surf was high. Both seemed better as we travelled farther south. The beach was unusable otherwise.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 10:56 AM

We stayed in Wailea in Sept. and the water was fairly calm. Ka'anapli seemed to have bigger surf, but not rough.