Search

Maryland exploring

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maryland exploring

We're planning to fly into Baltimore for the Thanksgiving weekend. Assuming we stay in Baltimore (other suggestions welcomed), what are good day trips around Maryland or surrounding areas? We'll have a car.

Also, since we'll be there over T-Day, where would be a good place to go for the traditional turkey dinner?

We don't want to go into DC this trip; we've done that a few times recently.

Thanks, Sonia
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 11:05 AM

Lots of places to go:

- Go to the Eastern Shore across the Chesapeake Bay. Beaches, quaint fishing villages

- Go west to the mountains. Cumberland, cross the Potomac at Harper's Ferry, etc.

- NE to Harve de Grace, Susquehanna State Park, etc.

If you want to go outside MD, then Gettysburg and/or the Amish country near Lancaster in PA. Or even more hills and mountains in West Virginia.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 03:20 PM

The mtns would be a long day trip, 2.5 hrs each way min thou very pleasant with great outlet shopping along the way. Gettysburg or Lancaster, PA would be great as mentioned by rkkwan. I guess it really depends where you are staying, in the city? Spending the day in Annapolis would be nice if you haven't been there. The crowds will certainly be gone at that time of the year. You won't be visiting family for Thanksgiving? Only place I can think of that serves a nice Thanksgiving dinner would be Mccormick & Schmicks at the Inner Harbor. Perhaps someone else may have suggestions. Are you looking for a more homely feel?
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 05:28 PM
LN

Hi

Why not stay in the Baltimore area - there's much to be seen around there and then take in Annapolis as a side trip.

Anyone who loves good seafood would love to try O"Bryckie's for great crabcakes or any other seafood. There's also great restaurants like Bertha's Mussels in Fells Point, a couple good ones in Canton, McCormick & Smicks is right by the harbor. You really cannot go wrong if you include a trip to Little Italy where most every restaurant is great.

You may have a chance to go to a football game while there (don't know whose playing but it's always possible).

Another good thing to ses in Baltimore is the National Acquarium - it's fantastic. There's an Australian display there right now with the Great Barrier Reef.

Then you may decide to come to visit our great little city of Annapolis. The Naval Academy is here, as well as a really great seaport, great restaurants up and down Main Street (a cobblestoned street), a very historic town with the state capitol at the top of the hill and a church that dates back to the 1600's on the other circle.

As to dinner - most any good restaurant or hotel should have a good Thanksgiving dinner serving. Hope you enjoy yourself.

Old Aug 18th, 2006, 05:51 AM

Definitely spend some time in the Inner Harbor area. It should be decorated for Christmas by then. There is a Hard Rock Cafe there and Harborplace has two separate areas with shops and restaurants. The National Aquarium in Baltimore is a "must see" IMO. I volunteer there and it is spectacular. Whatever you do, I hope you enjoy your visit to our area!
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 09:42 AM

I too would stay in the baltimore area, the inner harbor is great, but I really love the fells point area in the evening. The water taxi is also a nice experience. You can always got to annapolis for a day trip or a overnighter. Plenty of elegant b and b's around. Plus great crabs at cantlers and plenty of nightlife. It's a great area to visit. On of my favorites.

Old Aug 31st, 2006, 06:46 PM

For a daytrip to the Eastern Shore, the town of St. Michaels is perfect. Also check out the nearby towns of Oxford and Easton.

I imagine that any of the hotels in Baltimore's Inner Harbor will have a big Thanksgiving spread.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 10:29 AM

I need some help but, If I am not too late, I would recommend either the restaurant in Thurmont, MD that used to be frequented by President Clinton (near Camp David) or the Dobbins House in Getysburg. A beautiful drive from Baltimore on what is usually a quiet day for traffic. Thurmont is a small town near Mt. St. Mary's College,that to me is much more traditional than a city setting. Sorry I can picture the restaurant but not the name.
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 05:54 AM

the name of the place cheapbutnice is trying to think of the The Cozy Restaurant I believe. Haven't been ther in a number of years, but they used to have a "groaning board" that was to die for.