Old Aug 9th, 2001, 01:26 AM
Sue

Marriott South Beach Hotel Miami

Has anyone stayed at the Marriott Hotel in
South Beach Miami??????
Any information please

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 04:35 AM
Julie

Good question, I'd like to stay there around Christmastime 2002, but would like to know the condition of this property and the proximity to all the action. Any info please?

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Julie

And how about the Marriott in Biscayne Bay, has anyone stayed there, and what is your most honest opinion of it?

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 03:50 PM
noel

I live in miami and I'm familiar with both of those properties. I haven't stayed at either, but I've had guests from out of town who have, and i can share a little info. The Marriott on south beach is probably about two years old and its quite nice. Not your corporate Marriott and more like a boutique hotel. Decor is modern, but not avant garde enought to put many off. Rooms are basic 3 star issue, but nice and serviceable. The Best thing about it is its on a very nice part of the beach on Ocean Drive at 3rd st., and you can literally wake up and roll onto the beach. Its also south of 5th Street on south beach and thus a bit farther away from the center of action and a lttle quieter. It is still walking distance to much of south beach... however Lincoln Road and anything north might require a cab ride if 3/4 of a mile seems like too much of a hike. I would stay here if I found rates of about $250 or less for a basic room at peak season. Nice clean and reliable, and not your run of the mill "Marriott."

Although the rooms are nice, have balconies, and they offer stunning views of the city and the bay, I can't recommend staying at the Biscayne Marriott on the Miami side of the Bay. I love the city where I live and I don't feel staying here would give a representative experience if you really wanted to see Miami. The main problem is location. Although its just north of downtown proper, and easily accessible to public transit, I would still consider it a bit isolated.
The surrounding neighborhood to the west is marginal and the present construction around the area makes it less than desirable. The new performing arts center is being built right there, and that may make for a better outlook for the future, but right now I'd take a pass staying in this area. Nothing is wrong with the hotel, but I'd just leave it to the cruise ship passengers leaving the next morning or the tired businessman who just wants a decent room to sleep in.

LOL... just realized I took up a whole lotta space... hope I was some help.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Julie

Noel,
Thank you so much for your thorough reply. I have booked the Marriott South Beach on Marriott's website, I have been watching the rate. It had hovered near $ 300.00 per night, but they ran a "winter special" last week for $ 179.00, so I locked in. Today, the rates are back up, therefore, I hope they honor my rate. Any special restaurants you'd recommend?

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Dave

I concur with the above, I live just down the road, but as a tourist you don't want to stay here. This is more for business convenience.

Restaurants are all dependant on your sort of lifestyle an budget. Give me some more info of what you like and price.

My favorites are:

China Grill
Joia
Tantra - 2 for $ 250
Astor Place - 2 for $180
Pacific Times - 2 for $ 180

A great Cuban restaurant on the beach is Davids Cafe on Lincoln Rd. Very inexpensive.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 10:31 AM
BArt

Sue, We satyed there last winter for 5 days and it is not typical Marriott. Very small rooms. We were on a 2 week trip to Fla and this was our 1st stop. Not enough room for all our stuff. A short walk to all the action. A tip- if you do go and want to go to Joe's for Stone crabs go for a late lunch, around 1:30. You'll avoid the long wait in the evening and you won't be rushed.
Also try SMith & Wollenskys.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Dave

Hey Bart,

Even better than your Joe's Stone crab advice, go to the take out section Joe's take away and bring it to your hotel, better bang for your buck and you won't get shaken down by the seating people.

As for Smith and Woll, its good, but why not try something you can't get back home?

Beef is not really a Miami thing, unless you go to one of the Argentinian places, but I can't think of one on the beach. Capital Grill is better than S&W but off the beach (brickell ave)

I would stick to restaurants that do the carribean fusion thing just to try something different.