Reload this Page >

Ian Schrager's Paramount in NYC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 07:19 AM
Kat

Has anyone stayed at this hotel? I want to hear some opinions before I book it! THANKS!

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Logan

Kat,
I've stayed at the Paramount many times, from when it was brand new and you could get a $99 'broom closet.' Now that broom closet is $145 if available, and I still stay there for my periodic theater binges. The location is so convenient for that, I've gone there to use the lobby restroom at Intermission of the nearby theater when the line is long.

You just have to not mind that the rooms are small. Stylish, but small.
--Logan

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Alana

Worked there some time ago. Nice for the atmosphere, but as previous poster stated you have to be willing to part with the current going price for a room that you can't move through if you have the door open, the cabinets open, your luggage with you, etc.

I always liked the Vermeer headboards as a funky touch. There are four or five different ones used.

The location is incredibly convenient, just off Broadway at 46th. For a quick bite I suggest Mchale's at the corner of 8th & 46th for good pub food.

Just keep remembering things. There is no central air & not all rooms have air conditioning window units. If you stay during the summer, you need to specifically request it.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 08:20 PM
nina

I stayed there for a week in May ($100 a night through Priceline.) The location is great, the lobby is funky and the rooms are small. However, I would stay there again. You may want to check www.biddingfortravel.com, see what folks have gotten in N.Y. on Priceline and bid on Priceline. Some folks have gotten the Paramount for less than $100 a night. Other hotels would also be good.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 08:27 PM
Dkdk

I've stayed there, comments above are on the mark.

If you like that kind of hotel, then also look at the W on East 39th. There are 2 side by side, the Court and the Tuscany. I prefer the Court. The rooms can be small too, but stylish. Sometimes they will upgrade you if available to the larger rooms.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 09:45 PM
Marilyn

Cool hotel, but rooms are NOT for the claustrophobic. If they were any smaller you could sit on the bed and touch both walls. Maybe ok for one, but two people in one of those rooms would be a real test of love.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 05:33 AM
xxx

Like his other places, the Parmamount relies on a clientele which wants to be "chic" regardless of the lack of comfort.
Schrager is the one who but the BOO in Boutique.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 06:31 AM
x

the key is getting paramount for a good price - under $100, wow! the lobby is the place to sit when your room starts closing in on you. but a good location, and at one time there was a rather trendy bar just off the lobby - I remember trying to get a drink, when all the wait staff was busy admiring their skin tight jump suits. Ah, those were the days. And as I recall, there was a rather decent restaurant there, upstairs But a good place on the west side, close to all the theatres. And parking across the street.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Owen O'Neill

Agree with all of the preceding. Rooms are very stylish and very small - bathrooms are chic and streamlined but layout is inefficient. Now that the Paramount is not the current hot spot, you may find the staff to be more attentive and friendlier than in the past. The Whiskey Bar is still there and still lively - nor sure what the restaurant is these days. The locatiuon is incredibly central and convenient. The theatre district, restaurant row and also all the 9th Ave ethnic dining is just steps away. If your room will just be for sleeping in, you can live with cramped quarters and can get it for a good price ($125 or under without tax).... go for it.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Fred

I think it's great that so many people could help Kat out by sharing their experiences at the Paramount. I for one, enjoyed this hotel very much - and I am just a "regular" person, not on the "most hip list". What I do get a chuckle out of is the fact that EVERY time a question is posted about a Schrager property, many people have a cow about the small rooms; yes, the rooms are small - but what exactly are you doing there that you need a humongous room for? Are you holding some type of party for 10 people? Did you bring 22 suitcases too many and now you can't put them away? Are you really sneaking in your family of 40 when you made reservation for 2? Or do want to conduct an exercise class in there? Last I knew you kind of "rent" the room for a night or 2, you don't "buy" the property to accommodate all your worldly possessions! I hope that you will take this in the humorous spirit it was meant, I just think it is funny that on other posts on this same topic, people expect WAY more out of a hotel room than what they have at home. Just an interesting observation on human behavior. BTW, I do think this forum is great for exchanging hotel experiences - good & bad! Kat, enjoy the trip, and enjoy the Paramount!

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 07:11 AM
xxx

My bedroom at home is approximately 30 feet by 13 feet. I get claustrophobic in a hotel room that is 9 by 10, especially when there is no place to put your luggage and you have to climb over another person to get into bed. Maybe the size of the room isn't important to some people, but I just hate being uncomfortable when I travel, especially when I have to pay top dollar to be uncomfortable.

"some people expect WAY more out of a hotel room than they have at home". Sorry, but I'd be thrilled if I could find a hotel half as comfortable as my own home, but I must admit, I don't live in a trailer or a hovel.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Dave

I like the W, Deleno and Paramount's of the world because:

a) it is quiet
b) it is not a big hotel zoo
c) reflects my lifestyle ie. home
d) you receive more personalized care
e) conveniently located

The rooms are small on the lower end, to appeal to those that want to try the property. If you want to shell out another $ 100 then the room size changed dramatically.

I've stayed several times at the W Court and the room was at least 12*25, other times I took the Internet special and it was half the size.

Unless you are truly claustrophobic, why care about the room size, after all don't you want to get out and enjoy the city?

These hotels cater to the busy professional who want to stay at places that reflect home, and an oasis away from the madness they deal with during the week.

I love these places!

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Fred

Well, this certainly is running amuck isn't it? And of course even though I said that my post was meant in a humorous spirit, someone had to get defensive. Oh well.....

So, let try to relax and get back to helping Kat out.