Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Marriott Ihilani or Mandarin Kahala or Halekulani?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Val

My husband and I are going to spend 4 days in Honolulu next September, after 2 weeks in the Big Island and Kauai(one week in each). It's our 25 anniversary!! Which hotel has the best beach, best swimming pool and the best "Hawaiian"atmosphere? Where can I find good rates for these hotels for September? I know I've asked so many questions, but PLEASE I'm los't. NEED HELP!!!! Thanks

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Rob

Debate rages on about Mandarin vs Halekulani. Very different, each very nice.
The Marriott does not quite belong in this debate. It's not of the same quality, location is a negative, too may conventions etc.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Beth

I've only stayed at the Kahala Mandarin, and the reason why I like it is because it is located in a residental area. The beach is private. The pool is rather small, but the rooms at the Kahala are great! They have three dolphins at the hotel. They have dolphin shows a couple of times at day. The food and service are great! I would have to say that the beach there is pretty, but the beach at the Halekulani is much better for swimming and surfing. However, the beach at the Halekulani has wall to wall people. I highly reccomend the Kahala if you want to be in a more private area away from the crowds. The rooms at the Kahala are world class. The view of the mountains is awesome. I've heard good things about the Halekulani , so I'm sure you can't go wrong.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 02:31 PM
al

Before you make any reservations buy yourself a Hawaii travel book. When you are spending thousands of dollar you need to educate yourself first. A great guide is The Unofficial Guide to Hawaii sold in bookstores.
Went to Hawaii in 2000 and stayed in the Ali'i Towers of the Hilton Hawaiian Village. We loved it here. Great Beach and not quite as crowded as the beach in front of the Halekulani. They also have better rates than Halekulani.Do your research and you won't be sorry.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Gail

My husband and I stayed at the Kahala Mandarin Oriental in march of this year for our anniversary. We chose the beachfront room in the lagoon building and really enjoyed our stay. We looked closely at Halekulani, whose rates are a bit less expensive by the way, but opted for the Kahala because we wanted quiet and peaceful. And that's exactly what we got. It just depends on personal preference. We had a car, so we could jump into the tourist mode when we felt like it. The beach at the Kahala is beautiful but very shallow so there isn't much surf. Have a great time and "Happy Anniversary"

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 11:11 PM
Eileen

For what it's worth, the last reader's poll of Conde Nast traveller magazine rated the rooms at Kahala Mandarin 96, Halekulani 85, Marriott 75.