Mark Hopkins-Inter Continental Hotel

Old Mar 1st, 2003, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark Hopkins-Inter Continental Hotel

Going to San Francisco in April. Has anyone stayed here before, and if so what did you think about the hotel and location? Thanks for the info...
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 12:48 PM

I haven't stayed there but can tell you it is on Nob Hill. A good place to stay. You will have easy access to most spots in the city although you should know if you plan to walk alot you will be walking up and down some pretty steep hills. The cable car does run up to Nob Hill.
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 12:50 PM

A looong time ago, but as far as I know it is just as wonderful, luxurious and pretty as it was then. It is in a great spot, the cable car stops in front of the hotel, it is on the top of a hill, so the views are great! You can get anywhere in SF from the hotel.
Have a great time!
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 12:52 PM

I have never stayed there. The location is good but not the best if you get chest pain walking up hills. (Grand Hyatt would be better). I have seen one room which had no view, just a small room. The towels were thick, though.

If you stay at the Mark Hopkins, business colleagues will be impressed.
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 02:05 PM
gc

It's been a while, but the Mark Hopkins and Fairmont have traditionally been regarded as the center of elegance in an otherwise elegant city.

Ah...to be sipping a Glenfiddich while watching the fog roll in at the Top of the Mark.......
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good advice....
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 06:56 AM

Stayed a few years back, nothing special but if you get a good rate go for it. The Fairmont would be a better choice, located just across the street. The location is clean and it's not bad going down hill but most people need help (taxi/cable car) to get back. IMO the Westin St. Francis in Union Square is a better hotel and a more convenient location. The area is a bit gritty but we thought it was just fine and much easier to get to restaurants and sights.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 11:33 AM

We are staying there next weekend, and I can let you know when we return!
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:22 PM

I stayed there last year. Our room was nice, but extremely small, possibly one of the smallest hotel rooms I've ever had. Location was fine, but if you plan on walking I definitely recommend that you bring comfy shoes. The cable car had some mechanical issues when we were there, so it was running a very limited schedule. We ended up walking up and down that hill a lot!