Argonaut Hotel....San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife ang I have booked into the Argonaut for 4 nights in a 1 bedroom king suite. Can anybody give me any information on this hotel.We are visiting the city from Glasgow in Scotland.
Many thanks
Colin
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 01:26 PM

Try www.tripadvisor.com ---they have patrons opinions as reviews on this web site of many hotels .
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 01:31 PM
bluestructure

Its in a very good location and looks nice from the outside and peeking in from the street. Thats about all the advice I can give.

Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 02:30 PM
deborahk

Our family of 5 stayed there this summer in two different rooms. First of all, the hotel is located next to Fisherman's Wharf-not exactly in the thick of the touristy stuff, but very close. It is also very close to the cable car turnaround and Giradelli Square-a nice ourdoor shopping and restaurant center. We stayed in a room with a King size bed our boys stayed in a room with two queens. Both rooms were very nice and clean with very comfortable beds. No complaints there at all. The lobby and public areas were very nice also. My only really problem with the place was the too close to touristy location and the noise outside our window at night-mostly the cable cars and people walking by. We were also on the upper floor and heard ALOT! The interior facing rooms would not be noisy, but there is no view at all-only the the other rooms across the way. PLease feel free to ask me anymore specific questions-were there there for four nights. Have fun in SF.

Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 02:36 PM

We just spent last weekend in SF and saw this hotel while down near the warf. I think it's too close to the touristy stuff. The cable car wait was over an hour here!! I don't think it's bad per se but the atmosphere is way different then if you stay in other areas. Prices are higher, and all the shops are selling little souviners (sp), everyone is from somewhere else, etc. Just know that upfront!

We stayed at the Omni in the financial district which we loved! away from the long lines and much closer to China Town, North Beach and Embarcadero/Union Square

Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 06:23 PM

I'll give you an edited version of my post on Trip Advisor from last September. I should say that although I don't care for Fisherman's Wharf, we very much enjoyed the location of the Argonaut. The cable car turnaround is conveniently around the corner (you can buy passes right there when the office is open) and the ride uphill at the start is something not to be missed! Cable cars are half the fun of San Francisco, I think. From that line you can hop off to walk down crooked Lombard St., or visit the Cable Car Museum (free and fascinating). We never waited an hour to get on and early in the morning there was hardly a wait at all. You might even get to see the accountant going to work with the gold spider in his beard!

Mainly we enjoyed the maritime sites in the area. The Maritime National Historical Park visitors center is off the lobby of the hotel and the ships at Hyde St. Pier are across the street.

As for room location, our preference was for the top floor with Alcatraz view. We felt that the view was much more expansive and the room brighter there than on the Golden Gate Bridge side where the view was partially obscured by trees. Also, my husband was concerned about noise from vehicles accelerating up the hill and perhaps cable car turnaround crowds. He loved being able to see a square-rigged ship from our room at the front of the hotel. Just don't expect giant windows. The bed was comfortable and room temperature controls worked well.

Our least favourite part of the hotel was the Blue Mermaid Chowder House restaurant. Ghirardelli Square is just a short walk away and we found Lori's Diner there handy for quick inexpensive meals. Nice view of the bay there too. We also walked from the hotel to the pier to catch the ferry to Alcatraz.

Great city - we'd go back in a second.