Help With Ladies Bunco Group Trip!

Old Sep 20th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help With Ladies Bunco Group Trip!

Hi
We are a group of 12 Bunco Ladies that are looking for a fun long weekend SOMEWHERE.
We live in Richmond, VA area, and have had our fill of Williamsburg & D.C. Problem is, one girl is pregnant, and that leaves us Jan. or Feb. to go somewhere. Would like to rent a big house and possibly sightsee or shop. Not big snow skiiers. Any ideas within 5 hours of Richmond? Please email me at [email protected] with any advice!
Thanks!
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 07:04 PM

I was just in Charleston, S.C., last week and thought it was a lovely place to visit. The weather should be very nice that time of year. You know better than I as to how far it is from VA.

The market area is great for shopping. And loads of restaurants for b/l/d. I stayed at The Mills House in the downtown area and loved the hotel. They have a great buffet breakfast for around $10 (I was there on weekdays, not sure if Sunday brunch is more expensive.) Monday morning, I noticed they set up a separate table for a bunch of ladies who apparently were having a special gathering, I thought that was nice. However, it may have been something they paid extra for... not sure.

Everyone was so nice at this hotel (true Southern hospitality) and I walked everywhere because it was centrally located.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 02:29 AM

"Bunco"????????? is that something we are all supposed to understand or is it a Patricia Cornwell thing?

"Within five hours" I assume means DRIVING?

How fast do you drive? Savannah? Charleston? I'd say Asheville but the shopping there wouldn't be much of a thrill.

Could you drive a little longer and do New York? Philadelphia?
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 02:36 PM

Bunco is a retro game which has replaced bridge in the 'burbs.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 05:00 PM

It's a dice game.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 06:08 PM
JJ5

It's a game played with 8 or 12 people on two or three tables of 4. Each table has 5 dice and the object is to get at least three of the same number. All five alike is a Bunco.It's a simplistic game and you don't need to think to play it, with the possible exception of the scorekeeper. But there are some versions where you don't really keep a number score, each just keeps a win or lost chit. It's very sociable and fast. We have a group that's been together for more than 30 years. It hasn't just hit the burbs, nor will it ever replace bridge. In fact my group started in a neighborhood in Chicago.

Did you really want to know? Well regardless, you do now.

Vegas is a cheap vacation with group rates and is done as a long weekend with the girls all the time. Maybe Atlantic City and a short flight instead of driving?
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 07:39 PM

linda, hope you and friends have a fun trip wherever you go.
jj, sorry to break this to you but a 70's era dice game is very retro to youngish suburban moms.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 04:24 AM

Not sure if it would fit into the 5 hour constraint, but New York City could be a fun weekend. You could take the train from Richmond, or drive to DC and take the Acela. I used to do it for business trips and always enjoyed the train much more than a flight for the DC-NYC trips.

Another option, if you don't mind flying, would be the Caribbean. I've gotten some amazing bargains out of Richmond to the Bahamas ($350 for flight & 3 nights hotel!). We used to do Princess Vacations, but I think they are no longer around. You can check the rates at those hotels at gbvac.com.
There are a couple other companies that fly out of Richmond, but the only one I can think of now is Apple Vacations.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 04:32 AM

I am in Williamsburg and my Bunco group never goes on trips! We play tomorrow night...I may bring it up!

Have a great time!
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 06:06 AM
JJ5

If Bunco is retro, Bingo is retro.

Played all over by church groups and way, way before the '70s. Think you don't as much as you think you do, wsoxrebel. They had bunco nights at the Catholic church halls in the 1950s and all over the Midwest, especially in Chicago. Wouldn't be retro to any of the 20 something or 30 something suburban moms where I live, as lots have played it since they were tots. Is jacks retro too? LOL

We always paid dues per play night, and then used the dues for a trip, play, outing etc. once a year.

reneeinva, if they won't go for a trip (too much time juggling kids' schedules, husband's etc.) they might go for a girls night out to see a musical or spa day etc. with your dues money. Makes saving $$$ for the planned event easier and makes it is more locked in too. Just "setting dates," busy homemakers have lots of reasons to cancel, I find. This way they are committed.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 01:34 PM

jj, why are you so offended by something being retro? "Think you don't as much as you think you do" - what on earth does that mean? There have been numerous articles on the changing roles of women since the 60's and the subsequent decline of community volunteerism and social activities such as bridge games.

Wonderfully, more women are again finding time for themselves and reaching out to one another. It might be bunco, pokeeno, or bookclub, but women still need time away from ever-present commitments.

Crockpots are retro, too. I still love mine.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 03:47 PM
JJ5

Sorry, wsoxrebel, I apologize. It's true, I did take offense. I was far too over-sensitive.It would take too long to explain here. Kind of like the first few times someone called you "Mam" instead of "Miss"- but beyond that. You are probably too young to know that it never went away in lots and lots of places, to "come back" again. And also it was and is a strong social contact between career women and the women who work primarily at home as homemakers. There was a time when these two groups of women were almost totally socialized to think of each other as "the enemy." Bunco clubs are about a whole lot more than playing a game. Kind of like saying that the KKK is just a club.

My daughter also, she says similar things at times, she has no idea of the suffering and personal politics it took to get the "choices" women have now and just take for granted. I guess we "non-soccer mom" Bunco players have to look at ourselves as dinosaurs. Well, I had about 15 "prime" ponchos in storage and my students are fighting over them now. It'll all come round again.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 04:26 PM

jj, I think the rest of us are just jealous that you have so many long standing friendships. I'm having pokeeno at my house Friday, AND I work, AND my house is a mess, AND I want to keep on planning travel adventures, but I should probably go vacuum. Have a great weekend.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 04:56 PM

What a great idea! Bunco is so much fun! I was part of a great group a few years ago. Need to find one here in our new area. I don't have any suggestions for you, but I hope you all have a great time wherever you go!
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 05:16 PM

Thanks for the explanation. I saw--I kid you not--a Bunco Barbie in a store a few weeks ago. She was dressed all in pink and came with a set of pink dice and a notepad. I figured bunco was some sort of gambling operation, and that Barbie had gone Vegas.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 06:00 PM

Yes, thanks. I had no idea what Bunco was either. Guess it doesn't matter much to the trip suggestions though. For Fodorite purposes it's a group of girlfriends.

Baltimore & Philadelphia are options. I'm not sure how far Asheville, NC would be to drive, but the Biltmore Museum & other area attractions could be fun as well.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone! Bunco is a GREAT way to make a group of close-knit friends in no time at all! We just got some (12) neighborhood ladies together, and we have a ball! Our ages range from 35 to 54! Bunco is such a mindless game (thank goodness), but an excuse to get together and EAT, talk, and have a couple of drinks, away from the hubby and kids! So much fun! Thanks for all the suggestions!