Business trip and not much time in Charleston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2003, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling to Chrleston on business Oct. 1-3. I will arrive in the evening of Wed. Oct. 1, be in business meetings until 9pm on Th. the 2nd, and my flight is at 12:15 on Friday. Is there any way I can see anything? I was thinking a nice dinner on the 1st and then waking up early on the 3rd to explore before I have to get to the airport--any suggestions? Thanks.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 12:24 PM
GoTravel

Stay downtown (Charleston proper) and you will have plenty of time to sight see. The historic, shopping, dining area is very compact and walkable.

Old Sep 19th, 2003, 12:32 PM

Correct as stated above.
Charleston is eminently walkable, and you can get a good feel for the area in a day of wandering around.
You won't have time for a detailed itinerary of things, but you'll have time enough to develop a solid appreciation for the area, and why people generally rave about it.
Take advantage of some of the great food in the area.
The restaurants are much better than a city that size should have.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks both of you for reassuring me that I can see some of Charleston in my limited time. I have a general idea of what I want to see, but do you have any recs. for restaurants that aren't too intimidating for solo eaters?
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 08:48 AM

The historic area is very nice for an evening/night stroll. Walk along Church and Market Streets and around the Battery. That will give you the best sights. Take a look at my Web site (Charleston travelogues) for restaurant suggestions. www.oneeyed.homestead.com. On your final morning, try to get out and see the Battery in the early morning (nice light then) and take a little walk around the old market area. By yourself you can cover a lot of ground in a short time.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 05:56 AM

I don't think any of the rests. in Charleston are formal enough for one to be intimidated eating alone.

I would suggest that if your meetings are in the historic district and will break for lunch, you suggest a walk to the restaurant. That will give you a chance to see some of the town.

Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 06:10 AM

The Peninsula Grill is located in the Planter's Inn. Formal, but one of the best meals you will ever eat. Don't miss the coconut cake.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 06:32 AM

I also thought the Planters Inn was great!! There is a small informal place called Justines that was also good and inexpensive for lunch. It is country cooking. It is near the Planters. We stayed at Embassy Suites and it was nice.It was in the old Citadel building.