Search

Roadtrip: Savannah - Charleston stop?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roadtrip: Savannah - Charleston stop?

Hello.

In early May, a friend and I are traveling to Columbia, SC for a wedding. We will check out of our hotel Sunday morning and have reservations to fly out of Savannah, GA Thursday at noon.

Add'l info: We have a rental car with unlimited miles. We don't get up early when on vacation/ ready to roll at 10 am... More of a relaxed pace. Appreciate history, achitecture, night life, and good food.

We were thinking of spending Sunday into Monday in another city. Heading out from Columbia, what would you recommend as a stop?

Charleston seems like a nice option. I visited the city last year, but my friend has never been. Would Sunday, early afternoon, to Monday, late afternoon, be enough time for him to get a sense of the city?

Hilton Head seems beautiful, but more of a golf destination. (We are not golfers. And I don't know if we'd find enough to do.)

At this point our air is set, the hotel arrangements can all be changed. Also, any tips on Savannah? I have been reading up, just the same appreciate your recommendations. Thanks for any info you are able to offer.

---

-Sunday: Depart Columbia, SC (around 10am) for Charleston, SC
-Monday: Depart Charleston,SC (late afternoon) for Savannah, GA
-Tuesday: Savannah, GA
-Wednesday: Savannah, GA
-Thursday: Fly home.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 03:04 PM

STay in Charleston and go to Savannah for the last day and depart.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 03:23 PM
WFT

With the time you have, go to Charleston. HH has beautiful beaches, some good restaurants, etc. I live in Columbia. I hope you enjoy it here!

www.discoversouthcarolina.com should also help you with plans. Send off for a free brochure. (I don't work for them, I just love the web site!)
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 03:38 PM

I would highly recommend Charleston. The doubletree in the historic district is a wonderful location right at the market. Check out the Charleston's Visitor Bureau at www.charlestoncvb.com.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 05:52 AM
GoTravel

I agree with Gretchen. Stay in Charleston. Much better shopping and dining. JMO.

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I think we will split our time btwn the 2 cities. Much appreciated!
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 05:23 AM

With limited time, skip Hilton Head. It's sort of out of the way for a trip from Charleston to Savannah.

Use Hwy 17 between the two cities. It's slower than going I-95, but it sure is more interesting.

I would spend Monday night in Charleston instead of leaving for Savannah in the evening. Leave for Savannah Tuesday Morning. You could even take a quick tour of Beaufort on your way to Savannah.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 10:38 AM

You will love both cities. The trolley tours in each give a nice overview in 2-3 hours. A visit to Ft. Sumpter in Charleston was fun with beautiful harbor views, or visit one of the plantations nearby. In Savannah, hit the candy shops on River Street and Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House for lunch, or just walk and enjoy some of the city square. A drive to Tybee Island is nice, driving back by the old mansions and Bonaventure Cemetery.

Agree on Hwy 17 and skipping Hilton Head and making a stop in Beaufort.
Have fun!
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 04:11 PM

Returned last week from Savannah. Did a tour on "Savannah Tours" and it was excellent. They recommend you stay on for the 90 minutes and then go on it again this time getting off and on.
It was interesting and hit all the historic areas. We ate at Mrs. Wilke's Boarding House which was a couple of blocks from one of the bus stops. Fun dining family style with 20 dishes being passed with delicous food.
Also went out of the city a little ways and ate at Uncle Bubba's which is owned by Paula Deen and her brother. Good food.
We also loved Charleston-both are well worth your time.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Just finished booking our reservations. Great suggestions on local finds and a route to Georgia. Much appreciated.