Hotel Monaco?

Feb 26th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Hotel Monaco?

My husband and I are looking to stay in San Francisco for two night and then head to wine country. We've had many people recommend the Hotel Monaco but all have said the rooms were small. What does that mean? We'd like to have a bathroom big enough to move around in. Are there double sinks? What other hotels of this caliber would you recommend if we'd want a bigger room? Thanks!
Feb 26th, 2003, 11:42 AM

I can't comment on the hotel itself, as I have never stayed there, but have stayed at hotels in the Union Square area. A lot of people seem to have a bad opinion about Union Square and on my most recent trip to SF I saw what they meant. It is kind of a run down neighborhood. You may want to look into fisherman's wharf or nob hill instead.
Feb 26th, 2003, 12:19 PM

In the room I stayed there was only enough room for one person to pass by the furniture, basically aside from the furniture, there is about a 4 foot wide passage throughout the room. Bath was small also, room and b ath very clean and stylish. This is still a good place to stay.

Go to www.hotelres.com. They have pictures, ratings and very good prices for almost all SF hotels. Nob Hil is very nice, but it is litrerally on top of a steep hill, walking back to the top wgere the hotels are is a steep climb. Fisherman's Wharf doesn't have the good food that Union Square/Financial Dist/SOMA/Nob Hill have. All of these places are easily accessed from each other. The Wharf is in another part of town.
Feb 26th, 2003, 01:07 PM

Parkcitygal,

We have stayed at this hotel three times and love it. While some rooms are smaller than others, all have been of an adequate size and are well appointed. If you want to be assured of getting a larger room, see if you can make a deal for one of their upper floor suites (we managed to make a deal twice--it's the old would they rather rent the room for $200 or not at all--routine).

If the suite thing doesn't work, simply ask them what the largest standard room they have available is. I'm sure they'll accommodate you as best they can.

Don't forget to attend the afternoon "wine and cheese tastings", they're complimentary and, once in awhile, contain a few discoveries.
Feb 26th, 2003, 01:19 PM
kam

There are many places in SF that are a lot nicer than the Hotel Monaco and in a better neighborhood. The Wharf area would be my first choice.
Feb 26th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

What hotels in the Wharf would you recommend?
Feb 26th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

And any recommendations in the Union Square area???
Feb 26th, 2003, 05:54 PM
mauiinjuly

I have stayed at the Monaco before on a 'girls weekend'and was very happy with it. The rooms are on the smaller side, but nice linens and nice Aveda bath supplies. The Sat. night wine and cheese included a sign up list for complimentary neck and shoulder massage or tarot card readings. We loved it and I would definitely go back. We also enjoyed breakfast at the Grand Cafe which is off of the lobby of the hotel. I think the rooms with 2 double beds are about 325 sq ft. but you could call and ask them.

Feb 26th, 2003, 06:55 PM
kam

parkcitygal

Look into the Sheraton or Radisson in fisherman's wharf. I'd advise not to stay in Union Square.
Feb 26th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Never having been to San Fran, why not stay at Union Square? Several people have referred me to either the Westin St. Francis or the Campton Place. Anyone got an opinion there?
Feb 26th, 2003, 09:06 PM
kam

I agree that the Westin, for example is a nice hotel, but Union Square does have a siginificant homeless population, as does a lot of the tourist areas in SF. As such, people have been upset with the trash, smelly streets, and aggressive panhandling. This has been something that the city has ignored for a long time, and recently the hotels and restaurants in SF have been complaining because tourists are not coming back. They have tried to clean up Union Square but there is still a lot more that needs to be done.

Search this Thread