Need advice about transport in California

Feb 26th, 2003, 12:50 AM
Original Poster

Need advice about transport in California

I'll be visiting California for the first time from Australia and would appreciate any advice on the best way to get around. I won't be driving and plan to stay at one of the Anaheim hotels close to Disneyland.
As I am on a budget, what is the cheapest (but also safe) way :
(1) From LAX to Anaheim ? My budget hotel does not provide free shuttle.
(2) From Anaheim to Hollywood/Beverly Hills/Downtown LA and back ?
(3) From Anaheim to Santa Monica and back ?
Appreciate any help. Thanks !

Feb 26th, 2003, 03:15 AM

You can take a free bus/shuttle at LAX which takes you to trains/subway.(ask anyone because I don't know which terminal you're arriving)There are 3 metro lines.Green,Red and Blue Line.You take the blue line for anaheim.Red line is downtown LA.From Lax you take the green line and the station is Aviation.You should change your train at Imperial/Wilmington to Anaheim.You should take your ticket from the machines before you go up to the train.
You can check all stations of these 3 lines at the website:www.metropla.net/am/lsan/los-angeles.htm
1,35$ is one way ticket..
If it is safe enough?We took it at 18,00 pm and changed the train at Rose Parks and waited 1 hour to catch the red line to downtown.(There was a problem)It was dark and not too many people around.We were afraid.I would rent a car in LA.You can reach many places by car easier and safer.Parking(downtown) is very expensive actually.
Good Luck!
Feb 26th, 2003, 12:51 PM

The previous reply about the Red Line was a bit misleading. The Red Line (nor any other light rail line) does not go to Anaheim. You would have to take it to Union Station in downtown Los Angeles and then catch an AMTRAK or Metrolink train to Anaheim. A better and faster alternative would be the bus or van shuttles from the airport. Check with your travel agent or go to Google.com and search for LAX "Airport Shuttle". I don't know when you are arriving but just now we are "enjoying" one of the few cool, rainy days we have had this winter. As far as getting from Anaheim to the other areas you mentioned, it will be possible with public transportation but inconvenient and time consuming. I suggest a rental car for those days.
Feb 26th, 2003, 02:00 PM

Anaheim is very far away from two of the three destinations of your vacation, and your chosen location is a real logistical frustration. You could probably shuttle to the hotel in a shared ride van, but getting to SM, BH, and downtown LA on public transportation is not a great plan. As Anaheim is across town from West LA, the bus trip there and back would eat up most of your day. Is it possible to change your lodging lodging location to something in LA which is closer to the main veins of public transportation?... or perhaps nearer to a red line station?.. which would allow you to hit the above mentioned locations without hesitation? And then you could take the bus just once, to Disneyland and back, which limits your problem and avoids spending the majority of your holiday on the bus, touring LA's industrial underbottom. Just my opinion...
Feb 26th, 2003, 02:47 PM

I live in LA so let me see if I can help. You can take Super Shuttle or Prime Time or other shuttle services to Anaheim from LAX. There are van stops outside the airport. Super Shuttle also has a website you can check for prices, I believe, wwwsupershuttle.com

If you decide to stay in LA, there may be some kind of tour bus that you could take to Disneyland for the day. I personally don't care for Anaheim, so I don't go down that way too often.

In LA, you can take the buses or subway. Try this website for LA transit information.
http://www.mta.net

Good luck.
Feb 26th, 2003, 07:41 PM

I also live in LA...and my advice...move! No really....stay in Anaheim and see what you need to see...and then move up to the Hollywood area and see the sites here. Then move out to the beach area and stay there.

There is a great deal of distance between all of the areas you mentioned and there is also "traffic!" That little item can add an hour or more easily to any commute.

Now this is just my opinion....and I"m sure you'll get tons of others and all of them good!! Happy travels!
Feb 26th, 2003, 07:54 PM

You can get really cheap rental cars. That is absolutely your best bet in Los Angeles.
Public transport is scary.
Feb 26th, 2003, 09:17 PM

I'm also Australian, living in CA. I think the best way to travel around CA is to rent a car, definitely a lot safer at night and more convenient. You can park right on Hollywood Blvd, garage next to Mann's Chinise Theatre. Parking is not too expensive if you're only there for a few hours (a few bucks), even cheaper if you buy something at the shops and get validated.
Just make sure to buy a map (also get driving directions from yahoo or mapquest first). Let me know if you need any more info. I've been living here five years.

Search this Thread