COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

What to do? An Australians Weekend in LA

Old Nov 13th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

What to do? An Australians Weekend in LA

I'm off to the US in 2 weeks time & will have a free weekend beforehand in LA. I've never been to LA before so am a bit unsure how/where to best spend the time to get a taste for the city (I won't have a car)
Could any of you please give thoughts to my current ideas:

At this stage I'm thinking of staying at the Renaissance Hollywood for the 2 nights (Fri & Sat) given it seems fairly central & will mean I can walk to some nearby sights as well as shopping & restaurants. The hotel has a "The Producers" package with a room for $129/night (doesn't include musical ticket but you do get breakfast & transport to Pantages theatre. Does this price seem ok or could you reccomend other web sites to try for discounted rooms?
I will probably just spend the Friday wandering around & shopping (& getting over jetlag!) & then Saturday maybe a full day tour to see the main sights in LA (any recommendations here?) & then go see 'The Producers' that night.
What is the best way to get to & from the airport if I don't want to take a taxi?
I'd appreciate any feedback - thanks.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

First sentence should read: I'm off to the US in 2 weeks time for work...
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 08:47 PM

LA is severely lacking when it comes to public transportation. Virtually everyone travels by car. In addition, the area is so spread out that without a car you'll be very hard pressed to get much of a taste of LA. Tour buses are available, but of course you'll get a very superficial and commercial overview. In the Hollywood area you'll see only an unrepresentative bit of LA--interesting and worth a look--but not a highlight of the area. People tend to think Hollywood will be glamorous and dramatic when they first visit. It's not. Most people are underwhelmed.
There are probably ways to get to your hotel other than car or taxi, but I don't know what they'd be. I've never used a bus in LA.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 06:18 AM

Assuming you get tickets to see the Producers, that deal doesn't seem to be a bad choice. The Pantages is very close to the Renaissance, so it's not a far drive to and from the hotel. There is shopping right there at the Kodak, but nothing special. You will be able to walk up and down Hollywood Blvd., and see the old theatres there. It is not close to other sites, however, without transportation.

I personally think the area is not representative of LA, only because it's not pretty.

If you want a taste for the city that might be more enjoyable, I'd head West towards the beach. At least then you'd have use of better transportation (i.e. the Blue Bus) instead of having to use the MTA bus.
On the other hand, you will have access to the Metro, which you could take to union station and visit Olvera Street or see the new Disney auditorium.

On transportation from LAX (assuming that's the airport you're arriving at), you will be able to take a shuttle bus to the hotel. I'd also check with the hotel to see if there's airport transportation.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 07:40 AM

You can take Super Shuttle, Primetime or another shuttle to Hollywood from LAX. Cabs to Hollywood would run approximately about $35. I'm pretty sure the Renaissance does not offer transportation from LAX. Usually just the hotels close to the airport offer this service. This hotel is very nice, completey remodeled recently and within walking distance of a lot of clubs and restaurants. I think that rate is pretty good.

The MTA is still on strike here, so unless they settle soon, you will not have access to their buses or the rail system. If you could rent a car, you would be able to see so much more of this wonderful city. Enjoy your trip to LA.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 08:15 AM
mdv

For two days you are in a good spot, especially if you like movies, Hollywood trivia,etc. The Grauman's Chinese theatre is in your front yard, the Roosevelt Hotel with its Mission style interior and the Cinegrill Cabaret is across the street, the HOllywood Entertainment Museum (7021 Hollywood Blvd) has an exhibit of classic MGM glamour portrait photography, Yamashiro restaurant with its beautiful bar with a view is up the hill from you(short cab ride), plus there are various tours of the area that leave from the stand near Grauman's. I think you'll have a great time with little effort. By the way, I didn't like The Producers, but the Pantages theatre is fantastic...I don't know if it's Deco or roccoco or any style, but gorgeous in a wild way.
Also, I much prefer and always have Hollywood and part east to the Westside.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 08:43 PM

For a weekend visit in L.A., the Renaissance Hollywood is a great location to see many of the touristy sights. It is next to the complex at Hollywood and Highland (plenty of shops and restaurants). Be sure to take your photo with the famous Hollywood sign and the Hollywood hills in the background.

As for getting from LAX to the hotel, I suggest contacting the hotel to see what your current options are and the prices. Be aware that there is presently an MTA mechanics strike and public transportation is extremely limited. When the MTA Red Line subway IS running, for $1.35 you can take it from the Hollywood/Highland center NORTH to Universal Sudios and City Walk, which offers restaurants, clubs, theatres, public performers, and people watching. You can also take the Red Line SOUTH to downtown L.A., home of the Disney Concert Hall.

I have seen the Producers three times, once in N.Y. and twice in L.A. I enjoyed it, but granted it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Woody
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 02:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies everyone!
I had no idea there was a strike going on so thanks for that. Unfortunately a car isn't an option for me as I don't have a license.

I realise where I'm staying may not be the most beautiful area but after my weekend there I will be spending some time for work down at Newport Beach so I figure that will give me a different taste of the area to Hollywood.

Thanks again.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 08:16 AM

www.primetimeshuttle.com for the trip to the hotel from the airport (you'll need the hotel zip code which is 90028).

Hopefully someone else will have an idea on transportation from Hollywood to Newport Beach, which sounds rather expen$ive.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link joesource. I will probably get a return trip with the shuttle back to LAX as there will be a bus porvided from LAX to get to Newport Beach.

Is there any difference in reliability between Super Shuttle & Pime Time?
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 07:34 AM

You will be fine with both Super Shuttle & Primetime
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 04:30 PM

The MTA strike ended today finally, so public transport will be up and running when you come. Enjoy your trip.