Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

LA by public transport - has anyone done it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2008, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the first thing you'll all say is "why?", followed closely by "hire a car".

My friend (DF) and I (2 Aussies) will be in Anaheim for 5.5 days in August (excludes travel time). DF suggested staying in Anaheim was better than LA and I agreed to it before knowing how far away it really was. We will be following different itineries on some days as DF has been to LA before. I just want to see everything and know I don't have enough time already.

My draft itinery is something like (not necessarily in order):
1 day - Disney Parks
1 day - Disney Parks or LA
1 day - LA or OC Beach Bus Tour (I have discussed this on a previous thread)
1 day - Universal
1 day - LA
1/2 day - Anaheim area (on the presumption we will check out and need to leave our bags at the hotel until we depart for our flight to Vegas at 5pm.

Therefore, I will have between 1-3 days to see what I can in LA. I have been looking at bus tours from Anaheim but they are like condensed European bus tours (ie 5 mins here, 10 mins there etc) and I don't think I'll have the time to look around at things. I have also been looking into public transport, which shows there is a regular bus from outside Disney to Union Station, but it takes 1.5 hours.

Has anyone actually visited LA on public transport for tourist purposes? Was it successful? Are there shuttles between Anaheim and LA which aren't linked to tours, but wouldn't stop as often as public transport?
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 06:06 AM

From which airport is your flight to Vegas?
And are you saying that you are "stuck" in Anaheim for 5 nights, as in you've prepaid and it's not changeable?
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 09:34 AM

First of all Anaheim is a vast wasteland of theme parks and nothing else. Even getting around Anaheim is difficult without a car. (I was stuck there for a convention and had 2 half-days free - and it simple wasn't possible to get anywhere and back on public transit.)

I would change you plans - just spend 1 or 2 night in Anaheim if you MUSY do the parks - then stay in LA - in an area to actually see something. And you really do need a car if you want to get anywhere in less than several hours.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

We are flying in and out of LAX. We currently have 6 nights booked at the HoJo in Anaheim, but this can be cancelled. However, I'm not sure DF will want to change plans.

The HoJo is $109+ per night. I doubt we could stay in LA for a similar price in a 3 star hotel in a reasonable location. Then we would also need to transfer hotels and the shuttles seem to do this mid morning, which means wasting half a day changing hotels.

DF's plans are 3 days Disney Parks (hence staying in Anaheim), 1 day Universal (which can be done by tour bus from Anaheim) and probably 1 day LA bus tour. Whereas, I'm looking at Disney Parks 1-2 days max as I want to see more of LA. I think I'd spend more time at Disney if I had more time overall, but 5.5 days is what we have.

I note most people suggest hiring a car to get around. I've thought about it and would rather not for the following reasons (although haven't completely ruled it out):

- extra cost
- I don't have experience driving on large freeways
- most people also say that traffic into and within LA is heavy (and it will be peak summer season in August)
- I will likely be driving on my own with no one to navigate
- as an Aussie I would have to drive on the other side of the car and road
- finding and paying for parking
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 07:28 PM

We traded homes with two Australian couples. Neither couple wanted to drive in LA. They both used public transportation to get around. I was amazed that they could do it. They also did a lot of walking and I mean long distances.

You might consider a hotel in Santa Monica (probably pricier) and then do an excursion to Anaheim on a day tour. There really is not much in Anaheim - think the Gold Coast near Surfers' Paradise without a beach in walking distance.

You also might consider Long Beach: there are buses from downtown LB that take you to the Getty and back for something like $1.50. They only run during the summer, although there is no guarantee that they will be running this summer. I suppose it is something you can research on our public transportwebsites or on the Long Beach City website and see if these excursions are still offered. In past summers, you were able to get an express bus to the Gene Autry Museum and the LA County Museum from LB; and again for a nominal fee. If I remember correctly the bus only leaves once a day and each bus goes to a particular tourist site only once or twice a week. So if you used that special bus, you would need to coordinate your trip carefully. If you took the bus to the LA County Museum, you could also visit the Fairfax Farmers' Market. There would probably be a bus near the museum that would take you pretty close to the Farmers' Market. It is a ten minute or less drive by car.

Of course, a car would be easier, but I know it can be done, but it will take some researching, creativity and determination on your part. By the way, traffic in LA is probably lighter in the Summer, but not light by most standards. You will still get caught in numerous traffic jams and the LA freeways are daunting to out of towners. I know, I was one, once and the freeways intimidated me and that was thiry years ago when traffic was considerably lighter.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. I just read over your itinerary, so my suggestions above may not be that useful, but I won't delete them, since it may be something else for you to consider or someone else might find it useful.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 07:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sure, give it a go. LA is a car-centric city (grew up there), but I have to believe it can be done other ways. Just more time consuming. But basing 6 nights out of Anaheim makes this a bit more problematic imo. You're really no where near downtown LA or Venice, Santa Monica, Melrose, Hollywood, Fairfax, etc.

Old Jan 8th, 2008, 09:56 AM

I would really try to get your friend to rethink this. Cannot imagine what any adult would do in disneyland for more than one day (it's not like DisneyWorld with Epcot, MGM and Animal Kingdom etc).

I would stay someplace much closer to LA - where there is tons for adults to see/do and take a one day bus rip to Anaheim. If you won;t drive seeing anything in LA will be very time consuming - so you need to try to be within walking distance of at least a couple of things - then consider cabs for other sights.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 09:57 AM

I am another who says you really don't want to spend all 5 days in Anaheim. As nytraveler said, Anaheim is just row after row of hotels and nothing particularly nice about the area. Also staying in Anaheim, you will spend a big part of your touring day just sitting on a bus.

I am curious why your friend thinks that staying in Anaheim is better than staying in LA. If you want to go to Disney stay in Anaheim, when you want to tour LA, stay in LA. I am also curious why your friend is making all the plans without your input. Is this her trip and you are tagging along or do you have say in what you see and where you stay?

Look at the Travelodge on Pico Blvd in Santa Monica. The beginning rates are $109 for a King Bed and $134 for two Queens. This includes a continental breakfast. It is not at the beach but the bus runs right by the hotel and you can get to the beach or other areas of Santa Monica quickly. I normally wouldn't recommend a Travelodge but it gets good reviews at Tripadvisor as a good place to stay for those on a budget. Here is a link to the reviews at tripadvisor:
http://tinyurl.com/2kf3bg

Also here is a link to info on public transportation around LA. This info is based on that fact that you would be staying in LA.
http://tinyurl.com/38becj

Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:13 AM

One more thing. You said that switching hotels would take around half a day. That is probably close to the truth but if you wanted to save a little time you could rent your own car service going from Anaheim to Santa Monica. Don't know the cost although it would probably run around $100. But once you are in LA, it would be cheaper than going back and forth from Anaheim.

One more thing to consider and that is to rent a car for a couple of days. I know you said you are worrying about driving in the LA area. Cost wise it would be more economical than a shuttle or tour buses. Secondly, LA freeways are well laid out so not that difficult to navigate. You wouldn't need a car for the days you are in Anaheim.

One more thing about the Santa Monica Travelodge. I mentioned that hotel because of the price and reviews. I love Santa Monica but it is a farther away from Hollywood.
So I just thought of another hotel but is reasonable and gets good reviews. That is the Hollywood Orchid Suites. The metro is nearby and you can use that to get to Universal Studios and also to downtown LA. You are more centrally located to see Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Universal, etc. It would be a bit of a bus ride to Santa Monica. The hotel has a kitchenette so that would save on breakfast, lunch etc. The more I think about it, this would probably be your best option. Check out the reviews on tripadvisor. The rooms start around $149 in August but again you'd be saving money instead of going back and forth to Anaheim.
www.orchidsuites.com
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:27 AM

Let me get this straight: you have a total of 5.5 days to spend in Los Angeles and your DF wants to spend 3 whole days at Disneyland? Is she 5?

I don't mean to be mean, but seriously rethink that plan. Disneyland is NOT Disney World in Florida with the numerous parks that could fill a week.

I have to agree with everybody else and say, please, if you want to see L.A., do NOT stay in Anaheim. Especially if you plan to use public transportation. What a nightmare that would be.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:38 AM

As far as getting to the Orchid Suites you could take the bus from Disney to Union Station and then take the metro to your hotel. Would be easy and not really much more time consuming than a shuttle or driving.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:40 AM

I just reread my previous posts. I certainly did keep saying "One more thing". Well I guess you have lots to think about for this trip. Good luck.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:41 AM
character

Eeeek. The HoJo in Anaheim gets Terrible reviews. See if you can find a place with better reviews on TripAdvisor.com

Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:57 AM

character-I also looked at tripadvisor but I didn't see the bad reviews. Is there more than one Howard Johnsons in Anaheim? The only one I could find was the Howard Johnson Plaza hotel and it's #4 on tripadvisor.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 11:31 AM

The HoJo at Disneyland gets pretty great reviews on TripAdvisor, actually. It even makes TA's "Best for families" list for 2006. Is there more than one?
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 11:35 AM

cheryl-I was surprised that the HoJo got good reviews. Still that's not a good enough reason to stay there while doing the LA part of the trip.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 11:40 AM

Oh, I agree Paula -- I am in the "definitely DO NOT stay in Anaheim" camp.

I personally would not even waste a day at Disneyland for a mere 5 days in L.A., but if you just have to, spend one night max at the HoJo and then transfer to a hotel in L.A. for the other 4 nights. (The Farmer's Daughter or the Best Western Sunset, etc.)
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 12:03 PM

cheryl-If you read my other posts, you can see I recommended a Santa Monica and a Hollywood hotel. I had looked at the Farmer's Daughter but in August the lowest rate is around $215 and I would imagine the BW Sunset Plaza is more expensive. Speckles seems to have a lower hotel budget although once she factors in costs of going back and forth from Anaheim, tours, etc. she probably could spend a little more on hotel.

Speckles-If you decide to stay in LA and find a reasonable hotel, I would book it now as long as you can cancel it later. The Travelodge Santa Monica being close to the beach is very popular in the summer and I think Orchid Suites or similar hotels in that area also fill up quickly. You do have to be careful about Hollywood hotels as there are only a few that are decent.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Hi Cheryl, Paula and NYtraveller. Thanks for the input. I did have a look at some Hollywood hotels last night (before your response), including: Hollywood Inn - Walk of Fame; Hollywood Celebrity Hotel and Liberty Hotel.

As DF wants to do 3 days at Disney I won't be able to change that hotel for that time. Unless we went to Universal on separate days I would still need to visit LA from Anaheim on at least one day, assuming I only go to Disney for 1 day. I did wonder whether I might even change hotels on my own and just pay the extra.

Paula, no I'm not just tagging along for the ride. It was actually my idea to go in the first place. However:

- DF is very go-go and wanted to get everything booked and sorted asap (this was early Nov). I would rather have done some research first to avoid the current issue.
- DF's parents went to the US in 07 and she is very influenced by their input
- DF has been to LA before (admittedly as a 15 yo, 15 years ago) and is not overly interested. I haven't been.
- I haven't travelled with DF before and it seems we have quite different ideas on what to do while away.
- DF is more dominant than I. I hate confrontation, even on a low level.

Having said all that, I really don't wish to spend 3 hours a day travelling to see what I want to see, especially if it may be my only trip to the US. I am spending 5 nights in DC because she is so in to US politics and history, which I wouldn't have done on my own.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 07:19 AM

i just caught up with your plans, and don't mean to be rude, but having had a disatrous trip through europe with a friend, i just wonder why you are taking this trip at all?

why not just go on your own? many people on this forum will help.

or save "la" for some other time in your future? why this trip and why now? it sounds like a recipe for disaster- tagging along with someone who makes all the plans and with whom you possibly disagree. a great friend (I have no idea what DF means) does not necessarily translate into a great traveling companion.

as ja'ame from summer heights high might say "no offense, but it's true!"

kerikeri

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -