Notices

Romantic San Francisco Hotel

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Alex Zivojinovich

Romantic San Francisco Hotel

We'll happen to be in SF during our 5-year anniversary.

I am wanting to spend no more than $250 nightly and want advice on where to stay for peace, quiet, and romance.

Archbishop's Mansion
Petite Auberge
Hyatt (Grand)

Any other suggestions? Anyone stay any of the above. We'll have a car, which is not a huge deal.. we'll just park it.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 11:46 AM
former nyc resident

I know the Sherman House is considered the most romantic, not sure about the rate, depending on when you might swing it for $250. I personally only like to stay on the top of Nob Hill to maximize the views. I like the Mark Hopkins, it has been recently renovated, if you get on their website mailing list they have great deals, and the views from there cannot be matched. They have a great rooftop bar (Top of the Mark) and some amazing suites. You could call them directly and negotiate a package. I realize it is not a BOUTIQUE hotel but having stayed in many SF hotels, I can tell you most boutique hotels are very disappointing with TINY rooms. The Hyatt is a modern-me too structure. I will remind myself of the other best place and post it in a minute, just off Union Square.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 11:49 AM
former nyc resident

The Clift! Of course -- and recently totally redone with what is supposed to be (Gourmet Mag) an amazing restaurant and bar. Not sure ever room has amazing views, though, but the place is pure class from the old days when ladies wore white gloves to have afternoon tea in the lobbies of hotels like this.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 11:57 AM
David

Alex,

I have not stayed at the places you mentioned (last time I was at the Hyatt, it was still being remoddeled)but I do have a couple of recommendations. Our favorite hotel in SF is the Hotel Monaco. It is a wonderfully intimate "boutique" hotel with French-influenced rooms and whimsical decorations throughout. The Corner Bar (the actual name of the bar attached to the hotel) is a great place for drinks and hors d'oeurves and the hotel itself offers complimentary wine and cheese in the afternoons.

Located near union square, the HM is within easy walking distance of the theatre, shopping districts and the cable car line. Be forewarned though, the actual line for the cable car can be pretty intimidating --depending on when you're there.

Have also stayed at "The Mark" (Mark Hopkins Hotel). Very classy, good service, good central location and some great views from the rooms. As Nancy stated though, be prepared to do a lot of uphill walking back to your hotel. The cable cars run close by but the wait is often formidable.

I have found deals at both of these hotels for less than you want to spend. We have even managed to get a top floor (9th) suite at the Hotel Monaco for that price. The suite had a separate living room, bedroom and jacuzzi. Just call and ask to speak to the front desk manager and ask what deals he's willing to make.

Good luck,

Davidcs

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 12:04 PM
former nyc resident

Okay I love to research for others, what can I say. The Archbishops Mansion strikes me as out of the mainstream but has wonderful ratings. The Petite Auberge looks romantic and is on Nob Hill. I might go for that if I had the room with fireplace, jacuzzi and terrace. The Grand Hyatt is b-o-r-i-n-g. Like, which one doesn't fit. I would still go for the Clift or the Mark, the first because it is Ian Shrager's newest and coolest (renovation of a classic) and the Mark because it is the grand dame and affordable and those views that never quit! I have had fine stays at the Hyatt, the Fairmont, the St. Francis, the Drake, and many of the boutiques. I guess the most important thing is
#1 cd player in room? #2 how much peace and quiet do you REALLY want, sometimes it is hard to get taxis in SF, I have ruined new shoes in a night there...stay with convenience and views #3 parking will be expensive! Factor that in when you compare prices. DO NOT EVER USE THE CAR UNLESS YOU ARE LEAVING THE CITY. Have fun! I am jealous! Be sure to have sunset cocktails out at the Cliff House (but don't drive there!)

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Alex Lifeson

Thanks for the replies.. I too have read on everything.

I know parking will be $50 daily..

Hyatt seemed.. BLAH, I know.

I cannot believe all the responses thus far. Thanks!

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Paula

I was at the Petite Auberge about a year ago and thought it was very tired and needed to be redone. I prefered its sister hotel the White Swan which is about two doors down. They are both on Bush St. and involved quite a bit of hill climbing.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Pam

Here's the thing to consider about the Archbishop's Mansion especially since you will have a car and be parking it...the neighborhood can definitely get dicey after dark and frankly even get a bit dicey in broad daylight. I suggest Petite Auberge. Nob hill has a variety of places for you to wander around with close proximity to the marina and Pacific Heights. I just checked out the Mark Hopkins the other day through Orbitz and they seemed to have some great rates.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 05:26 PM
Alex Ziv....

Thanks again for the replies.. I found some great rates on Mark Hopkins.. it seems, for me, to be between Mark Hopkins and Monaco. I investigated The Clift and read it's nice, but very loud, from many people.. I really want to thank people for their advice. Please keep it coming, if that is OK.