Reload this Page >

Del Coronado or Catamaran?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2003, 04:59 AM
blpar

I'm taking my 20 yr old daughter to San Diego in March and would like to spend 2 nights on the beach since it will be her first trip to the west coast. Which location would be best, the Del or the Catamaran?

Old Feb 25th, 2003, 05:10 AM
jasper

thats easy. the del. you won't regret it!

Old Feb 25th, 2003, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Del. There's nothing more charming.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 06:20 AM

I have to agree...the Del. Wonderful place! Be sure to get a room in the old building...the new one is across the parking lot.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 09:50 PM

Please tell me what is so nice about Hotel Del?
Granted it's got a nice beach location but it's old. I've had no great experiences with old hotels, from the Westin St. Francis is San Francisco to the Sheraton Moana Surfrider in Waikiki.

What is the draw?
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 04:01 PM

I second the ? about the del.
Maybe it's for antique lovers.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 06:07 PM

Well for one it's got a nice great big pool and deck for people watching- something a 20 year old could get into. The biggest widest beach in San Diego. And a nice quaint town that is arguably the safest place in San Diego. The towers section have bigger rooms but the Del isn't a luxurious hotel roomwise- the rooms are more B&B style-smaller and antiquated.

Coronado is not the the party place that PB/MB is - where the Catamaran is located- but you probably don't want to party with your daughter. The PB/MB boardwalk is a better place to people watch but the Catamaran is a couple notches below the Del in terms of the niceness of the surrounding area (it's accross the street from a Hooters), the grounds, and even the hotel itself. I've had friends check out after a day because they didn't feel the Cat was "nice enough".
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 07:34 AM
ltt

the del does have it's features. but personally, i find it too crowded cause all the tourists are going to see the hotel. so that nice pool deck area has people gawking at you all day long. the beach is nice but can have a lot of airplanes flying over from the base. also, if you get hungry while laying around the pool and want a salad or burger, be prepared to pay a fortune (i think the burgers were $12).
the catamaran is in a much younger area of town. a short 2 minute walk to the beach. or look out the window and you are on the bay. you can rent a bike, blades or walk along the boardwalk on the ocean side and then return on the boardwalk along the bay side. many, many choices of restaurants in the area, 10 minutes to la jolla and i personally love their pool area. secluded and relaxing.
do doubt the del is higher class, just depends what you prefer.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 08:30 AM

I'd have to agree with ltt. I think a 20 year old would find the beach scene around the Catamaran livelier and more fun, with La Jolla close by if Mom decides she wants something more sedate.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 09:36 AM

I have to agree with the Catamaran. Much more appropriate for a 20 year old. It also has a great pool and is on the bay and just accross the street from the ocean/boardwalk so there is much more to do than in Coronado. The other thing no has has really mentioned is that often the weather is better in Mission Beach than Coronado, which for some reason seems to cloud up earlier and have more wind.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 10:26 AM

But keep in mind the 20 yr. old will be with Mom. Given that parameter I would pick the Coronado. If she were going with friends PB/MB would be a better venue.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 10:39 AM
blpar

Thanks so much for all the replies! I still can't decide! Daughter wonders if the Del is too expensive; $200 per night compared to $129 a night at the Catamaran. Is the Del worth the splurge? Daughter isn't into the party scene even if she wasn't with Mom.

Old Feb 27th, 2003, 10:39 AM

I'll just agree to disagree here but as a native San Diegan, who lived in North PB during the college and after years, I really think this would be the best for first time to the west coast. Doubt too many 20 year olds out with their friends could afford the cat. And, I do love Coronado but really think it would be too boring for the daughter. PB/MB is a good mix. There is plenty to do on the property (water activity rentals for the bay, people watching, tanning at the beach, laying by the fun, tropical pool) as well as nice, semi casual restaurants both would enjoy. Nick's at the Beach (downstairs!), World Famous, Green Flash, and Saska's just to name a few.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 11:26 AM

No comparison. The Del wins hands down especially since they have renovated the main building rooms. Do not stay in the tower rooms, they are really bad.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 12:57 PM

The Del hands down. However I prefer the original building as it is much more historic and with a little luck you'll run into the resident ghost Kate Morgan in room 3502. The Del is a San Diego landmark whose famous guests range from Presidents to Marilyn Monroe.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 04:39 AM
blpar

Guess we'll go with the Del. Daughter is more interested in architecture and history than partying, so the Del should be just right for us. We're also staying 2 nights at the Holiday Inn Express Old Town; this property just changed from Ramada last Monday. From all I've read, the hotel is very nice with great location.

Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 12:35 PM
jd

We have a "premier room" in the old building booked for the Hotel Del. This is suppose to be their large size room. Has anyone stayed in one of these, and is it big enough for 4 people? Thanks.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:45 PM

Jd, the standard rooms are pretty of small, typical early 20th century architecture. Perhaps try the hotel to see what the sq. footage would be? Have fun = )