Estancia Ja Jolla or Hotel Del Coronado

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to San Diego over the holidays this year. I see there's some good rates for the Estansia in Ja Jolla (may be spelled wrong). Which one should I choose for my family of 4 with two teens (boy and girl)?? Hotel Del is about $100 more. any feedback appreciated.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 07:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would take the Del over the Estancia with two teens to entertain.

There is absolutely nothing close to the Estancia, with the possible exception of the glider port which is almost next door. You would have to drive to the restaurants and shops in La Jolla or at University Towne Center mall.

The Del, on the other hand, has all of Coronado within easy walking distance, plus it's right on a fabulous beach. It will be too cold to swim in the ocean, but the beach is great for walking and playing.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 11:22 AM

There's rooms at the Del and then there's rooms at the Del. Some are modern, some pretty squashed and antiquated. Be sure you get what you want. We stayed there last Feb. and had a Fab time. There is so much to see and do in SD..and just being at this historic place is so neat. Hope you go to the Del.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 12:48 PM

wow, the only two hotels I stayed at in SD! so here's my 2cents:

Estancia is very nice; I've stayed at many very nice hotels in the world and I am sure you will too in your travels.

But the Del is unique and a national historic landmark from the 1800's. You should not miss the opportunity to stay there. (and be sure to see the movie "Some like it Hot" before going).
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 01:49 PM

Another vote for the Del! Estancia is not nice enough to edge out the Del's great beach location and ambiance. It is very nice, but not a "destination" the way the Del is.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 11:03 PM

I've stayed at both...The Del wins it for a vacation, especially with two teens. Coronado is a fun place to just wander, ride bikes, eat out, or go to local theater. Great beach, even if too cold to swim. Walk away from the hotel toward north Island and the last beach is good for watching surfers and dodgs.. Safe for your kids.

Estancia is pretty isolated.You will need to get in the car to go anywhere. Only a pool and spa (but a really, really nice spa!) at the hotel itself.
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 07:16 AM

La Jolla is a beautiful place, and I would rank it way over Coronado Island.

La Jolla is a beautiful little town with a wonderful boardwalk, with a rocky coast and a sandy beach, with seals, and with nice restaurants and bars.

However, the Estancia is NOT in La Jolla (technically maybe, but not really).

If you look for a beautiful hotel which is right in La Jolla, try the Grande Colonial and the La Valencia.
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 10:46 AM

Of the two you listed, I would definately pick the Del - having said that I agree with the poster that said check out the Grande or the La Valencia (not sure what your total budget is for the hotel).
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 04:28 PM

The Del was amazing, we stayed 3 nights last December. There is an outdoor ice skating rink here also, we drove into La Jolla for the day then returned to this gorgeous resort at the end of the day. Any specific questions, just ask! ***kim***
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 03:34 AM

I live in La Jolla and have 2 teenager also. I would rec. Hotel Del over the Estancia. However, if you want something the kids will love, look at the CATAMARAN or the HILTON ON MISSION BAY. Both are more centrally located, and probably have nicer rooms than the DEL and are less expensive. Depends what you like. They are on the bay or beach. Have fun.... it is a little cool right now but can change daily.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 06:10 AM

I agree with lajolla! The Bay area has a lot more to offer if you have teenagers with you.