Marietta to Atlanta Aquarium

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be staying at the Drury Inn in Marietta, somewhere near "the big chicken" I'm told, and want to visit the Aquarium on a Thursday in November.

We'd REALLY prefer not to drive into Atlanta, and wonder what our options are.

Is it feasible to pick up MARTA at the northern end (Spring Hollow? not sure of the name I saw on the map) Also read that Cobb County has a bus line that either goes into the city or connects with MARTA. If that would work, where could we get info?

Would about 9 am be a good time to avoid the main rush hour into the city? What about a time to return Thursday afternoon?

Thanks for any input.
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 07:16 AM

There is no MARTA station in Marietta, but Cobb County transit (CCT) offers buses that will take you from various points in Marietta to the Arts Center station in midtown or all the way to the Five Points station in downtown Atlanta. From Five Points you can transfer to CNN center station to get to the Aquarium (or take a bus from Five Points).

www.cobbdot.org/cct.htm
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Would it be relatively easy to get to the Sandy Springs station from Delk Road? I have a map, but am questioning time/distance/traffic about 9 am on a Thursday.

I know there is parking there, but does it fill up early?
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 11:25 AM

It can be about 45m from Delk to Sandy Springs even though it is not very far unless you avoid 285. I would leave at 9:30 or after, if you are going to drive to Sandy Springs you may as well drive downtown, there is pretty cheap (5-10$)parking a few blocks from the aquarium and it is very easy to get there from 75/85. I would eat dinner downtown to avoid sitting in traffic, probably leave after 6:30. I am very pro-Marta, but in this case for me it wouldn't make sense. If you were staying close to the station it would be a great idea. CCT may be an option if they have a pickup close to your hotel. You will stiil get there more quickly (and have more flexibility with travel times) if you drive yourself (considering the required transfer). Also, I don't know how many people you will be traveling with but if it is more than 2 you will probably come out cheaper if you drive rather than take CCT express. sorry for the lengthy response, hope you have a great time in Atlanta!!!
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 12:59 PM

I agree with the above comment that, given the time it would take to drive from Delk Rd. to the Sandy Springs MARTA station, you would be much better off just driving straight to the Aquarium.

If you leave Marietta at 9 am to drive 75S into downtown to the Aquarium, it really shouldn't be that bad. I also agree that you should stay downtown to eat and leave after 7pm or so to return to Marietta.

Don't be afraid. You can do this.
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Think we may now do the aquarium on Friday since rain is predicted. That way we can be out on Thursday. We were sent a map from Atlanta that showed some of 75 is under construction. Will that affect our trip in from Marietta?

Atlantan 123, you mentioned parking near the aquarium. Is this marked or what should we look for?

If we leave the city before 2-3 pm should we avoid the rush? Have to back to Marietta by about 5pm for rehearsal.

Thinking of Red Top Mt State Park for Thursday. Thoughts on this vs Kennasaw?
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 02:28 PM

I have to agree with everyone else that you should just drive straight down 75S. 285 should be avoided at all times, just to get from Marietta to Sandy Springs on 285 could take quite awhile.

Parking at the Aquarium is well marked, and you will be close to Centennial Park if it is a nice day you can kill some time there, and the Coca-Cola museum is close too.

As everyone mentioned leave Marietta after 9 and head back north around 6:30 or 7.

Kennesaw Mtn or Red Top Mountain. I would go to Kennesaw Mtn. It is a nice climb up the mtn, or you can drive. Ther is a lot of history and green space if you wanted to have a picnic. I've camped at Red Top Mtn, but was just there for Lake Alatoona. I never really explored the touristy areas.

P.S. You won't miss the Big Chicken if you are near it.
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 06:22 AM

If you end up going to aq. on Thursday i would leave to go back to Marietta by 3, on Friday i would leave at 2:30 b/c the rush is a little earlier and longer on Fri. As far as parking, when you get off of the exit turn right at either the first or second traffic light and park at the first lot you see. If an extra 10$ or so is not a big deal you can park right at the aq. and have a little more time to spend in the aq. rather than walking a few blocks. also if its raining i would take that into consideration where you park and pay the extra money to have covered walkway. construction is only a factor on weekends, they generally suspend it during the week. for the other day my vote is for Kennesaw mountain too. great place for a picnic and little hike on a nice day. colors are really pretty right now too!
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 06:03 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Just drive it.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone.

Since rain was predicted for Friday, we decided to do the aquarium then (it didn't rain until we were almost back to Marietta) Driving in was VERY easy, as most of you mentioned. Guess I tend to equate many other cities to NYC, where, personally, I would never drive! Loved the aquarium, and also got out to walk around Centennial Park. They were putting up Christmas decorations, and imagine it must look great for the holidays.

Thursday, we visited Red Top Mt State Park. Had a good buffet lunch at the lodge. Colors were beautiful. Would have liked to hike more, but DH is recovering from back surgery.

After Red Top, worked our way over to Roswell. Would like to have more time to explore there. Plantation homes were closed as it was after 3:00, but we walked along the river to the falls, past the destroyed mill. "Faces of War" fountain impressive, and would be even more so if water was running. As we drove by, stores looked interesting., but had to pick up wedding gift at Williams Sonoma, so no time to look.

Saturday, we did a very quick trip through Kennasaw Battlefield. With peak foliage this weekend, it was quite crowded, and unfortunately didn't have time to really get out and enjoy. Did a quick stop in old Marietta before it was time to get back and change for wedding.

Never did see the "Big Chicken," but I was assured it does exist!

Old Nov 9th, 2008, 04:13 PM

Clouise,

I am glad everything worked out for you. Sorry you didn't see the Big Chicken, you must not have driven down Hwy 41. If you stayed on 75 you would have missed it.

Actually you didn't miss much, just a big brown chicken.

Old Nov 9th, 2008, 05:48 PM

Believe me, clousie, you didn't miss a thing! People talk so much about that chicken that everyone expects something special or unusual, or really big. It's just a dumb chicken sign, really. Be glad you didn't see it, you've skipped "Big Chicken Letdown Syndrome."
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 06:09 PM

Here.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/5s3ewy

Now you've seen it.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 05:28 AM

They have cleaned it up since the last time I saw it.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Starrs.

Now I do have "Big Chicken Letdown Syndrome." Glad we didn't go out of the way.

Did see several decorated chickens in town similar to the cows, horses, etc in other cities.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 10:11 AM

Really? I haven't seen any.
How strange.
I wonder if Chick-Fil-A is doing a promotional benefit.

"We didn't invent the chicken. Just the chicken sandwich".