Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Many Glacier Hotel - do they have an official website?

Old Jan 30th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every website that I find for Many Glacier Hotel looks like it is a 3rd party. Am I looking at the wrong thing?

Does anyone recommend Swiftcurrent or Rising Sun over staying at Many Glacier hotel?
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 04:57 PM

If you go to the official National Park Service website for Glacier National Park (www.nps.gov/glac), you will be directed to the website for the Many Glacier Lodge when you click on "Fees and Reservations". But here's a shortcut for you:
http://www.glaciernationalparklodges.com/

Personally, I can't recommend the Many Glacier Lodge. The walls of the rooms are paper-thin and you hear everything. Also, for what you pay, I would have expected a lot more in the way of decor, ameneties, etc. Save you money by staying at the Swiftcurrent (which I hear is great and where we tried to stay) and go over and enjoy the public rooms at the Many Glacier Lodge. (That's exactly the advice I heard a park ranger give someone when we were there.)
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 05:08 PM

The Many Glaciers setting is glorious and it is a short drive from Canada's Waterton Lakes National Park.

HTtY
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

thanks! I read the same comment about Many Glacier somewhere and will try Swiftcurrent, hopefully I can still get something
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 03:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I stayed at Swiftcurrent twice and each time people who were at Many Glacier Lodge were complaining about something.

The thin walls, an alarm going off in the middle of the night and they couldn't figure out how to shut it off.

Swiftcurrent Motor Inn is about a mile from the Lodge so if you want to go there it's close.

I thought Swiftcurrent motel-type rooms was fine.

For hikes.
The boat for the Grinnell Glacier hike leaves from behind Many Glacier Lodge.

The start of the Iceberg Lake trail is at Swiftcurrent Inn.

The 15 minute walk to Fishercap Lake is at the end of the Swiftcurrent parking lot.
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

So sounds like Swiftcurrent is the best option from you as well Myer. They are booked except for the twin rooms but I am going to keep checking.
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 03:03 PM

We stayed at Swiftcurrent last year and heard the same complaints as Myer did from people staying at Many Glacier. We still hung out at Many Glacier in the events to watch the sunsets...so you really won't be missing anything by not staying at MG. Swiftcurrent isn't anything special, but we were out hiking all day long and only needed a place to sleep/shower.

What's great about Swiftcurrent is that the trailhead for some great hikes start right next to the parking lot -Iceberg Lake, Ptarmigan Tunnel, Swiftcurrent Pass, Redrock Falls.

http://www.hikinginglacier.com/glaci...-ten-hikes.htm

Keep trying as people cancel all the time.
Old Feb 1st, 2014, 05:51 AM

I stayed in a renovated room at Many Glacier two years ago. It's an old hotel, and the walls are thin, but it's so beautiful, too. I would definitely stay there again. We were also exhausted from hiking around the Granite Park Chalet and our hike out from the Chalet, so maybe we were too tired to notice much noise.