Search

Glacier NP Question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glacier NP Question

I'm planning my first trip to the park - it will probably be about 6 days including travel days. From what I've read, the Lake McDonald region on the west side of the park sounds like a good place to stay as a base. I'm planning to do some light day hikes and relax - nothing too adventurous.

But I can't tell if it makes more sense to stay in one region and do day trips from there, or to split the trip and stay a few nights on the west side and a few on the east. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 03:18 PM

It depends on how much driving you want to do. some of the best hiking is in many glacier area and i would stay in st. mary's or in many glacier as my first choice.

i actually cut my time short in lake macdonald area (the first time i visited) as the hiking was ok not spectacular. My main activity at glacier is hiking and I am partial to the higher country it all depends on what type of hiking you like.

I will say that it is relaxing at Lake MacDonald. but hiking just doesn't compare to the other side and the middle. great hikes at logan pass too.

Glacier is possibly one of my favorite places in the US. so it is hard for me to pick it apart. I have no problem driving across the park for the day and returning back. it doens' phase me. also going around on route 2(?)

It sounds like you may only have 4 days at the park.

I spent two weeks there on my last trip. but you will want to do going to the sun road. you will want to spend some time at logan pass (you can usually see grizzlies in the spotting scopes)

I've seen black bear in many glacier

mountain goats along gtts road. deer everywhere...

rocky mtn big horns in many glacier (hiking to grinell glacier)

Hopefully someone else will give you some info i am such a huge glacier np fan, there isn't a part i don't like. my last trip i stayed at lake macdonald as a rest after time up at sperry glacier and sperry chalet. it was great to sit out back by the creek and just hang...I stayed at apgar village lodge, it sounds like they are "changing " their name to west glacier village. at any rate enjoy glacier.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 03:28 PM
anneryan

Hi! You'll love Glacier NP--it's one of my favorite places on earth. My husband, kids and I visited a few summers ago. We stayed for 3 or 4 nights at the Glacier Park Lodge. We were able to see all areas of the park and do quite a few good day hikes by staying in one place and driving. We drove to Lake McDonald and went out on the lake, drove Going-to-the-Sun road, and did about 3 or 4 good hikes in multiple areas of the park in that span of time. So, I feel that it is quite a doable park staying in one area the whole time. The only place that I might move to, if you wanted to split your time would be to the Many Glacier lodge area. The scenery there is breathtaking and it might give you a better flavor of another area of the park. But, I think you could easily do and see what you wanted to by staying at Lake McDonald the whole time.

If you have the energy, do the "Hidden Falls" hike. It is so pretty through a grove of cedars and ending up at a secluded lake. It is an easy to moderate hike with not much elevation change if I remember correctly.

PS--We decided that if we go back, we would like to stay at Lake McDonald Lodge. It is a really neat place.

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 03:31 PM
anneryan

I do agree with the previous poster, though, the Many Glacier area has more hikes and we saw much more wildlife in that area. We did see 2 or 3 grizzlies the day that we hiked there.

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 04:41 PM

I would split my time between the west and the east. There are so many great hikes out of Many Glacier. In addition to the Lodge there are some cabins by the store that looked fun to stay in. You could also easily do a day trip up to Waterton, the Canadian side of the park. Enjoy, it is amazing!
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! And when you say you saw Grizzlies, Anneryan, I hope that was from a distance!