Glacier National Park-Mt. Rushmore

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying into Kalispell Sept. 8th and have a total of 8 days to spend seeing Glacier and then driving to Mt. Rushmore where we pick up a tour. We are thinking of spending 2 nights each in West Glacier, East Glacier, and Waterton Park and then spending 2 nights on our way to Mt. Rushmore. Does splitting our time like this sound reasonable? Any suggestions on where to stay in Glacier and what there is to see on our way to Mt. Rushmore would be appreciated.

Thanks, Liz
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 08:46 AM
AlJ

On the east side of the park, I'd consider something in St. Mary if you can find something. You might also consider Many Glacier Hotel or Swiftcurrent in the park if they're still open at that time. When we drove through there, I was more impressed up there than in East Glacier.

You might see what's available in Apgar or Lake McDonald on the West site. The setting at Lake McD is pretty and close to some easy trails.

I can't help with Waterton but will get there when we next visit Glacier.

We spent 5 nights on the east side and 1 one the west in a cabin at Lake McDonald. I preferred the east side but both are nice.

If pictures would help, you can check our website. We tried to organize them by area and hiking trail on our website.
www.AlandSueJohnson.com click on the bison picture and look for Glacier in the menu.

St Mary (mentioned above) is near the entrance to Many Glacier.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 04:44 PM

are you hikers? that's the main event at glacier, but if you are a wildlife watcher, there are places to spend lots of time. on the west side, i'd go for apgar village lodge or lake mac donald lodge. i do think that east glacier is different from the many glacier area.

lots of glacier may be shut down by sept. 8. they get ready for winter early. you need to check the park web site to get info on lodging. it is very possible that swiftcurrent in many glacier will be closed for the season. east glacier will still be open and there are local hotels that will be open. same for the lake macdonald side. there is good viewing of mountain goats at the salt lick on route 2 between east and west glacier. go to the nps site on glacier and you can find lodging info. glacier is absolutely beautiful

you can sometimes see grizzlies (in a spotting scope) at logan pass. rocky mtn big horn sheep at grinnell glacier. black bear in many glacier. also mountain goats in most places, remember to look up when you see a white dot moving, that's your goat!
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 05:44 PM

Hi. We stayed on the east side of the park in St. Mary at Pinnacle Cottages. My review on Trip Advisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...y_Montana.html.

We lodged in St. Mary the whole week, and I didn't mind driving since the drives were so beautiful especially the GTTS Road to the west side. It took about an hour to drive from St. Mary to Waterton, and it is also a beautiful drive. We spent two days in Waterton. (Be sure and take the Waterton ferry to Goat's Haunt.)

I think that if I were to stay on the west side, I would choose Lake McDonald since it is such a lovely spot on the lake. We rented a motor boat and had a wonderful time there.

We chose St. Mary Resort because the cabins appeared to be the nicest lodging available for a family, along with that spectacular view of St. Mary Lake.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 05:57 PM

St. Mary Resort offers various types of lodging. They offer hotel rooms as well as cabins. As I just posted, we stayed in the Pinnacle Cottages which are very nice. I can't speak for the other lodging, although the Great Bear Lodge looks very nice.

Also, you should have some berry pie at the Park Cafe down the road from the resort.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for you suggestions which will be helpful in planning. We are not serious hikers. Will do the shorter hikes and enjoy the scenery and wildlife. Alan and Sue - I really enjoyed your website. The pictures are great. And, I enjoyed your goat story.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 09:11 PM

Alan and Sue, I really enjoyed your web site. What great trip reports and pics! They reminded me of our wonderful trip last year.
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:10 AM

Hi, Liz01,

If still searching for accommodations in Glacier, you might try Good Medicine Lodge in Whitefish (west side) and Mountain Pine Motel (east side). Check out their web sites. Our family was able to get two adjoining rooms with three queen beds and two bathrooms for $116 at the Mountain Pine! Place looks really clean and owner was very personable. Have fun!
Old May 27th, 2007, 10:04 AM

Hi liz01. Not sure how you'll be going from Glacier to Mt Rushmore, but we drove from Yellowstone East Gate to Mt Rushmore and other than wide open spaces and hundreds of deer through Wyoming (which was nice in itself but very long drive)the only attraction was Devil's Tower. Very much worth the sidetrack to go up there--amazing rock tower and a pretty drive into the monument. In SD, the Black Hills are gorgeous and Deadwood was fun.
Old May 29th, 2007, 04:13 AM

On our visit to Glacier, we split our time between Many Glacier, Glacier Park Lodge, and Waterton. If I were to do it again, I would go to Many Glacier and Waterton and skip East Glacier. Those areas are IMHO much more beautiful. The Prince of Wales Hotel near Waterton is in one of the most spectacular settings I have ever seen.