Search

Tent Camping in the Smokies w/out showers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 08:00 PM
mc
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tent Camping in the Smokies w/out showers

We will be Tent Camping in and around the Smokey Mountain National Park the first week of May. I would prefer to camp at one of the NP campgrounds but none of them have showers available. I'm curious how others overcome this problem of camping inside the park for days or a week without showers. Are there showers available nearby that are accessable for campers? We prefer to stay on the western side of the park but are flexible. Sugestions?

Thanks,
mc
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 07:00 AM

You can purchase a "solar shower" (or two) from camping goods stores. This is a large-ish vinyl bag, usually black or silver in color with a tube & "shower head". You fill it with water and leave it out in the sun to warm up all day, then hang it up to shower in the early evening. It's typically used by backpackers, etc.

http://www.allcampinggear.com/site/1022013/product/540
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 10:49 AM

The solar shower works fine. You can also heat water on your campfire to use. Then all you need is some rope and a couple of tarps for privacy.

Curious
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 11:07 AM
bluestructure

Find a nice lake or stream

Old Apr 16th, 2005, 12:39 PM

I was there in the late 70's with some friends near Cade's Cove. It was really cold in the middle of winter. After a couple of days we all decided to use the streams to shower. I was taking my turn when a small band of scouts came hiking into the area. It was most embarrassing. I know a lot of parks have areas where you can rent a shower, usually at places where you can also do your laundry. I used one like this in Yellowstone. But I have no idea if they have them in the Smokies.

Those scouts are probably still talking about me
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 03:10 PM

have used the solar shower and it works fine. just have towels strategically placed (meaning bring extra rope to hang them up!) i haven't been to the smokies in about 10 years but i camped at elkmont and loved it. i may have only stayed for 3 days and toughed it out. but a lot of times commercial campgrounds outside the park will let you shower for a price. pretty standard around national parks. it'll work out fine.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 06:38 AM
mc
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. The solar shower idea looks interesting. I may give that a try. I am leaning toward camping at Elkmont. Being early May, I am wondering if the water will have a chance to heat up enough to be comfortable. Also, how private are the campsites? And what about if the sites are well shaded, will the water receive enough sun to even heat up at all? I really want to stay in the park. I have camped at private campgrounds in Cherokee before and they were OK, but I would rather be closer in. How big of a difference is it between camping inside or just outside the park? The main difference I see, and kind of important to me is simply the driving distance each day. Although, not a huge distance, if the traffic is bad, an hour or 2 to get across the park can be irritating.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 06:55 AM

I would have an alternative to Elkmont picked out. Based on the official blurb, listed below, you will be there before the reservation period starts. In years past it is often full of snowbirding trailers and RVs.
I have gone there only to find the place full.

Here is the official blurb on reserving.
During summer and fall, sites at Elkmont, Smokemont, and Cades Cove may be reserved. For reservations call 1-800-365-2267 (park code GRE) or visit the reservation web site at http://reservations.nps.gov.

Reservations are accepted only for May 15-Oct 31. Sites may be reserved up to five months in advance. All other campgrounds are first-come, first serve.

The solar idea is not all that good for the Smokies because many of the areas are in heavy shade even in May, particularly at low altitudes. You may have to hunt around for a place that is sunny enough to heat the water.

I would think more in terms of heating water for the shower in the Smokies.
(Balsam Mountain is high enough that trees will still be in early spring, but it does not open until May 13.)
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 07:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Is this just for one week? What ever happened to sponge baths in the tent with water heated on the campfire?
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 07:49 AM
stjohnbound

We tent camped for a week in the Smokies years ago and we did just what Suze suggests: heated up water and washed up. I call them cat baths! Shampooing hair is easy too - water is available at most sites or just take some gallon jugs along. It's cold but easy when another person pours the water over your head. Have fun!

Old Apr 17th, 2005, 04:10 PM
mc
Original Poster

We will be camping for 5 days. I've done the sponge bath thing before and shampooing with a bottle of water. Not really a big deal I guess. 5 days is a little more than I wanted to go without a really good hot shower. Any other suggestions or comments about Elkmont as a choice of campgrounds?
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 03:39 PM

elkmont,not so much sun like others indicate, but nice. when i went, you couldn't reserve - i went on someone else's recommendation and wasn't disappointed! hope it works out for you.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 04:35 PM

We camped in the Smokies many years ago. There were private shower facilities nearby the park where you could pay for a shower.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 04:17 AM
mc
Original Poster

Lindainohio,
do you remember where they were exactly? We are going to stay on the western side of the park, probably Elkmont. Do you rememeber where in the park you stayed or where the showers were in relation to this area?

Thanks to everyone for all of the info so far.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 04:58 AM

Here's another suggestion. Jellystone park near gatlin burg www.greatsmokyjellystone.com
We broke up our stay in the park with 1 night here (or you could just reserve one night and use it for day only). They have a nice "tent only" area as well as clean hot showers and swimming pool for $22 a night (or day if you don't want to move your camp)
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 07:07 AM

There's a KOA in Pigeon Forge. They and other RV campgrounds will let you pay for a shower. Just from looking at the Gatlinburg web site, it looks like LeConte RV park has showers and allows tenters (which means they might be more likely to be accomodating to you). We've never had a problem doing this in other locations.

I've take lots of pan baths and used a solar shower but it's not like you are in the middle of no where. You should be able to find a shower fairly easily and boy, will it feel good!
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 08:06 AM

Solar showers are really handy, but be aware that many of the National Parks are requiring that you capture that water and dispose of it at camper sinks and not just let it run off into the dirt.

Utahtea
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 11:43 AM

You can go to Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge and pay $3-5 at some of the commercial campgrounds for a shower. If you stay at Cades Cove you can go to Townsend and pay a minimal amount for a shower at a commercial campground
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 11:45 AM

oops, didn't realize the date - 2005???
hope it was good!
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 11:49 AM

If they haven't had their shower by now, they are REALLY gamey!