Glacier National Park in September

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2016, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to glacier for the first time. Flying into Kalispell and staying in Whitefish. How many days would be ideal for exploring the park and surrounding area. We have already been to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. Would like to concentrate on Glacier.
Old Jul 30th, 2016, 07:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Have you researched the park to determine what your interests are.

You'll have a very long drive to get to the Many Glacier area. Most of the scenery and wildlife are in the eastern side of the park.
Old Jul 31st, 2016, 08:22 AM

What time in September are you arriving? Many services will close after labor day. Do you plan on hiking? Remember Glacier is a hiking park with over 700 miles of trails.
Old Jul 31st, 2016, 08:44 AM

For the first time this year we will be at Glacier in September.
Arrival the 11th and departure the 22nd. We had fou d rooms in Apgar village motel/st mary lodge-a cabin on the river- and Glacier Park lodge. All are properties of Glacier park inc. They close later than xanterra. But I made reservations far ago...
As notified by Myer if Whitefish could be good basis to explore the west part( north fork, apgar, lake mc donald) it's a long way for the west part( two medecine, logan, many glacier). Perhaps you can find something in St Mary or East glacier. Via glacier park inc or the travelers nest in east glacier.
If you are hikers 10 days is a minimum to explore. And insuppose it will have some restrictions due to bear's activities at this time ?
If you are not hikers 6-7 days and also one day in Kalispell, 1-2 days in Bigfork and the jewell basin area and ine day to tour the flathead lake. In addition the whitefish arra...so 2 weeks a minimum.
I will give impression on our late sejour for this year- temperature/conditions for hiking...as i suppose days will be shorter and so back to trailhead to be well calculate...
Erik
Old Jul 31st, 2016, 08:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
My DW and I really liked the Meadow Lake Resort in Columbia Falls which is closer to the park than Whitefish.
If the airfare and rental car are expensive to Kalispell. look at flying to Spokane and either renting a car there or taking the Amtrak Empire Builder overnight to Whitefish.
If you do hike, remember that the bears are preparing for winter. Ask locally where it is safe to hike.
You may also see bull elk and hear them bugling.
Hope that the GTTS road is still open past the Lake McDonald lodge. Be sure to see the Two Medicine area as well.