Manhattan midtown 'quieter' hotel location

Old Apr 8th, 2012, 02:25 AM
abk
Original Poster

Manhattan midtown 'quieter' hotel location

Looking for a quieter street midtown east or west 4 star safe for single lady
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 03:16 AM

I've never stayed here but live nearby; seems to get decent enough reviews.
All of midtown is safe, even at night.

http://www.thebeekmanhotel.com/
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 04:47 AM

Hyatt for me biiding priceline.com $120/nt gold passport member so got club floor free any high up floor away from the lobby will bequiet and safe. booking.com many other great discount no bid options with reviews. Quitest area for me in the past farther away chelsealodge.com
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 06:14 AM

Sofitel is lovely. I really enjoy the Iroquois, too. Same street, W 44th St.
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 06:39 AM

We loved the Sofitel, great hotel in a great location.
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 06:44 AM

Essentially all of Manhattan is safe - but the city is not by nature quiet. If you really need full quiet - no noise from commercial carters picking up at 3 am - no police or fire sirens - I can only reco a high floor in a modern hotel that has double glazed windows.

You may also ask for a room facing an inner courtyard (but this is good only if all the buildings are modern and don;t have through the wall ACs, which you might find noisy).
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 06:55 AM

We bid on priceline, got a hotel a block from Times Square (NICE hotel, just can't remember the name). It was quiet. Don't really understand but others have given qualifications.
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 07:22 AM

There are a lot f hotels on 44th street, and while this blck is very close to Times Square, it's surprisingly quiet. Well certainly not anything like Broadway. Even the Casablanca, which is steps to Times Sqare, is much more tranquil. But I tend to agree that a large modern hotel might offer a quieter room. Take a look at the Yotel. It has very small rooms, but it's on 10th ave and a new building. Rates can be good. Otherwise try a hotel in Murray Hill, which is more of a residential neighborhood. The Tuscany is on a very nice block and quiet.
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 11:40 AM

Our room at the Berkshire Omni was as quiet as a tomb. Really great place.
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 02:46 PM
abk
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies .. Will keep looking. Booked not heave on broadway/77 as a second choice to be near a friend .. Also looking at 70 park??
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 03:28 PM

70 Park was recently remodeled, and the location is very nice. Join Kimpton's "In Touch" program and you'll be assigned a larger room on a high floor, and the internet will be free. Nice bath amenities, coffee/tea/water available in the lobby. We found the hotel to be very quiet.
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 04:54 PM

70 Park was great before the remodel; it could only be better now. I didn't know it was going through a remodel. Good to know! If you stay there, there's a great red sauce Italian across the street: Rossini's. Eat at the bar and relax over a glass of Chianti. I love that place.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 02:17 PM

What makes a room quiet in NYC are these things: location of the room regarding how high is the floor the rm. is on (higher the quieter), where the room faces (street or against another bldg. or alley) and whether or not the hotel has double glazed windows, which really do make for a quiet room. I am noise sensitive and make it a point to find out those things when I book a hotel, and when a request a rm. location.

Some hotels that look like they are in busy locations, like Westin NY close to Times Square, are actually very quiet, they have double glazed windows.

Beyond that it depends what you want to spend. The Westin is very nice, full service and luxurious, I;ve stayed there a few times. Four Points Midtown is also nice on a less luxurious scale and for much less $. I stayed there recently by myself (female) and it was very quiet (high floor, great view) and I felt very safe. It is across from Port Authroity on 40th St. but there are so many people around on the street at all hrs. and several hotels and parking garages on that same block of 40th, it was fine.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 02:19 PM

Also, the Muse is only block off Broadway but it was nice and very quiet in the rooms when I stayed there.

Now I see you said "quieter street." What does that mean? DO you want a street without a lot of traffic or commercial stores, etc? Kind of hard in midtown. Maybe you'll want to look in Chelsea.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 10:26 PM

I have stayed at the Iroquois on 44th and the NY Helmsley on 42nd and both were very quiet. You need to ask for a room at the back at the Helmsley as 42nd Street is so busy. If you are lucky you will get a view of the Empire State Building.
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 05:49 AM

abk:

I have also stayed at 70 Park prior to the remodel and it was lovely. Nice location.

Sandy