Reload this Page >

Manhattan hotels with pools or hot tubs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Sandi

Hello all.... I've posted a few questions recently about a trip I'm planning for next June to Boston and New York to see some baseball. It started out as five ladies and has dwindled to three. One of the three is not interested in the baseball at all, she is just coming along for the heck of it. I originally planned to stay at The Hotel Beacon and am now trying to find other accomodations with an indoor or outdoor pool, or at least a hot tub in a workout room. I know she won't venture out much on her own without us other two gals when we are attending the baseball games, but she will be happy to relax in the hotel with a good book and maybe a swim in a nice pool or soak in a hot tub.

So I've found a few that have pools but was wondering if anyone knows of others out there that I have overlooked. Also, a few places list saunas/gyms in their ammenities but I am unsure if they might include a hot tub.

I know of the Crowne Plaza, the Sheraton Manhattan for indoor pools and I found a Holiday Inn Midtown with an outdoor pool. The Parker Meridian is out of my price range. I understand the Millenium has an indoor pool but was told they are not scheduled to be open for business by that time.

So thanks in advance for any help with this.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 10:37 AM
xxx

Health Clubs in Manhattan are spendy, anywhere from $35-$75 per day. She would have to pay the entrance fee to use facilities.

I wouldn't worry about her not being able to find things to do. She'll be in NYC! On your list, I'd go with the Sheraton.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Sandi

I just found another hotel to add to my list of possibles.... the Melrose Hotel advertises an indoor pool and some in-room jacuzzi tubs.

Any others?

Thanks.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 01:30 PM
s

The Beacon as you know doesn't have a pool but there is a huge new community center around the corner on Amsterdam Ave. They may allow day visitors. Actually she might enjoy the Beacon neigborhood. The hotel is within walking distance of Central Park and Riverside Park. Can't think of a more perfect setting for reading a book. I do it all the time weather permitting.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 02:24 PM
ingrid

We stayed at the Sheraton Manhattan because of the pool (for my daughter), but it is certainly not a "nice" pool (it's okay). Also, there isn't really a lobby for sitting and relaxing.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 09:56 PM
carl

Do not stay at the sheraton!
Read carefully the related posts and you will understand why?

The pool area has not been renovated for 20 years and the lack of maintenance is visible.

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 05:02 AM
suzanne

Central Park is just a few blocks away from the Beacon...if she just wants to relax with a good book, Sheep's Meadow in the park is the best place to go - it's the uptowner's equivalent of a beach! It's a huge grassy meadow where everyone spreads out their blankets, lies around in their swimsuits and sunbathes, and most of all, people-watches.

If you're going to Yankees games (which can take upwards of 6 hours, including travel time), I can't imagine your friend not even leaving the hotel when there's so much outside her door! The Beacon is in such a pretty, mellow, non-threatening neighborhood of low-rise buildings and brownstones, with shopping and two parks within a few blocks away (the other is Riverside Park along the Hudson, where I go frequently to just watch the boats and the kids playing baseball) - you should really consider staying there.

As for hotels in Midtown and Times Square...I wouldn't recommend you stay in the middle of that craziness - it's VERY touristy and crowded and not very pretty.