Maine in late August

Search

Maine in late August

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maine in late August

My husband and I are planning a trip to Maine in late August...what would be the best place to fly into to begin our trip along the coast? We will be renting a car and would just like to "play it by ear" as far as hotel accomodations. Do you think we will have problems finding lodging? Also, what are some "not to miss" places along the way. We are planning to stay about 8 days. What will the temp be like? Thanks for any information!
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 08:29 AM

You might find the cheapest airfare is Manchester NH which is less than an hour from Portsmouth NH on the coast/Kittery Maine is right across the bridge. Compare airfare with Portland ME. Some people like the southern coast of Maine best for sandy beaches, restaurants, more upscale/tourist oriented areas. But we prefer the mid-coast area usually staying on Rt 95 until we get to Brunswick then going on Rt 1. In this area you can probably play it be ear if you aren't too fussy about accomodations. We usually camp but pass many smaller mom & pop type of hotels/motels that look perfectly fine. Our traveling rule of thumb is to find a place by 4 or 5 in the afternoon. Camden is a not to miss town where you might have a problem finding vacancies on the weekend because it is so popular. August is usually great bug-free weather. But it could be a cool week or hot and humid. Weather in New England is very changeable. One time we had a 4th of July family picnic in York ME where is was foggy and a bit cool but inland it was sweltering.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 08:37 AM

You could fly into Boston (about 1 hr drive from ME border), Portland, ME or Manchester, NH depending on price and availability of flights. Temps will be anywhere from very hot to quite cool, sunny or foggy, raining or not! That's New England so bring layers. Depending on how much driving you want to do, Kennebunkport and Ogunquit in southern ME are nice, Boothbay Harbor and Camden in mid-coast ME and, of course Bar Harbor with Acadia Nat'l Park farther north. I think weekend accommodations might be dicey without reservations. Midweek might be OK if you stop or call ahead that day early enough. We were in Portsmouth, NH overnight last Wed. and were amazed at how crowded it was. Just be aware that driving along Rt 1, the "coastal route" isn't really on the water. You have to get off on more secondary, residential roads or go down dead-end peninsulas to reach the ocean.
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 07:35 AM

We just got back from our third trip to Maine. Our first was in August 2 years ago. We land in Portland.

Don't miss the St. George Peninsula. I love the towns of Tenant's Harbor and Port Clyde. Make a reservation for the ferry to Monhegan Island at Port Clyde. Take along a picnic lunch and hike around the island. Wonderful views. Not many resources on Monhegan. There is a small grocery store and a wonderful cafe ( try the chowder), lots of art galleries though. If you want you can stay overnight on the Island, several hotels,you can leave your car in Port Clyde. While in Port Clyde, eat at the Dip Net.

We drove all the way to Calas and New Brunswick this last trip. Bring your passport and check out Campobella Island. We stayed at the Lupine Lodge, wonderful and great restaurant. We loved FDR's summer home and the lighthouse on Campbella.
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 08:14 AM

Forgot to mention.... in Rockland right off Main Street, the Cafe Miranda is a fantastic place to eat. If you know you are going to be in the area earlier in the day call for reservations. http://www.cafemiranda.com/

Also in Rockland, Archipelago sells items made by artists who live on the islands of Maine. A wonderful shop. http://www.thearchipelago.net/

2nd Read on Main Street in Rockland is a great cafe/coffeshop/used bookstore.

Also when we were there in August, the days were in the'70's and'80's but the nights were cool. We had rented a cottage and needed the fireplace going at night. Bring a sweater or fleece for nighttime.

Also when you drive up on highway one, stop at the Prison Store in Thomaston. Thomaston Cafe is nice place for breakfast or lunch.

We enjoyed the Olson House in Crushing. Admission comes with a ticket to the Farnsworth Museum in Rockland. A must if you like Andrew Wyeth. http://www.farnsworthmuseum.org/
The museum has a great gift shop.

Lighthouses are all over. Our favorites are Marshall Point by Port Clyde and the Rockland Lighthouse. At the Rockland lighthouse, you must walk out almost a mile on a huge rock breakwater to reach the building. Fun. Both places offer a nice place to walk by the rocky coast.

Don't miss Camden Hills State Park, climb Mt. Battie in your car and then cross the highway and walk down to the sea. Nice easy hikes along the water.
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the wonderful information...we have now decided to go the 2nd week of September but will try to do and see all of the great suggestions!