Family resort in Palm Beach?

Jul 25th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Family resort in Palm Beach?

I have been a victim of high fuel prices. I bought tix for my family to go to RSW (staying in Naples at the Edgewater) a few months back for a Dec trip ($150 ea RT). I just got notice that we now would have to make a stop getting to RSW. This trip came about b/c Airtran had non-stops here and so I based our trip around this. I have 2 little ones and this will be our first real vacation. I am disappointed, but we still may keep our plans and endure the longer travel time. But, we have the option to fly into PBI instead, which will be staying non-stop (or so they say.) Any thoughts on very nice (up to about $400/night) places to stay (within an hour max of Palm Beach)that are family friendly, on the beach, and preferably has things we can walk to (restaurants, etc)? I am having a hard time locating anything like this so I ask for your suggestions.

Thank you for helping me make my decision!

Sarah
Jul 25th, 2008, 12:14 PM

Sarah,

The very best resort in Palm Beach hands down is the Breakers. It is directly on the beach and walking distance to restaurants. Additionally the hotel is family friendly.
Jul 25th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

I was there for a couple of nights 10 yrs ago...I don't remember much. Plus, I was not with kids as I will be now! There are places we can walk to? How close is it to PBI?

Thank you!

Sarah
Jul 25th, 2008, 12:38 PM
GoTravel

Love The Breakers!

Also, The Boca Raton Resort may be a tad more kid friendly.

Ritz-Carlton (Manlapan) is known for its kids clubs.

Jul 25th, 2008, 04:18 PM

You might take a look at the Delray Beach Marriott...it is a unique property as it sits at the end of Atlantic Avenue which is a VERY active area with tons of shops, restaurants....I think it would be about 20 minutes south of PBI.

It is not as "fancy" as the Breakers, Ritz or Boca Resort, but probably more family friendly & more restaurants & shops in walking distance. Nice spa too.

I would not consider Boca Resort within walking distance of anything....didn't think Breakers or Ritz had much that close, but I may be mistaken.

Fort Lauderdale would still be within the 1 hour drive from PBI...there are some nice properties there on the beach...
Jul 25th, 2008, 06:10 PM

The Ritz Carlton that GT mentioned finished a 60 million dollar renovation last year. The rates are much lower here than the Breakers.
Jul 25th, 2008, 06:25 PM

We stayed at the Ritz in Manalapan with a pre-teen and teen (boys). They really liked it there.
Jul 25th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the suggestions! The Boca Resort looks fun, and 45 min from PBI isn't too bad. We are considering going for my son's 4th b-day week, 2nd week of October. How would the weather be then?

Have any of you been there recently? I look on Trip Advisor and just get more confused. Is it as nice as it looks online? They have a 2BR Bungalow which would suit our needs nicely...just a bit concerned about going in Oct instead of our prior plans of Naples in early Dec.

Thank you flgirl, vjpblovesitaly, gotravel, ratravlers, andrew8, Jaya for your help!

Sarah

Jul 26th, 2008, 05:05 AM

rungirl, we stay at the boca resort every decemeber after christmas at the bungalows. a couple of things you should know. the bungalows are gorgeous. They are housed in a 3 story apartment building that reminds me of melrose place (the TV show). the interiors are as gorgeous as they look on line. The bungalow apartments are fully furnished with a big kitchen, dining area, etc. They look like W hotel apartments. The area also has its own pool. The downside though is that it is a bit of a walk to the main part of the hotel (all within the resort enclosure but a walk away--about 10 minutes-- but there are shuttles running every 15 minutes that take you to the hotel and to the beach club. (the main boca resort is not on the beach, but there is the beach club - that is currently being renovated that is part of the resort-- you can get beach chairs, towels, etc still). If you stay at the bungalows you can walk to mizner park pretty easily-- 15 minute walk-- and there are plenty of restaurants and shopping there. If you and your family are big breakfast eaters, the breakfast buffet at the main hotel is amazing, but pricey, so get the breakfast plan OR just cook in-- the bungalows give you that option.

People have differing views of the Boca resort, and i think alot depends on your expectations. people who stay in the cloister part of the hotel are often disappointed as they think they are going to get 5 star rooms and they aren't, but they are the cheapest part of the resort. Ever since they built the bungalows, we always stay there with our little one. (We have also stayed at the yacht club and towers section alone and when she was smaller).

If you stay at the Ritz in manalapan- and for under 400 a night you might not get a large room, there isn't much in walking distance. It's amazing, don't get me wrong, but it wouldn't be my first choice with little ones.
Jul 26th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I am still having trouble letting go of the Naples plan, but I feel that I must given the less than desireable flights now available to us. I just booked 5 nights at the Boca Raton Resort in their 2 BR Bungalows...I hope it is fun and I really don't mind having to take their transportation to get around. Naples next time!

Our flights to PBI are only about 2.5 hrs and that is a no brainer vs the almost 7 hrs to RSW since the flight changes.

Thank you again for all of your input and of course I will post a report after I get home!

Sarah
Jul 27th, 2008, 06:47 AM

sarah, if you like spa, definitely book some treatments. the boca resort spa is one of the nicest I have ever been to.
Jul 28th, 2008, 05:45 AM

I was just at the Boca Resort for a stay last month. We stayed in a Yacht Club Suite. The beach itself is accessed by a shuttle (I find that a hassle.) I do not consider this a true beach resort & if that is what you are looking for, you may be disappointed. The pool is not anything amazing (especially from a kids point of view...no waterfalls, slides or anything).

I really think Boca Resort is just "ok" and that you can do better. It is definitely not a place that will offer much for your kids.

You do realize that the beaches on the East coast do not have that gorgeous soft white sand that Naples has....it is darker and more coarse. Larger surf too...

It's only a little more than a 2 hour drive from PBI to Naples...would you consider that? It is a straight shot across "Alligator Alley" through the Everglades...you'd definitely see some gators on the way & the kids would enjoy that! You could even spent a night or 2 on the East coast & then drive across to Naples for a few days....just an idea...

Jul 28th, 2008, 11:15 AM

I think whether or not the resort has something to offer your kids depends on your kids and their ages. Their kids' club is for kids 3 or older. they also offer tennis clinics as well i think. if they're very young, then any pool or beach will probably be great for them (also as noted, the pool at teh bungalows is separate from the resort pool). again, to each his own, but we really enjoy the resort. But for a trip coming up just me and dh, we're going to palm beach.
Jul 28th, 2008, 03:04 PM

and I do agree that there's nothing like those west coast florida beaches with kids-- so calm and tranquil and the sand is gorgeous. either way,I think you will have alot ofo fun!
Jul 29th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your input! You will think that I am crazy, but I just cancelled our Boca res. given the fees my airline was going to charge me to change (long story, even though they changed my original flights, they were still attaching fees to change!) so it didn't make sense to go to PBI, but to just get a refund (they were willing to do given they changed our flights) and start all over. We are back to our original plan of St Pete/Clearwater, or even less desirable travel times to get to Naples. I agree that being on the gulf side with a 2 and 3 year old will be better, and since I am starting all over, that is where we will go. Jet Blue starts flights to Tampa on Nov 2nd from my airport so we may just do that (their flight to RSW is fine, but brings us home at 11:30pm!)

I have made this more confusing than it needs to be, but it is only b/c I want to make a good choice, have lots of info to help me, and have a good flight there and back.

Thank you again for your help. I am going to do some research about Clearwater and St Pete (already booked the Don and cancelled the Don months ago....lol...) and see.

Sarah