Affordable family resort in FLA in August?

Jun 23rd, 2007, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Affordable family resort in FLA in August?

Wondering what family resorts offer great deals in August?

We're considering sweating it out if the place offers a beach and kid/teen activities. Could be Georgia/South Carolina. We just need it to be a convenient plane trip from Philadelphia. I'm kinda assuming things might be cheaper in August because of the weather. I could be very wrong though...

TIA.

Lisa
Jun 23rd, 2007, 08:51 AM

While many have their opinions, South Florida in July and August can be beautiful if you understand the weather.

You get up early and do your beach stuff before noon. There's always a breeze on the ocean so it won't be too hot. Lotion, lotion!!!!

Then do you indoor things when it rains between noon and 4PM.

Then as late afternoon and evening approach you're back on the beach for play and possible dinner.
Jun 23rd, 2007, 02:16 PM

I live in South Florida with my young family. I agree with Myer but lately when it rains if at all it seems to be in the later afternoon so you can get a good day at the beach. Anyway I would be happy to suggest resorts for you if you are looking South and you tell me your price range.
Jun 24th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses! South Florida sounds perfect. We are a family of six and want a resort that will cost between $2000 and $2500 (activities included). Something that would make our 4,8,11,and 14 year olds happy (especially that teenager).

Would like it to be a fairly short ride (30-45 mins) from a main airport (flying from Philly). Is that possible?

Thanks again.

Lisa
Jun 24th, 2007, 07:52 AM

I will suggest a few places for you. If you are looking for an all inclusive there is the Club Med Sandpiper in Port St. Lucie that may appeal to you with the different ages of your children. The closest airport would be Palm Beach International in West Palm Beach which would be about 45 minutes away. We were at Club Med a few years ago when my son was about 2 (he is now 6) I don't think it is on the beach though but I may be wrong you would have to check that out. The resort is nice not fancy at all but there are alot of things for the kids to do. Another place is Hawks Cay Resort on Duck Key but it is a little further from an aiport then you want. We went there last summer and we all enjoyed it (my kids are 6 and 8). There is alot to do in the Upper Keys - water sports, fishing, boating and the resort has a dolphin program. You would fly from Philly to Miami International Airport and then it is about an hour and a half drive. If that is too far you I would also look into the Fountainbleau Hotel on Miami Beach. They have Tower Suites which really work great for a family. The hotel is right on the beach and has a great pool. This would be more of a freestyle vacation but there is alot to do and see within 30 minutes of the hotel. Plus South Beach is 10 minutes away with great shopping and even better restaurants. We like to take our kids to Lincoln Road on the weekends to stroll, have lunch and people watch. There is a Loews on South Beach that is a great hotel but you will probably get more room in the suites at the Fountainbleau. I hope this helps! Enjoy!
Jun 24th, 2007, 08:19 AM

I've said it before, but the best beaches in August would be in the Panhandle of Florida. Plenty of sun, less rain than South Florida and slightly less humidity.

Jun 24th, 2007, 08:56 AM

Right now in central FL the hottest time of the day is 1-5pm, and the sun isn't seting until 8:30, so there is lots of daylight...
Jun 24th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I will check out Hawk's Cay and Club Med! I'll let you know what we decide!

Lisa
Jun 24th, 2007, 11:55 AM

Great post - I'll be interested to hear what you decide!
Jun 24th, 2007, 05:02 PM

At Hawks Cay you want to stay in the townhomes/villas. Its a little more money but I have heard negative things about the rooms in the main building.