Maine Bar Harbor lodging help

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 04:36 PM
Nancy

Maine Bar Harbor lodging help

Looking for suggestions for a hotel or B/B in Bar Harbor for three or four nights in August. Husband, wife and 20 year old son. Just need a place to sleep. Plan on spending days out and about. Don't want to spend a small fortune. Prefer in town. Thanks. I know you like people to do research, but this is how I do it!!

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 04:44 PM
steve

Ok then if this is how you do it, try typing Bar Harbor into the text search and read all of those posts first.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 04:47 PM
jersey

Bar Harbor Motel.It's on the outside edge of town. But, it's family-run, clean, has suites,heated pool, and shuttle buses that run you to town & other points of interests for free every 15 minutes morning thru night. We have stayed there two different years. It's nice & not too pricey. I think you'll like it. Search the web & visit.

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 07:10 AM
Linda

"I know you like people to do research, but this is how I do it!!"

Most lodging in Bar Harbor is upscale and expensive. There are a few nice, but moderately priced places to stay. Those of us who know about them have found them through much research - tour guides, web searches, and looking around while there for future reference.

If you think we're going to tell you about the hidden jewels we've found in response to an inquiry like that - well, you would be mistaken.

The Bar Harbor Motel is just fine. And, it's exactly what you're looking for. What "others" would you need or want?

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 08:21 AM
Jayne

At the Bar Harbor Motel ask for the rooms at the very top of the hill, they cost alittle more but, we woke to deer grazing in the yard off the deck. There are nice woods for you to trek thru just outside your front door. There are no restaurants on premises so be aware of this, I believe they have continental breakfast. If you are going into Acadia NP take food, water, etc. Also there are no bathrooms at the top of Cadillac Mountain. We had a wonderful packed (it ourselves)lunch looking at the view, you must bring all of your trash out but we spent the afternoon and even napped on the rocks. We were their in Oct and it was cool, please DO NOT MISS THIS. ENJOY.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 05:01 AM
Dick

W e stayed at the Quimby House, a small hotel located a few blocks from the center of town.

http://www.quimbyhouse.com/index.html

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 03:21 PM
Nancy

Thanks for the ideas.

To those who don't want to help, I wonder if the owners of those "gems" would appreciate your not spreading the word.

I do my research. I talk with people, read books, do internet searches, etc. Asking on this website is just one small part of research. To those who thought I was being lazy, too bad you assume so much. You need to stop reading things into innocent posts and start helping. Why else are you here?

Most of Fodor's is very helpful. It seems that there are a few people here in the Bar Harbor/Maine area who aren't. If that's indicative of what I will run into on my trip to Maine, then I may wind up wishing I'd gone elsewhere.

Oh yes, not all of us have the chance to go to the area to do research for future trips. Enjoy your "gems".

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Deborah

Nancy:

I stayeed a the Holiday Inn Sunspree. It's only a few minutes drive from town and has a nice pool with a view of the lake behind it. It's reasonable, although I was there in October. You will love Bar Harbor. It was one of my favorite all time trips. The park is a lovely drive. The also have whale watching excursions from town and the town itself is small and quaint. Enjoy your trip. If you are a member of AAA, you can go to their office and get the book on Maine and there may be some other budget accommodations listed. Enjoy your trip.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 04:48 AM
jaci

I was in Bar Harbor two years ago. I was able to stay at the Marriott property - I think a Fairfield Inn - right next to the Holiday Inn Sunspree. It was a lot cheaper, offered a free cont'l breakfast AND we were able to use that fabulous Sunspree pool. I would check that out with the Fairfield Inn before booking, but that would be my recommendation. I loved Bar Harbor!! Have a great trip!

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 09:48 AM
addie

ALso stayed at the Bar Harbor Motel. Can't beat the price. It is clean and convenient.

Old Feb 1st, 2003, 10:23 PM
JBT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wife and I stayed in Southwest Harbor, plus or minus 45 minutes away from Bar Harbor, and loved it. Several places there. DEFINITELY try the sea kayaking!
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 10:48 PM

What does the attitude of travelers posting on Fodor's have to do with the demeanor of people in Maine?
Why are you jumping to the conclusion that people in Maine would act like Linda, is she from Maine?

Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 03:55 AM

Steve sure is rude...must not have much of a life I guess.

There aren't many chain hotels in BH so it's all going to be the local flavor. There is one right on the coast but I do not recall the name. It is right by the docks and downtown and seemed to have the best location.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 04:50 AM

Hey JBT,(Or anyone else that has stayed there) I'm staying at the Wonderview Inn around Bar Harbor for three nights but, I have a fourth night I could stay somewhere else in that area. Maybe, Southwest Harbor is it. Where did you stay? How was it compared to the other areas? Thanks!
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 06:59 AM

I have to clarify JBT's statement about SW harbor, it is a great place to stay, but saying it is 45 minutes from BH makes it sound like it is farther away than it is. (I don't think it took me 45 mins to get there but maybe the drive was so enjoyable that I didn't realize) SW Harbor is still in acadia just a different end of it and well worth the visit. I often suggest on here that people give SW Harbor a shot to stay in.

also, the ledgelawn inn (request the carriage house rooms), and ulikana B&B (spelling?) are very nice in BH.

Definitely kayak (we launched in SW harbor), bike the carriage paths, and whale watch, and see all you can of acadia....have fun.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 01:12 PM

We also stayed at Bar Harbor Motel and it was not luxurious but nice. We had the room up the hill. I believe, it was the building way up and the only one to have a full length patio in front.It was wooded and more private.It was a very nice extra feature. Enjoy your stay. It is a great place to visit.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 12:34 AM

IN BAR HARBOR I STAYED AT THE
ACADIA INN A FEW MINUTES FROM TOWN AND FROM ACADIA NATL PARK
IT WAS VERY NICE / OUTDOOR POOL
FREE BREAKFAST (HELP YOURSELF TO BAGELS
MUFFINS COFFEE ETC)
HIKE OR BIKE ALL OVER ACADIA NATIONAL PARK LOTS OF GREAT TRAILS FOR EVERY LEVEL STOP AT JORDON POND IN THE PARK
FOR POPOVERS
WATCH THE SUNRISE FROM CADILLAC MTN