Bar Harbor hotels or inns

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just learned that the wonderful place we stayed on our last visit to BH is no longer available: The inn (Bayview) has been turned back into a private home. Our room in that inn was terrific-- great views, very spacious, very like the feel of a "real" room (though more "royal" than our bedroom at home certainly) rather than a hotel room, etc. But what's available at the site now seems to be motel/hotel-like accommodations. (It's in a great spot though.)I've looked at Trip Advisor and also at several websites, but I'm having a lot of trouble distinguishing among the places. I'm hoping Fodorites can help.
What we're looking for is an upscale place, hopefully with a fireplace, definitely with a king bed, and most important nice and quiet and private.
Feedback gratefully appreciated.
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 05:29 PM

hi poss, there is a very nice lady from maine, sn: marionck - who is on us boards occasionally but frequents the carib board. i wonder if she might have an answer to this question and the white barn alternative query as well. i too suggest you dine there even if you don't stay with them.
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 07:39 AM

poss -- my husband and I stayed at the Bar Harbor Inn last May and it was a great experience. Had a view of the water and a fireplace. The whole room was very nice and although we didn't eat in the restaurant, I have heard good things about it. We'd definitely stay there again.
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 07:49 AM

We stayed in Bar harbor in 2004 at the Bar harbor manor.Great place with a gas fireplace and patio.Check www.barharbormanor.com Paul
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 12:11 PM
mdn

We stayed at the Bass Cottage Inn this summer. It was an unbelievable experience!! Several fireplaces (in most rooms as well as a few more in the public area on the main floor), small library/reading room...
It's like being in a luxurious mansion yet quaint & cozy. We walked/drove around Bar Harbor and really didn't see any other place that could have made us happier...
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 02:18 PM

Hello. If you are open to staying on the 'quietside' of Mount Desert Island away from Bar Harbor, you might try the Ann's Point Inn in Bass Harbor. They have all of the amenities that you mentioned and were just awarded 4 AAA diamonds. They are on the water with wonderful views and an indoor pool. We are thrilled to have upscale accommodations in Bass Harbor which tends towards the quaint. Have a great time.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Very much appreciate the feedback. Continues to be dizzying. (I know-- just choose one....)
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 05:45 AM

We stayed in southwest Harbor in September at the Kingsleigh and cannot say enough wonderful things about it -- really the hosts make it and they have thought of everything. www.kingsleighinn.com I would not hesitate to stay there or recommend it as long as they run it!
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info abt the Kingsleigh Inn. Looks like a pleasant place--and I got a kick out of the photo of the boat on the website; it looks like it may be an Ericson, our former sailboat. Fact is, though, we don't enjoy B&B's. You mention the "hosts" of that inn, and while I know that for many travellers, the "up close and personal" touch is part of their pleasure, we're the opposite: truly do prefer anonymity and privacy. That's why we much prefer inns. Have also found that rooms in B&B's are rarely very spacious, and good size rooms and bathrooms are important to us. Thanks for in-put though; no doubt will help others.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 05:26 PM

poss,

My husband and I often feel the same way about the B & B experience...it's not for everyone or for every mood.

Have you ever considered renting a vacation home dierctly from the owner? That way you have your own space (lots of it), facilities for cooking, making morning coffee, etc. if you want it...and you still have the option of going out for every meal.

Kathleen