Search

Maine Anniversary Trip Help!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maine Anniversary Trip Help!

Hi!

My husband and I are planning our 1st year anniversary trip to Maine Wednesday, August 29 - Monday, September 3, so 6 days including travel days (we are planning to arrive as early as possible to make the most of the trip!) and will be renting a car. We love B&B's and hotels that won't break the bank haha.

We need help with the itinerary. Places/things that are on our "must see/do" list are:

Portland
Acadia - see the sunrise, hike, picnic in the park
Whale watching tour
Find great restaurants (we love food!)
Freeport LL Bean store
See a few of the best Lighthouses
Train or drive to Boston to see Red Sox game and possibly spend 1 night, maybe even fly out of Boston to go home.
Possibly Kennebunkport, Boothbay, Rockport, or Bath???

Thanks in advance and all suggestions are welcomed!

S
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 08:24 AM

Labor day weekend and you don't even have your FLIGHTS booked yet? I hope you have your rental car reserved.

First off...what amount do you consider "breaking the bank" for oceanside accomodations on a holiday weekend? Is $250 per night acceptable or are you looking to stay away-from-the-ocean at the $150 roadside inns?
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 08:42 AM

It's obviously a chain hotel, but you can get a nice view from a lot of the rooms at the Holiday Inn Portland-by-the-Bay. It has an older exterior, but the rooms have been recently renovated and are pretty nice.
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Yes, $250 is about what we were expecting to pay.

Thanks for the Holiday Inn tip!
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 08:55 AM

The Portland food tour of the Old Port Area is fun but takes a good chunk of time. You can have a late lunch (try Duckfat) and will have to go back to the shops if you want to do any shopping.

I would base my itinerary on when you can take a light house cruise. Getting out on the water is great. I would do that instead of a whale watching tour. Near Rockland you can do an easy hike to Owls Head light. Pemaquid Point near Damariscotta is open and in a lovely area. Time your visit to Rockland so you can have a lobster lunch at Waterman's Beach. This is lobster shack eating at picnic tables with limited menu.

Keep in mind that the good lobster places are out on peninsulas that require something of a drive. Usually scenic. We really enjoyed the shack at Cundy's Harbor (east of Brunswick) because of the view and prices. Nice working harbor.

If you get off I95/I295 in Brunswick onto Rt 1 on your way to Bar Harbor, you'll go right thru Wiscasset and Camden. You can get a great view overlooking Camden Harbor (home to several windjammers) if you drive or hike up Mt Battie. Since you are on limited time, I would skip Boothbay.

You don't have time for Boston unless you can get tickets to the game and really want to go.
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for that input! Great advice! I never thought about a light house cruise, that sounds great.
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 10:32 AM

Scratch Boston or really anything south. Portland is a GREAT food town! Spend your nights between Portland Acadia and perhaps the Camden/Rockport area or Boothbay harbor. Search the forum, as there have been a lot of discussions about this part of the country as of late.
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 11:46 AM

Skip Boston and see the SeaDogs in Portland - way more fun, and about 10% of the price of a trip to Fenway. SeaDogs are the AA affliate of the Red Sox.

Acadia is great - popovers at the Jordan Pond House are a great treat.
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 06:14 PM

You might want to check Glenmoor by the Sea in Lincolnville, right outside Camden. We've never been to NE, but will be headed that way in late September. I just checked the days you mention and they do have availability in that time frame. We plan to do a day trip from there to Acadia and spend our other full day in Camden - either a hike or drive up Mt. Battie and a 2 hr. ride on the schooner Surprise.
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 09:20 PM

Just a warning, depending on your departure flight time...Monday Sept 3 is a crazy day to drive out of Maine, with logjams at the toll booths in Maine and New Hampshire. Fly out of Portland if at all possible, or if you're driving to Boston, plan accordingly or stay closer to Logan airport Sunday night.
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 01:18 PM

If you want hiking go to Acadia, and other people were right, do not go farther south than Maine, maybe even Portland. I know Western Maine much better but have been to the coast a few times. Definitely check out Bar Harbor after Acadia. They have some absolutely killer lobster there. Have fun and avoid the traffic.