Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need help planing Maine trip - part ocean, part wilderness

Old Dec 17th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to plan a trip to Maine. 5 days, sometime between Oct 8 - 20. We want to see/photograph moose, etc, spend a couple of nights oceanfront, eat some lobster, hopefully be there for Fall leaf colors. It's our first trip and we regret that we only have a few days but have decided to go anyway. Probably would like to stay at only 2 places - we hate checking in/out. Right now I'm thinking that maybe we'd like to spend part of the trip walking distance to shops, restaurants, etc, although we are perfectly happy to have a kitchen and cook for ourselves for maybe the wilderness portion. Anybody got suggestions? Thanks.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 05:52 AM

Can't type much at the moment, but Bar Harbor/Acadia might work best, and you won't have to do 2 places. I'd aim for earlier in your window.

~Liz
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 08:44 AM

Maine is a very big state. Much of it's interior could be considered wilderness. The Bar Harbor/Acadia suggestion is a good one. Another option might be to do the southern Maine seacoast along with New Hampshire's White Mountains. Maine towns like Ogunquit, Wells, & Kennebunkport have great beaches, lighthouses, great restaurants,shops,scenic rocky coastline, etc. New Hampshire's White Mountains are quite spectacular, with countless hiking trails. Much of the White Mountain National Forest is wilderness, with plenty of moose, bear, etc.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 12:13 PM

I second Bar Harbor and Kennebunkport/Ogunquit. Bar Harbor Inn is on the water and it's a great town with good food.

Bar Harbor Inn @ 7 Newport Drive, Bar Harbor, ME 207 - 288 - 3351.
http://www.barharborinn.com/
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 12:21 PM

Personally, I would fly into Bangor and stay in BarHarbor/Acadia area for the 4 nights. Then spend one day doing a drive into moose country within a 2 hour circumpherence of the area. Take advantage of the most daylight you can and then return to your lodging and dinner in BarHarbor.

Also, I'm not sure if it's changed in the past couple of years, but Columbus Day Weekend is the last big weekend before seasonl shops and resaurants close their doors.
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. Any opinions regarding scooting over to Nova Scotia? What about whale-watching?
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 09:02 AM
LCP

We went on a whale watch from Bar Harbor (end of August) and had a wonderful time. Saw a few whales. Very cold so you need to dress appropriately!

We also stayed at a wondeful bed and breakfast, very reasonably priced, comfortable, clean, fabulous breakfasts. Just a few blocks from the harbor.
Acacia House Inn on High Street

http://www.acaciahouseinn.com/
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 09:39 AM

Even if the ferry to NS hadn't stopped operating, I'd advise against fitting it into your really short trip. The best part is at the far end (Cape Breton), and it really needs a week on it's own.

~Liz
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 10:31 AM

Being out on the water is likely to be ccccccold.

I haven't been, but it has been on my list for awhile. Lubec. It seems to be a town changing and growing.

http://www.visitlubecmaine.com/about.php
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 02:04 PM

You could visit New Brunswick easily from Bar Harbor. Saint Andrews is a neat town on the coast. It's only a few hours from Bar Harbor.
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 02:55 PM

With only five days total, I'd stick with Maine. Two days in Ogunquit/Kennebunkport, a day in Portland (can be an easy day trip from Ogunquit/Kennebunkport), and two days in Bar Harbor/Acadia is a decent amount of time. Good beaches in Ogunquit et. al., and Acadia is gorgeous. Portland has a pleasantly vibrant downtown, a good moderate-sized art museum, and some nice historic houses to tour, not to mention Portland Head Light a bit south of downtown. If a day in a city doesn't appeal, I'd make it three days in the last of these.

Fall leaf color peaks head southward as the season progresses, so going to southern Maine first might arguably make more sense. Depending on the year, fall colors could be past peak in Bar Harbor by early October.
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 03:03 PM

Need to clarify: "If a day in a city doesn't appeal, I'd make it three days in the last of these." By "these" I meant Bar Harbor/Acadia.
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 07:05 PM

I'd vote for Moosehead Lake, then Bar Harbor.
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Any suggestions for cabins to rent (or not to rent) in Moosehead Lake area? Or maybe the White Mtn area in NH?
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 10:59 AM

www.birches.com
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, MissM. Looks like something we would be interested in. Plus, we may have some friends talked into going with us, so a 2-BR would be perfect. Making final decisions next week - can't wait!