Maine itinerary- Sound okay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hubby, myself and two sons ages 14 and 12 are travelling from Ontario Canada to Maine in July. This is what I've booked thus far. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.
Day 1 - leave from home, cross into States at Buffalo, New York
Still trying to decide where to spend the night in order to break up the 12 hour drive. Looking for somewhere probably in New York state, around Albany. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Day 2 - Arrive in Freeport. Shop. Stay the night at Best Western.
Day 3- Head to East Boothbay Harbour. Kids swim in the ocean (never done that before). Spend night at Ocean Point Inn.
Day 4 - Head to The Forks. Spend night at Northern Outdoors.
Day 5 - White Water rafting with Northern Outdoors. Spend the night.
Day 6 - Head back to Ontario, Canada. Will probably spend the night somewhere about half way home.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Jun 26th, 2006, 03:38 PM

From Buffalo to Syracuse is a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive, from Syracuse to the Massachussetts border is a 3-hour drive, it is a 3-hour drive through Massachussetts, a 15 minute drive through NH and about a 2 1/2 hour drive to Freeport. The pit stops are quick and brief and back on the road. The last rest area stop is Kennebunk in Maine before you get off. Depending on the hour of day your getting in, places close early in Maine. The last few years traffic in Maine has been very conjested which means your drive time could be extended. Freeport has a lot of shopping including LL Bean's main store. People will flock there when the whether is bad. Maine and most of the east coast has had lots of rain these last couple of weeks. Ocean Point Inn sits directly across from the ocean (that is if my memory is right). A lot of people just come for a drive for the view and others stay for a week or two. It is very lovely. Even though Boothbay Harbor is very commerical, it is sad that you won't have a little time there or at Ocean Point. You have a whirlwind trip heading to your destination without savoring where you are. Not to mention The Forks is a another 3hour drive north from Boothbay. My personal opinion is that you could use a little more time. Oh, its doable, but I'm not sure what kind attitudes you will have - maybe cranky. You have boys and the last time I remembered - they don't like to shop unless yours are different. There is a lot to see and do in the neighboring villages/towns as well. For example, Boothbay Harbor has boat trips, lobster boats, sloops offering 2 hr cruises & sunset cruises, whale watching, seal & harbor cruises and rentals for kayaking. There are fishing boats that go along the river and others for deep sea fishing. Camden is a big little harbor with lots of big boats with similar boat excursions as Boothbay. Camden has the most beautiful view of Penobscot Bay. And if you like seafood especially lobster, there are lobstermen co-ops for dining on lobster. The seafood is very fresh.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 04:49 PM

I hope yo don't mind my jumping in here:

CherB: Are you able to tell me what you consider to be the best accommodation in Camden? Quiet and privacy are impt to us, as well as great views. We're not fond of Victorian, and while we love antiques, I don't esp. "need" them at an inn. Am more pleased by gorgeous and fresh, spacious surroundings. Any great inns with water views in Camden? thanks!
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 05:18 PM

If I had such a short time for this trip, I would not spend the night in Freeport. Shopping and restaurants there, yes, but continue onward to Boothbay Harbor and spend two nights by the ocean. Will make for a long day of driving and shopping, yes, but having the next two days in one hotel will be well worth it.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 05:25 PM

Note to poss: Check out Glenmoor by the Sea, and Inn at Ocean's Edge.

Also, haven't stayed there, but the inn called "A Little Dream" is often recommended.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:15 PM

don't plan on doing much swimming unless you are polar bears. Years ago my father wanted to get pictures of us swimming in the Atlantic at Boothbay Harbor. I went in to my neck and then swam out. Freezing!!!!
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 01:01 PM

Joesorce: Thanks for those ideas. Do you know Inn at Sunrise Point, by the way? We stayed there 6 or 7 years ago and liked it. How would those others that you mentioned compare, esp. Inn at Ocean's Edge? Same vicinity, yes? (I do hope we can be right in Camden this time though.)
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 02:21 PM

I don't think Poss will find anything "right in" Camden that has the spaciousness and ocean views of Inn at Sunrise Point or Inn at Ocean's Edge. There are some beautiful, quaint B&B's and some with wonderful gardens, but for oceanside and spaciousness you have to go outside of Camden downtown I think.

Inn at Ocean's Edge is more of a hotel while Sunrise Point is a true inn, and Ocean's Edge is probably only a mile or so closer to downtown.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 11:02 AM

Note to Poss: Check out this website:
/www.bnblist.com/me/listings/me-list.htm for B&B. Or just type in B&B Camden Maine. You may want to contact the Chamber of Commerce in Camden (it's on the waterfront in town) at (207)236-4404. One thing to remember when going north on Rte 1 into Camden, Rte 1 becomes Elm St. (where Hartstone is located a couple blocks before downtown) then becomes Main St. in the Downtown area as you move up the hill on the outskirts of downtown it becomes High St.(although it still is Rte 1 as well) I've checked out a few of the websites for the B&B and most have virtual tours. These vary in prices. A Little Dream, The Lodge at Camden Hills, The Ocean Edge, and Castleview by the Sea are all B&B and have ocean views and about a mile or two up the road from downtown and close to each other (and there are few others in the same vicinity, but can't remember). Hartstone Inn does not (I don't think) have an ocean view. Note: When you drive up the hill from downtown you can be across the street on a porch and still have a view (not sure how limited or unlimited) of the ocean. The Sunrise Inn looks quite spacious. It is 4 miles north of Camden and off the main road though it looks like it is facing water. Try checking the distance with mapquest.com or asking the Chamber of Commerce people. Most of them live in the area. There is another one on Bayview St facing the water, but it looked Victorian and I can't remember the name. We don't stay in Camden so I am not sure how helpful I am. We stay in Damariscotta at a cottage on Pemaquid Lake and will often make day trips a couple of times into Camden and various places. We like the best of both worlds with commerical things to do like sunset sailing on a sloop in Camden with hills in the background, having a special gourmet dinner at Harstone Inn (and/or Francine's Bistro) and for the nature side there is Mt Battie for views and trails and other places for Kayaking and canoeing as well as Rachel Carson's Salt Ponds. Cappy's is a fun place to eat in Camden - great chowder.

Note to Taylortroop: I agree with joesorce to stay a couple of nights in Boothbay Harbor instead of Freeport. Just remember you can still drive into Freeport for the day from Boothbay Harbor or not. The weather this year has been colder than usual which means so the ocean may even be colder. We used to go in every year when we would make a trip down to Popham State Beach, though you would be in and out for short jaunts. Bring some boogie boards for your boys for body surfing.
Ocean Point has some great waves.

We will be leaving this Saturday for our 15th year trek to Maine and I can't wait. I am looking forward to going to our favorite place for Lobster at the Lobstermen's Co-Op at Round Pond. Bon Voyage and Good Luck to everyone going on vacation.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:22 AM

Thank you, everyone! And good travels to you...
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 09:30 AM

VERY IMPORTANT POINT:
Anyone traveling the Thruway - as of today 6/29/06 it is STILL CLOSED from the Syracuse area to Albany and parts of Rochester yesterday were closed! You may want to check at the last minute or find alternate routes just in case the day you are leaving it is still closed. We heard from AAA that possibly by Friday it may be open. We are not sure what we are doing because we live in the CNY area the Thruway is our main route to Maine.

Also, those traveling from Canada do the USA, do you need your passports yet or is it next year? Our son needed a special insurance form from the USA while driving in Canada (our insurance agent said Canada was requesting them).
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 11:27 AM

Could you elaborate on that "special insurance form"? I've never heard of it-- and Hertz didn't mention anything when I made our rental reservation. thanks!!
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Note to Poss:
Ask you insurance company or agent. It doesn't cost anything, but it is issued from your insurance company. When you rent a car your normal insurance carries over for a rental so you don't have to pick up extra coverage unless you want to (you can check with your insurance agent about that as well). We had been talking to our ins. person and I happened to mention that our son was going to Canada (one thing led to another) and asked if he needed anything and she said yes much to my surprise. She said Canada now requires US citizens to have them. The little card is no bigger than your license (we keep it with the car registration). The top of the card states:
Canda NON-RESIDENT Inter-Province
Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card
Certificat D'Assurance - Automobile Responsabilite
Listed below on the card is the pertinent information: the primary ins. holder's name, car model, insurance policy name & number, effective date (which is for 6 mos.)and the agents name. The Ins. agent said to allow for an hour or so before they were ready. We had them made up for each of the cars. I hope this helps.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:22 PM

Thruway was open this afternoon 6/29/06.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 07:02 PM

Some good suggestions here, but I'm not sure why CherB has you driving down to Massachusetts, taylort.

I do agree with joesorce in that you may want to skip spending the night in Freeport unless your planning on checking out the state parks on the water.

Also, as stated, this itinerary may be a bit of a squeeze time wise with not much time to catch your breath or enjoy each area.
Enjoy!
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 04:15 AM

CherB: thanks much for your reply. I will check with my insurance company. I've never had the impression that my car insurance covers the extra, by the way. It's been my Visa card that allows me to waive the extra coverage, I thought. Clearly, I better check on all this. Thanks again.
By the way, I don't know which I'm more excited about-- our upcoming Sept. trip to Canadian Rockies-- our first-- or our repeat trip to the Maine Coast next May (my husband has a thing to do at Colby, so nice excuse to revisit....)
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 07:13 AM

Note to cybor:
Have you read everything from the beginning? I did not plan taylortroop's trip I was explaining the time it takes to drive across NYS and Massachussets and through Maine since we have driven this route numerous times. The Mass pike is actually quicker than going through the mountains and small villages/towns through VT and NH and then into Maine. However, if the NYS Thruway is closed it is an alternate route to take. My husband's sister lives in Keene, NH and they have had problems as well with rain. I'm sure everyone is open to suggestions if know of a better route.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 07:40 AM

Note to Poss:
For information only: When my husband travels for business and needs a rental car, everything is covered by the company including extra ins. if you need it. When traveling abroad, it is best to get an international driving license because if you get into an accident you must surrender your driver's license. This is mandatory. What AAA told us (that is if your in an accident) when surrendering your license, give the police your International Driver's license not your local state one. Canada does not require an International Driver's License, but the insurance card instead.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the review of my itinerary. Not having been to Maine before, it's hard to know where to spend the most time. I will re-think the night in Freeport, but don't know what time we'll get in that day and if the stores are closed, I'll want some time the next day to shop. We're also in no hurry to get to The Forks because our rafting isn't until the following day. I understand the ocean will be very cold, but I'll need to have a picture of the boys swimming in the ocean. I'm a scrapbooker, so you understand my need for photo opportunities. Again thanks for the help and can't wait to visit your wonderful state.