Reload this Page >

Mailing Souvenirs from Maui

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Isabel

My Husband and I want to buy quite a few souvenirs for family and friends when we are in Maui. I don't want to lug a lot of purchases back home, so I thought it would be easier to just mail a package to myself. Do you think this would be really expensive? Are there places like Mailboxes Etc in Maui? I also thought of buying a box of pineapples and mailing them home, I heard that some stores will do this for you for a fee. Anyone have any suggestions on getting purchases home without it costing a fortune?

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Hattie

FYI, all the fruit vendors will ship anywhere.
REMEMBER MAUI IS IN HAWAII AND HAWAII IS A UNITED STATES STATE! Same money, same postage, same language! U-S-A ! ! !

What you have in New York, LA, Spokane, Dallas, etc., you have in Maui, Hawaii, USA ! ! ! ! !

Want to save the shipping costs? Have the fruit places delivery your order directly to the airport and you can have the airline place them on your flight to the mainland.

Aloha!

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Isabel

I KNOW Hawaii is part of the United States, but I wasn't sure if it would cost a fortune to mail a box to the mainland due to distance! I'm asking for economical suggestions from other visitors that may have done this, or have any tips on where it would be cheapest to mail the box, ups? post office? I will consider having it delivered to the airport, thanks for the suggestion.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Melissa

There is a store in Maui called Hilo Hattie. I was just looking at their website and they say it's free shipping for purchases $100 or more. this may only be if you buy from the website, but it couldn't hurt to ask them if shop at the store.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 09:16 AM
dorothy

At the Lahaina Post Office, you can purchase a box, borrow tape, and mail your package US priority mail. My package arrived home the next day.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Tom

I sent some things Priority mail last December from Honolulu back to the mainland at the post office. Cost was the same.
I'm sure there are post offices on Maui, and there surely would be something along the lines of MBE. However, with the private companies, you know they're going to charge more because of the distance etc.
Just depends what you get. Small, sturdy things can go USPS pretty easily and for reasonable prices. Don't know that I'd trust them with antiques and glass.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 09:38 AM
mary

I mail stuff from Hawaii all the time, yes it is expensive if you want to send stuff Priority Mail. (If you don't use Priority Mail the box can take 6 weeks.) At Christmas I normally spend about $30-$40 to ship large 20 pound box. When you shop for souvenirs, look for stuff that is light!

Also, consider bringing an empty suitcase or pack an empty duffel bag with your luggage and use that to bring stuff home.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Isabel

Thanks for the great advice. Spending $30-40 on a 20lb box sounds reasonable, and worth not lugging it home, I have a bad back and don't want to overload. Melissa - thanks for the idea - I'm thinking if I spend a lot a one place, they may be more willing to work with me on shipping it back home at a reasonable cost, rather than buying one thing from a bunch of shops, besides, I don't want to spend my entire vacation shopping! Thanks again for your replies.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Melissa

Isabel:
Hilo Hattie is a HUGE store and should have everything you could possibly want. Have a wonderful trip!

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 12:58 PM
noname

I did all of my Christmas shopping in Hawaii last year and was leary of shipping my new purchases for fear of damage so, I went to the local post office purchased a good size box and shipped my clothes for about $35. We also bought pineapples at the airport and they made arrangements for them to board the plane and when we arrived at home they were their. Well worth it!