Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have suggestions for the best way/place to view the parade (other than in front of the TV!!). Best place to park (if driving), best place to watch, time to arrive, etc...thanks for any advice
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 10:12 AM

I think this has been discussed. Use the search bar. At home is the best place to watch
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 10:19 AM

Been to the parade, crowded (you've never been this crowded before), and denied access to any good viewing place (I'll never spend another buck in Macy's for that reason).

TV is my option.

That said, if a really good friend had an apartment on the route with 4th floor viewing, that would be the best viewing spot.

Best place to park, 9th avenue.
Time to arrive, 7 am.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 10:33 AM

Best place to park depends on where you're driving in from. YOu don't want the parade to be in your way when it's time to go home. 9th Ave is a good option if you're coming from north or west of the city. If you're coming from the east, stay on the east side and walk over.

A few years ago, we arrived on Central Park West and 7AM and were still able to find spots at the curb. 30 minutes later, it had mostly filled in. The parade begins at 9AM.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

ellenem and gb944 thanks for the advice
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 01:47 PM

Best time to arrive is early - at least 2 hours before the parade starts to get a decent spot. the farther uptown you go the less crowded it will be - but that is only relative. Once you've decided where you want to stand go to iconparking.com to see garages in the area - but do be aware that rates are much higher on holidays and parade days if you're anywhere near the route of march.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 02:20 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
We were there last year, staying at the Muse. After breakfast we walked out the door and up a 1/2 block and watched some of the parade go by. We were behind other people but saw enough for about 30 minutes.

Then, we went back to the hotel, got back in bed and watched the rest of the parade on TV.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 04:24 PM

I'd say the best thing to do is watch the parade along the northern end of the route near the beginning. The year I did this, crowds were not too deep along Central Park West, probably around 70th St - only three or four people deep. Not bad at all, and you get a really close-up view of the floats. You can't see the TV performances anywhere along the route, and it's much more crowded down closer to the finish at Herald Square. One other advantage to watching closer to the beginning is that you get done earlier.

If you enjoy the parade, and can find a decent spot, it can be a lot of fun in spite of the comments above.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 06:50 PM

Smetz, elenem, and others have given you good advice!

When our daughters were young, we attended the parade several years, arriving each time at the Upper West Side early enough to get curbside viewing space. I always took along something--vinyl tablecloth, cushions, or pieces of carpet--for them to sit on and to try to define 'their' space.
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the good advice everyone
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 06:00 AM

Also a mob scene but...they blow up the balloons the night before on 77th & 79th Sts. by the Museum of Nat History. It's kind of fun to watch a balloon or two get blown up and then you can claim it as "yours" when you watch the parade the next day from the comfort of your pj's and TV. Not quite as time consuming as watching the parade the next day.

I really don't remember what time it all starts, someone else may.
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 06:16 AM

Just a reminder: the route of the parade is changing this year. The parade will not go down Broadway at all. Instead, it will zigzag its way downtown.

Begin at Central Park West and 77th St and goes south to 59th St
Turns east onto 59th St and goes to 7th Ave
Turns south onto 7th Ave and goes to 42nd St
Turns east onto 42nd St and goes to 6th Ave
Turns south onto 6th Ave and goes south to 34th St
Turns west on 34th St and ends at 7th Ave

http://gonyc.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1...cysparade.com/