Mackinac Islands- Advice needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am planning on visiting Mackinaw islands in september... i would be starting from detroit in the morning for mackinaw islands, stayting one night there and returning back to detroit the next day.
My question is, where should I stay (island itself or on mackinac city) and is there any tourist attractions on mackinac city? thanks
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 07:42 AM

There is plenty of lodging on both the island (spelled Mackinac) and the city (spelled Mackinaw). So, if your primary goal is seeing the island, stay there. Otherwise, it may not matter much.

Keep in mind that you'll have about a 5 hours trip (maybe 4.5 depending on traffic) to get to Mackinaw city. Then the trip to the island. So you'll have an afternoon and evening. Then, just the next day.

On the island there is Fort Michilimackinac which is an interesting historical site. There is some very nice walking/hiking through the center of the island. You can play golf (I think - there is a course, not sure if it's private). You can also rent bicycles and ride the 8 mile perimeter of the island, stopping to go wading and look for Petoskey stones. There is also plenty of touristy shopping, though some shops may be closed in September.

There is also plenty of touristy stuff in Mackinaw City. I'd guess if you search here, you may find more info.

What do you want to do? Why did you choose Mackinac/Mackinaw? Also, what is your budget for lodging? How many people in your party? How old are they? Those answers may help people give you more specific advice.

Old Aug 13th, 2004, 12:44 PM

jlm_mi, you get a 95% on that one Fort Mackinac is on the Island, Fort Michilimackinac is in Mackinaw City at the foot of the Bridge.

There are two golf courses on the Island, the Grand's and a semiprivate 9 hole course. The Grand Hotel's course has the added feature of a horse and carrage ride between the 9th & 10th holes. It runs about $100 for a round.

The Mackinaw Club south of Mackinaw City is a public 18 hole course that costs a small fraction of that.

In addtion to the Fort & golf, Mackinaw City has many gift & fudge shops, live theater, a water park, lighthouse museum, Wilderness State Park and Mill Creek historic park. There are many festivals and free outdoor entertainment, but those are mostly Memorial Day - Labor Day.

http://www.mackinawcity.com/ is a good site for comparing and booking rooms in Mackinaw City.

Keith
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 06:38 PM

95% is still an A. It's been a long time - probably 10 years since I was on the island, though I did spend a month there one summer in college. That was so nice.

But you should have shared your photo journal with Amps! Amps, click on Keith's name above his post and find his Mackinac photo journal post. Check it out - you'll want to go!
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your awesome advice. I will be in Detroit for business so I thought I will go up north and visit Mackinac island.
My plan was to leave Detroit by 8am, reach Mackinac island by 2pm or so. I want to ideally spend the night in the island, so that next morning I can spend some more time in the island. Then, the next day, leave the island by noon to catch the flight back from detroit.
Also my hotel budget is around $60/night.
So the question is
i) Will I find accomodation in the island with my budget?
ii) If I stay in mackinaw city (where accomodation is cheaper), is there stuff to do (to spend half a day).
Thanks so much
-Amps
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 08:40 AM

Most of the inexpensive Island hotels are still going to be closer to $100. Here is a little place with something in your range http://www.mcnallycottage.net/ I can't tell you anything about it.

"If I stay in mackinaw city (where accomodation is cheaper), is there stuff to do (to spend half a day)."

There is more to do in Mackinaw City than the Island, but much less atmosphere. If you get poor weather, the City will also be warmer.

Be sure and at least drive over the bridge before you head back. And, if you spend the night in Mackinaw, you will want to be sure to go down to the water after dark for the view of the lighted bridge. It is spectacular.

While you are in the Straits, it is almost obligatory that you buy some fudge. IN fact anywhere with a hundred miles, tourists are called Fudgies.

"95% is still an A"

Oh, you still got a strong grade! I am sensitive to the difference in the two names, not just because I grew up in Mackinaw City, but because I worked 5 summers at Michilimackinac in the '70s. Giving tours, firing the musket & canon, working in the blacksmith shop.

Did you work during your month on the Island, jlm_mi?

BTW: If you have not been to the City in 10 years, I think you will be amazed at the changes. Most of them good.

Keith