Luxury Non-Disney Family Vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're thinking of going to Orlando in July or August with me (30 year old woman), my husband, my mom, my grandma and my 8 month old son. Although my husband and I love Disney, we just went last year and don't feel the need to go again so soon. We just thought that Orlando was baby friendly, has lots of stuff to do, places to eat and is a non-stop flight from our city (Richmond, VA).

We've stayed at several Disney hotels before (last trip we stayed at the Yacht Club, which was great), but we want to stay off Disney. Fodors seems to recommend the Ritz, The Gaylord Palms and the Hyatt Grand Cypress. I'm getting the best rates at the Hyatt. Would you recommend paying more for the Ritz or Palms? We're thining 5-7 nights (haven't decided yet). We really would like to feel pampered and perhaps get some spa treatments, hang out by a nice pool, etc...

Or any other property that sounds like a better fit?

I'm hoping we can go to Discovery Cove. We've always wanted to go, but never seem to get off Disney to do it. Any other ideas for a family that doesn't involve the theme parks?

Thanks!
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Sorry! I meant to post this in the Florida section. Whoops!
Old May 25th, 2006, 04:21 AM

Seeing how your baby is only 8 months old, I'd say his preferences are a non-issue in your decision making criteria except that wherever you go, make sure it's accessable by stroller and doesn't require a lot of quiet.

I'd say head to a nice beach resort or better yet, rent a house or villa on a nice beach. I would NEVER go to Orlando if I wasn't visiting Disney, especially in July or August. It's too hot, you'll be miserable! Go to the shore where it's cooler!
Old May 25th, 2006, 04:46 AM

There is no Florida section so you're fine. Instead of the Ritz I would recommend the JW Marriott that is connected to the Ritz. It is much more kid friendly and has an awesome pool. You could still use the spa at the Ritz. I'm sure the price is better at JW as well.
Old May 25th, 2006, 05:59 AM

I would have to ditto nina, Orlando in July is awful. It's in the middle of the state, HOT,HOT,HOT. If your not going to Disney, I would stay away from Orlando. I would head to a Beach resort. You could probably get the same flight to Tampa/St. Pete, the beaches are beautiful there. Even NC, Hilton Head maybe? Hope this helps
Old May 25th, 2006, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Actually, we can't get a direct flight to Hilton Head. The Richmond airport sucks! I have been to Florida in the summer before, so I know it's hot and humid. It's not that we won't necessarily go to the parks, but that's just not the focus of the trip.

I do wonder if it's worthwhile to go to the coast for a few days and Orlando for other few. Is Cocoa Beach a nice place to visit? Maybe I'll do my homework on it. We did consider going to VA Beach, Outer Banks...but many of the good beach houses have been taken for the summer, plus there isn't that much to do.

I will check out the Marriot then as well as the Ritz. I also read the Omni is nice.

Old May 25th, 2006, 06:47 AM

My family did a trip where we split between Orlando and St. Pete's in July and we loved it. I don't know that it is all that much cooler at the shore because it still felt hot and humid to us. We had a great time and loved it anyway! I would pick the Hyatt if your baby was older because the pool is awesome, but since the trip is mostly for you adults, go for the Ritz!
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:48 AM

What about Disney's Vero Beach resort, or Amelia Island? There's a Ritz Carlton there that's supposed to be great for families, and a few others, one has a lazy river that you could float in with the baby, I wish I could remember the name of it, it looks very upscale, maybe it's called the Hammocks, or Hammock Dunes? Anyway, it looks like they have nice big suites and a great pool area right on the beach.
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:51 AM

I found it, Hammock Beach, they have suites and condos and lots of family activities, hayrides, campfires, etc., not to mention awesome pools. The rooms look as nice as the RC's, very luxurious.

http://www.hammockbeach.com/recreati...tion_pools.asp
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:27 AM

I live just outside the Orlando area. We like to rent a Condo on the beach. Usually in the South Daytona area. It is quiet at this end of the beach and no beach driving allowed. A good site www.daytonacondorentals.net/. The prices for a 2 bedroom condo are generally under 1000.00 for the week. And you can get a 3 bedroom. There is a nice restaurant called the Deck down under. (Under the Dunlawton Bridge). Great seafood/hamburgers, a very popular place for locals and tourist. Go see the Daytona Speedway, just an hour drive to St. Augustine and an hour to Kennedy Space Center. To me if your just looking to sit by a pool you could do it in VA. Find a first class hotel and forget about the hassel of loading everyone on a plane,car rental etc....
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:37 AM

We went to Amelia Island in April, stayed at the Ritz there. It is lovely, and the town is very quaint, some shopping, a few nice restaurants. One French restaurant in particular was quite good, will have to ask DH for the name. It was located on a side street downtown in a converted small house, very tiny place and reservations are a must. The food was good and the wine list excellent for such a small place. There is a nice bookstore, with some quirky and unusual books, and (if you are in decorating mode) the Plantation Shop. If you all play golf or tennis those sports are well-represented at the Ritz and elsewhere on the island.

Orlando is a lot of driving and more driving. I can't imagine what you would really want to do there. And I think the Grand Floridian (Disney, true) gives any fine hotel in town a run for its money.
Old May 25th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Wow! The Club at Hammock Beach really does look lovely. Okay...I really may have to look into that!

Amelia Island also looks lovely, but again... the flights are a pain in the butt.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. You're making it hard for me to choose!
Old May 25th, 2006, 09:31 AM

As a Floridian who hates heat, I would not go to Orlando on a bet in July or August. There are lots of good things to do nearby if you can stand the humidity. The largest collection of Tiffany glass is at the Hosmer Museum in Winter Park. Nearby is a pontoon boat ride on the lakes and canals used prior to Disney when Florida had a forest industry. The whole Winter Park area is darling and you are also near the Harry P Leu Gardens, the Cornell Fine Art Museum at Rollins College and the Orlando Museum of Art. Your best bet is to head to the coast where you might catch some breeze.
Old May 25th, 2006, 11:41 AM

Another nice Ritz option is the one in Naples, FL. If you are not married to having a beach, stay at the golf resort and save a few $. Nice spa. You can fly into Ft. Myers. Hot weather, though, that time of year, as other said.

You could take advantage of JetBlue's new Richmond service and head north to NY or Boston. Both are nice that time of year.
Old May 25th, 2006, 01:37 PM

We have stayed at the Disney Resort in Vero Beach. We had a great time. Our kids were older 10 and 6. I probably wouldn't stay there if I didn't have children to appreciate it. Yours being so young, the baby wouldn't know the difference. It is wall to wall kids tons of activities for them. Hammok beach in Palm Coast is lovely. We also stayed there. I don't recall there being much to do in Palm Coast. The Ritz at Amelia Island is beautiful. I don't know if you can get a flight in to Jacksonville or not.