Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Luxury holiday- 7 days in orlando and 7 days winding down- suggestions please

Old Oct 21st, 2003, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning to maybe go to Florida for 14 / 17 days with my wife and two girls ( 6 and nine). I will have to do the disney trip at the begining but really want to get out of Orlando after a week to relax in a family resort in Florida somewhere to unwind but want 5* delux family resort. Any suggestions on where is best to stay in Orlando and then where would you suggest to go afterwards. Ps I dont really want to drive so I will fly from resort to resort.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 04:49 AM

A great place is the Long Boat Key Club which is near Sarasota. Gorgeous sugar sand beaches, large luxury 2 bedroom condos with ocean views, active pool with good bar and poolside service, close to St. Armand's Circle and shopping and restaurants.

Second choice would be Hyatt Coconut Pointe in Bonita Springs (Fort Myers airport).
Gorgeous resort, excellent spa, kids pool and adult pool, boat ride to your own private beach.

Both of these are 2 to 3 hr. drive from Orlando. Flying would probably take longer when you add in arriving and departing from the airports.

LMF
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 04:53 AM

oops: I just gave you the resorts I feel would be good antidotes to Disney.

For luxury trip to Disney: 1. Concierge level accomodations at either the Grand Floridian or the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I might go for the AKL as you can go on a sunrise safari at the Animal Kingdom which is open only to concierge guests. Actually if you are there for several days, you might do as many others do and stay a few days at each. Grand Floridian is elegant with some of the better restaurants on site. Little girls would probably love the afternoon tea. Some girls wear their princess costumes or the American girl costumes. It is very cute.

Concierge rooms often have views of the Magic Kingdom fireworks at night.

LMF
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 04:54 AM

HI! We went to Disney in 2000 when our girls were 6 and 9. We also went last week (they are now 9 and 12). For lots of Disney info check out wdwinfo.com and wdwig.com They have tons of unofficial info including a look at offsite and Disney resorts. If you stay at one of Disney's deluxe resorts you may find plenty of opportunities to relax right there. Our last trip we had Ultimate Park Hoppers and went in parks 8 days in a row - very exhausting. DH can't wait until we go to Hawaii in March to relax!

As for out of Orlando, you might look into Marriot resort on Marco Island. I have not stayed there but friends have and said it was awesome. I am not sure how close Marco Island is to an airport though. On our Disney Trip in 2000 we spent 4 nights on Siesta Key afterwards but we rented a condo, I don't think they have any 5 star resorts. The other area in Gulf I have heard is nice is Sanibel Island.

If you have money to spend I have heard the Disney Cruises are fun - you could combine your land trip to Disney with a Cruise which is relaxing. Also Disney owns a resort at Vero Beach. You may be able to find some package deals including Disney and that resort. I think Vero Beach might be one of their vacation club resorts and some people find good deals renting points from vacation club members. Those sites I mentioned above can give you more information on that. It is only about an hour from Orland to the Cocoa Beach area and there are companies that provide transfers. The Kennedy Space Center sounds really neat - I hope to include that on our next Florida trip.

Good luck planning!
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 05:22 AM
scs

I don't know what time of year you are planning to take this vacation, but the Ritz on Amelia Island is a great 5* family resort. If you are planning this trip in the winter or early spring, Amelia would not be warm enough for swimming, though. If you are going at another time, it is worth the extra money to take the club level with the many food/drink offerings during the day and evening. The hotel also has the Ritz Kid's Club. The nearest airport is in Jacksonville which I would guess is about a 30-40 minute ride.
There is also a Ritz in Naples (the one right on the Gulf). There is an airport right in Naples, so you would avoid the drive.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 05:26 AM
scs

Forgot to mention, you can check out both resorts at www.ritzcarlton.com.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 12:47 AM
Original Poster

thnks a lot. will look all these options up. what is the weather like aound end may / beg of june
thanks
keith
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 06:17 AM
GoTravel

Weather will be very hot, very humid, chance of thunderstorms every day.

Agree with Grand Floridian on Disney property.

Off property, any of the Ritz-Carltons (Palm Beach, Miami, Naples, Amelia Island), The Breakers, The Westin Diplomat, and the Boca Raton Resort.

Disneys Vero Beach Resort is a timeshare and I don't really consider it luxury. It is nice and it is very expensive.