Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How is Hawaii different than other "beach" locales?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering an anniversary trip to Hawaii this summer, but hubby is leary of too much heat and humidity. And with the prices, we're wondering how does it compare with Mexico (Cancun, Cozumel, etc.), which is much cheaper? What does Hawaii have that a cheaper location doesn't? Thanks!
Old May 24th, 2006, 01:25 PM

Hawaii is just Hawaii - and it is the most amazing place I've ever been. I know there's a big world out there, but, honestly, I'll take Hawaii over all the rest of it - hands down, any day of the week. It's hard to put it in words - but it is just a wonderful, beautiful place.

One other thing to consider is that Hawaii IS part of the USA - which in these rough and rugged days is a good thing - no passports, no foreign language, no US Customs. And since you're considering Mexico as the other option, don't forget that right now the USA is in the midst of trying to fix the illegal immigration problems which isn't making Mexico exactly happy with us and could spill over into your trip if you go down there. Just a thought to consider, nothing else intended.

Old May 24th, 2006, 01:51 PM

We travel to Mexico and Hawaii a couple of times each year and love both. IMO, Mexico will probably be hotter, more humid and will have more insects to deal with. Also, summer in Mexico is hurricane season.
Old May 24th, 2006, 02:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hawaii has an incredible distinct island feel - the local people, the smell of the air, the islands dramatic and rich history... I love both (Mexico and Hawaii) but there is no way I can think of to compare them to each other.

Depending where you are flying from Mexico is not necessarily cheaper than Hawaii imo. You can drop a bundle or vacation economically in either place.

Old May 24th, 2006, 03:03 PM

The humidity in Hawaii is much less than in Cancun and Puerto Vallarta. I brought my tennis racquet to Puerto Vallarta and never used it. No problem in Hawaii. Sure there is some humidity, but not as bad as Mexico. On the other hand, it's cheaper in Mexico. What does Hawaii have? It's still the USA and that makes travel so much easier. Tropical with lots to do and see. Each island is different. Just pick one and cross them off your list as you visit another island. I've been to Lanai (1st visit, honeymoon), Oahu (2nd visit) and Maui (3rd visit). Heading back to Maui this fall. Plan to visit Kauai and the Big Island on a future trip back to Hawaii.
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Kal

All due respect, it's been my experience that when my friends use the "C" word and Hawaii in the same sentence, I tell them to go to Mexico because I don't like to hear them complaining about how high everything is in Hawaii upon their return. >-
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:08 PM
trippinkpj

Hawaii can be as expensive or as reasonable as you want it to be. We have stayed (in the last few years), for $60 - $80.- a night in B&B or apt. type units (private baths, no roaches). And kept meals/ food supplies to probably cheaper than we'd spend on one of our California coast trips. Trust me, I can make $40.- a day on food feed a family of four, LOL. Even in Hawaii. We even saw quality music for free several places.

Old May 24th, 2006, 04:53 PM

I too can make the price much the same in both places. There is more archaeological variety in Mexico, and the language and food and different culture can be an adventure. Hawaii? Fewer bugs, better snorkeling right offshore, better beach variety, not as hot, and maybe a feeling of more safety these days--but to each his own!
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:01 PM

Kal! How true! $-)

Mexico beach locales will be much hotter and more humid than Hawaii will be.

-Bill

Old May 24th, 2006, 05:17 PM

We've been to both Mexico and Hawaii, and hands down I think Hawaii is a much better place to spend your time and money. Mexico is not cheap as you might think. We went to Cancun, and it was expensive, moreso than Hawaii and the quality of the food was subpar. The city was pretty fake, built by the government in the 70's as a tourist town. The only thing authentic about it was Chichen Itza, but most people could only take a day trip out there.

Each island on Hawaii is unique. The geology is amazing. My favorite is big island--you get like 10+ climate zones on one island ranging from beach to rainforest, volcanoes, high altitude mountains, black sand beach, green sand beach, etc.

The food was amazing fresh and tasty--thanks to the rich volcanic soil it's grown on and the pristine ocean.

Snorkeling was great in Hawaii too. Terrible in Cancun. Even the so called national park in Isla Mujeres, the island off Cancun was disappointing.

I like Mexico for its local cultures and ancient ruins, but I don't think it's worth it going for a beach or island experience.
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:27 PM

I've done Caribbean islands and coastal resorts, and there is just "something" about the Hawaiian islands.

Do y'all remember the thread about the Hawaii smells that remain with you?

I still love St. Lucia most but Hawaii is wonderful.

Just saw the beach scene from the Thorn Birds. OMG. If you could rent the place on that beach, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I'm sure they are other beautiful places on Kauia, but that HAS to be one of the prettiest locations anywhere.

You can have Mexico. No thanks.
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:45 PM

Hawaii has tropical tradewinds. So even though the temperatures may be similar to Mexico, it will be cooler because of the breezes. IMO, Hawaii has better food, people are geniunely friendlier (not so obsequious), and it is part of the USA.
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:51 PM

Yes. All the beautiful people live in Hawaii.

Old May 24th, 2006, 06:12 PM

We have tradewinds to help with th humidity, but it will still be summer time so it will get hot and humid. If you can come earlier in the summer months then that would be better. Still it is not nearly as humid as the south, or Michigan or New York - we have the cool ocean to dip in! Aloha
Old May 24th, 2006, 08:20 PM

Mexico for beach towns, is hot humid and rainy season in the summer-time. Save Mexico when you want a trip Dec - April.
Old May 24th, 2006, 08:54 PM

Hawaii is magical, in just about anyway you can imagine.
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:11 PM

The aroma of the air in Hawaii, yes it will always stay with me. I have said so often, Hawaii is the jewel of the United States.
Old May 25th, 2006, 04:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Just to add you can drink the tap water in Hawaii
This would sway me alone!!!
I have been to both and enjoyed my trip to Mexico. It is a great beach resort. It is a lay around vacation. We spent 5 days there(plenty of time for me). I will most likely not go back.
Hawaii on the other hand is a big trip, BUT in my opinion, worth the trip. There are lots of things to do on every island if you want them. There is also great snorkeling. We did not find it humid at all. It is costly, but most vacations are. I will return to Hawaii.
Old May 25th, 2006, 06:52 AM

I think you should also factor in where you are coming. For me in Seattle, I can get to Honolulu or Puerto Vallarta in about the same flight time for about the same price (so Hawaii is not a "big trip" for me like it would be from someone back east US for instance).
Old May 25th, 2006, 02:35 PM

I was surprised that I did not see one mention, on this whole thread, noting the fact that Hawaii has something that no one, nowhere else has.... ALOHA!
I am not as well-travelled as many of you, but in several trips over the years, this has not changed; Aloha spirit is alive, and it is real. Kids are kids, the same everywhere, but I often get the feeling in Hawaii that the Hawaiian folks really do care about us tourists, and appreciate what our dollars are doing for them. While it seems that most of our contact in the islands, is with other tourists, I always treasure having the opportunity to get talking to some real Hawaiians, who are invariably delightful people!