Mexico or Hawaii?

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:15 PM
xxx

Mexico or Hawaii?

I have free airfare and hotel for 6 nights in mexico or hawaii over my march vacation (2nd week in mar). If Mexico , it would have to be Puerto Vallarta; Hawaii would be Honolulu (Waikiki). I was leaning toward mexico b/c I'll be traveling with a young child and flight would be shorter (plus I've never been to Mexico), but now I'm hearing horror stories about spring breakers. I'm a high school teacher so I enjoy young people, but don't want to be around non stop rowdy, partying. Liked Waikiki 20 + years ago, but I was 20 years younger then! Just want to relax in sun, take in a few sites. Know both destinations are "touristy", but need help choosing which to go with!

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:28 PM
Iza

You may want to repost your question both in the Latin America and US boards. All of the Mexico discussion is on the Latin America board.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 04:26 PM
Gloria

What are your tastes?
Puerto Vallarta, like most Mexican tourist areas, is mostly impoverished, and the resorts, while OK, are not exactly on a par with even the good but not great resorts in Hawaii.
If you don't want the busy-ness of Waikiki, why not stay away from there. The Mandarin Oriental and Marriott Ihilani are full service resorts well away from Waikiki, very quiet and relaxing.
Lots of people love Mexico. I have been there 5 times and always swear I'll never go back. It's dirty, hotels are poorly run compared to Hawaii, and good food is hard to find.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 04:46 AM
Coconut

HAWAII!!! No doubt about it. We've traveled many places and we just love Hawaii the most so far. Hawaii is just so beautiful and laid-back. I have to say though that Honolulu isn't our favorite place in Hawaii (too big and touristy). If you go and you can make it, try to get out to other parts of the island where you can see more of the "real" Hawaii.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 05:59 AM
xyz

Depends on where you're flying from as well. For example, flying from the east coast to Hawaii for six nights would hardly be worth it.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Marla

My choice would be Hawaii at the Hilton Hawaiian Village but if you choose Mexico make sure it's a more deluxe property-less spring breakers.