Loop to ORD via Blue Line

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like it will take about 45 minutes from the Monroe St station to O'Hare after a Sunday matinee--does that seem about right to those of you who have taken the Blue Line?
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 07:20 AM

Yes, that's generally correct. Keep in mind there has been heavy maintenance on the Blue Line which may cause delays.

Trains may operate on a single track or may not stop at some stations. If service are suspended, there will be shuttle buses to replace the trains. Interruptions are usually announced on Thursday for the upcoming weekend under the Press Releases section of the CTA site at www.transitchicago.com.
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 02:56 PM

Even if there were no maintenance work - or possible suspensions of service - I personally wouldn't allow less than 1 hour to get to O'Hare (and would add in some more minutes for the wait time on the train).

As you are probably aware, it is highly recommended that a person get to the airport no less than 2 hours prior to the the *boarding time* of their flight, because of increased security.

Are you seeing Jersey Boys at the Bank of America Theatre (as you mention the Monroe station)? The Sunday matinee starts at 2:00 p.m. The running time is 2 hours and 40 minutes (including 15 minute intermission). So figure it will be 5:00 p.m. before you get out of the door (unless you leave before the end of the show).

What time is your flight? It would have to be later in the evening.
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 03:02 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention...You'll also need to include some time for you to go back to your hotel to pick up your luggage.

Obviously, you cannot take it to either the restaurant (if you decide on Joe's) before the show or to the performance.
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 04:52 PM

The Blue Line is the best way to get to O'Hare. Take at least an hour and enjoy the "Urban Experience" of the city. We take the Blue Line to go to our dentist as well as the airport.

Enjoy the ride!

Lucci
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

It's not for me--it's for my daughter. She's flying into Milwaukee (where we live); we're picking her up and going into Chicago for lunch and the theater (she arranged all of this for my 60th birthday). She'll have no luggage and a boarding pass in hand. Her flight is at 6:45 PM. I hate car rides, and I'm trying to avoid driving her to O'Hare and then driving back to Milwaukee, which would add to our drive home.