Looking for vacation ideas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2004, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering a trip to the US possibly at the end of August for about 16 days. I am trying to think of a few different possible ideas to get a shortlist of potential trips.

I will be coming from London in the UK so no starting point for the trip should be a real problem (in terms of getting flights from London) and I have no objection to travelling around the US quite a bit after I arrive (e.g. by car, train or internal flight). I will not be travelling alone but the size of the group is as yet unknown but 2-6 people is the likely range.

I am looking for a good combination of being able to see cities, some national parks and a few days by a beach/pool would be good too.

Just for information I list the places in the US I have previously been to:

-NYC (x2)
-DC
-Las Vegas and Boston (a two-center trip) including (not planned) one day in Chicago
-California (incl San Diego, LA, San Francisco, Yosemite) plus Las Vegas, Grand Canyon (road trip)
-Florida road trip (incl Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Miami and the Florida Keys)

I have no objection to revisiting any of these places for a few days but of course I would like to build in new places I haven't visited before.

Any ideas are gratefully received and if I have missed any information that might be useful please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 06:27 AM
jw

You could use either Charlotte or Atlanta as your starting point and tour around the southeast. Both are within a reasonable drive of both beaches and mountains.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 06:31 AM

Well in august I wouldn't recommend going too far south. I would recommend either mid atlantic or new england.

With the first you could fly into Washington (a great and unique city) and then head north. Jersey shore or Long Island are great for beaches, the Adirondacks is the oldest and, I believe, the largest national park in the US and you could return from New York.

For a second option fly into boston for the city and then either head north into Maine (Acadia National Park) and tons of beaches/resorts, or south to Cape Cod (a great national seashore and tons of cultural/historical things to see and do).
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 07:16 AM

Would you consider going West to Washington or Montana and then to Alaska and/or Hawaii? You woud see some very interesting cities and many national parks. The best beaches are in Hawaii but everywhere you go you will find outdoor/indoor swimming pools. In the end of August Alaska is amazing.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 02:21 PM

How about flying into Salt Lake City. Take a week and go up to Yellowstone -
Grand Tetons. Then swing down to Flaming Gorge National Monument and Dinosaur National Monument near Vernal, Utah. Then go to Moab, Utah area for another week to see Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, Dead Horse State Park, Fishertowers and rent a 4 wheel drive Jeep in town to do some four wheel adventure. If you want to do a easy white water rafting trip you can do a day trip out of Moab. After Moab, go to Capitol Reef National Park. If you haven't been to Bryce National Park and Zion National Park you might make time for these and drive scenic Hwy 12. You can then end your trip in Salt Lake City.

http://www.so-utah.com/

Utahtea
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 03:30 PM
GoTravel

I would agree you may want to stay out of the southeast at the end of August.

I think the New England area would be wonderful!

Old Jan 10th, 2004, 04:07 PM

I agree witht he others that suggest New England area. To avoid the south becasue in August the heat is really not fun and would not make touring pleasant. Maine, Vermont, and New England eat some blueberry pie and lobster at every meal. That is a lot of fun and very pretty scenery. There would be hiking opportunities.

What about hiking on part of the Appalachian Trail? Virginia with Thomas Jefferson's home and the Blue Ridge mountains. Civil War places to see.

This would be hot but New Orleans and then you could do the West coast of Florida like Siesta Key and the Panhandle.

Just a couple of thoughts.
Happy traveling to the US.
Rene
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 04:24 PM

Forgot to mention Colorado and back to Virginia Colonial Williamsburg.

Bon voyage!
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 04:49 PM

You could fly into Norfolk, VA and do a Norfolk/ Virginia Beach/ Eastern Shore/ Williamsburg/ Outer Banks of North Carolina trip, and easily drive to the mountains of Virginia or NC in a few hours. Kids in North carolina and South Carolina and florida return to school in Mid-August, kids in Virginia don't go back until after Labor Day (first Monday in Sept) so Outer Banks/ Kitty Hawk/ Nags Head area or further south in the Myrtle Beach South carolina area would have fewer families vacationing. Does anyone in your group like Civil War history? There are driving tours you can do yourself that go thru lovely rural areas of Virginia and North Carolina - see www.civilwartrails.com for ideas.
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 03:48 PM

Hi, Dave!

I vote for the New England trip. Fly into Boston and head up the coast by car. Mom and I drove up the coast from Ft. Lauderdale to Bar Harbor, Maine, over the course of 27 days and loved the trip, especially once we got into New England.

You have my e-mail address if you want any other info.

I'm envious of your travel!!!
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks to you all for your great ideas. I'll have a good think and look at each of them and see what appeals.

I am really torn between coming back to the US for this trip and going to the Far East but your ideas here are certainly persuading me so far. Thanks again.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 01:17 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Fly to Seattle in time for the Bumbershoot arts festival the first weekend in September. Then hire a car (or other suitable vehicle) for ten or twelve days visiting the Pacific Northwest, British Columbia, even the Canadian Rockies. There are numerous itineraries available, and the level of congestion will fall greatly as schools all re-open on or before the first week in September. Best weather of the year, vibrant cosmopolitan cities, mountains, plains, great rivers, umpteen National Parks, apple harvests (try BC cider in lieu of your everyday scrumpy), open roads, plentiful wildlife (in the countryside too), and affordable accommodations. Plus you'll be in the US at the peak of the political season leading to the November elections. Oh the humanity.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 01:18 PM

To add more options, the Pacific northwest is gorgeous in August-Seattle, Mt. Ranier, Portland. That's the only time of year I'll go there. You could go even as far south as San Francisco/Napa/Sonoma in that much time.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 02:42 PM

So many great ideas! I agree that the New England area or the Northwest (Seattle/Portland) area sound ideal for that time of year. Keep in mind that June thru Nov is hurricane season here in the US--so any beach plans along the southern to mid atlantic areas could have to be changed at the last minute!
Happy Trails!
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 04:37 PM

Dave,
I'll have to vote with those suggesting the pacific northwest. We did a two week trip a few years ago and visited Portland, OR, Mt. St. Helens, Mt Ranier, Seattle, Bellingham, San Juan Islands, Vancouver, BC. It was a fabulous trip combining all the things you have mentioned, plus you haven't been to these areas yet.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 04:42 PM

I also like the idea of the Pacific Northwest, and then heading east to the Rockies. Banff, near Calgary, is stunningly beautiful.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 07:21 PM

Dave,
Either the eastcoast or westcoast would be fabulous. I wanted to also suggest that if you happen to decide on the eastcoast, you might want to head up to Niagara Falls and maybe even into Toronto. I was there a few years ago and loved both places. If you've never seen the Falls, you need to see them at least once in your life (Canada has the best view of the Falls.)

I still have the pics you sent me of Lauderdale and Key West and as soon as I find my Ft. Lauderdale pics, I'll have to send some to you. Take care!
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 07:31 PM

I agree with the Banff, Canada, Northwest idea, or a Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Teton tour with a trip down the snake river. I like Charleston or New Orleans as starting points but it just may be too hot in August.