The US - general question

Old Aug 26th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The US - general question

This is very general but where's a good place to go in the u.s? I have never been before but would like to go someday. I don't like the sound of places like orlando, or new york.
I thought these places sounded interesting:
Colorado
Ohio
Alaska
Arizona
Maine
What do other people think of these states? What is there to do there that is good?
Thanks
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 08:20 AM

Colorado is good if you like mountains. Rocky Mountain National Park, Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, Mesa Verde National Park, the Million Dollar Highway 550 between Ouray and Durango to name a few places.

Alaska is good if you like mountains, glaciers and wildlife.

Arizon is good if you like desert and then there is the Grand Canyon National Park, Petrifed Forest National Park, Canyon de Chelly National Monument, Sedona to name a few.

Never been to Maine so I can't comment. I've driven thru Ohio...wasn't that impressed as a destination state.

Another areas to consider would be Yellowstone National Park and Grand Tetons in Wyoming.

There is always California with our beautiful coast and mountains. Yosemite National Park, Sequioa Kings Canyon National Park, Lassen National Park. Wine country, etc.

My all time favorite state would have to be Utah with it's red rock beauty. Arches National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, Canyonlands National Park, Capitol Reef National Park, and Zion National Park. Dinosuar National Monument, Natural Bridges National Monument, Hovenweep National Monument, Glen Canyon National Recreational Area (Lake Powell), Monument Valley Scenic Hwy 128 and Hwy 12 and many more parks that I haven't even mentioned. Even the state parks like Snow Canyon & Goblin are beautiful.

For Alaska, Colorado & Wyoming, a lot will depend on what time of the year you come. If it's winter then you would want to enjoy winter activites.

Hope this helps.

Utahtea
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 08:46 AM

Alaska is a wonderful destination.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 09:25 AM

What don't you like about the "sound" of Orlando or New York? If you think New York is tall buildings and masses of people, check a little more into the rest of New York State and you'll see it's very different.

I have some very good friends in Ohio and have done time, er, spent time there. Northwest Ohio is more rural while the northeast has more industry centered around Cleveland, Akron and Youngstown. Southern Ohio has a bit more natural scenery approaching the mountains of WV and Kentucky.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 09:34 AM

I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to interpret a1234's statement. He's looking for natural, scenic beauty. You aren't going to find that in NYC or in Orlando, any way you slice it.
If someone said they were going to Europe and interested in the Black Forest and the Alps, would anyone persuade them to see London instead?

Those are great places, a1234, unfortunately they are pretty scattered. Coming from Ohio myself, I think that would be the first one to eliminate however if you're looking for really breathtaking beauty.

Old Aug 26th, 2005, 09:40 AM
mm

New England combines the natural beauty of mountains, lakes and seashore all into one compact package.

mm
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 09:50 AM

a1234, I think it depends on what kind of country or environment you now live in. Alaska would be boring if you come from Norway. Arizona would be boring if you live in Isreal.

Where are you from?
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 10:00 AM

It might also help if we know a little bit about your interests. Example: If you love wildlife watching and hiking, Alaska, the Teton/Yellowstone area of Wyoming, or Glacier National Park in Montana would be great for you.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 10:13 AM

One of the greatest hidden treasures in Ohio is the Hocking Hills area in SE Ohio. There are several differing parks w/fairly easy hiking & wonderful forest scenery, waterfalls, etc. Check out hockinghills.com. The closest city is Columbus about 1 1/2 away. There are many rustic forms of accommodation as well & a few nice B & B's. I actually encourage you all (that have automatically ruled out Ohio) to check out the website. North on the Lake (Erie that is) is the Put-in-Bay, Kelley's Island, Pelee Island(actually in Canada) area. Several wineries, great scenery & very comfortable, temperate weather. Try kelleysisland.com or Pelee.org.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies, especially utahtea for the very detailed reply.
Citylghts: I don't think i would like going to orlando because it just seems really touristy and busy and disney isn't my sort of thing, and from what i've heard of new york it is busy as well and i want to go somewhere relaxing.
Patrick: Yes, i'm looking for somewhere with spectacular scenery, and somewhere with very individual scenery that is like nowhere else in the world.
Jorr: i'm from the lake district in the north of england, so if i went anywhere green and hilly it would probably bore me.
cmcfong: I don't really like hiking but wildlife watching is okay. I quite like theme parks which is why i wondered about ohio because cedar point is there so if i went to ohio i could spend a day at cedar point and spend the rest f the holiday doing other things. I want to go somewhere relaxing with great scenery.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 10:52 AM

Too easy. California. I think you can hit everything you want-- incredible scenery, things to do, theme parks-- in one state. One very big state. You CAN relax out here, just not in the biggest towns. But for sheer natural beauty, we enjoy some pretty great stuff out here.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 10:59 AM

If you wanted to spend a day at Cedar Point, you could then head to the mountains of Pennsylvania or West Virginia not too far away. I'm not sure it's scenery that is "very individual, like no place else in the world", but the mountains are certainly beautiful, and plenty of relaxing is available. Or, you could spend a day at Cedar Point, drive to any number of larger cities nearby, and fly from there to anywhere else in the US for the rest of your trip.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 11:18 AM

There are any number of wonderful sights to see in many states. In Arizona, there is the (unsurpassed) Grand Canyon, the red rocks around Sedona, indian cliff dwellings, heavily forested mountains, and the great Sonoran desert, which covers most of the southern part of Arizona.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 11:21 AM

Just so you know, they call those things east of the Mississippi Mountains, but we in the west call them hill! If you want mountains then go to Colorado, Wyoming, California or Alaska.

Utahtea
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 11:21 AM

Cedar Point is very near Sandusky which is where you would catch the ferry to the islands I mentioned prior.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 11:50 AM

I know Arizona is (mostly) considered a desert state. But, did you know:

The San Francisco mountain is over 13,000 feet?

The highest peak in the White Mountains is 12,000 feet?

There are many other peaks between 8,000 and 10,000 feet?

There are peaks in the mountains surrounding Tucson that are over 9,000 feet?

So, even though we may not have the sheer number of mountains that grace states such as Colorado, please don't leave Arizona off the list of mountain states
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 02:00 AM

If you want great scenary you have a lot of options. I LOVE Utah but if you are not into hiking it might not be your thing. I think California (northern) may have what you want. you have the coast mountains the big trees

or you could do the desert, palm springs etc.

Colorado is really spectacular too and the southwest corner gives you a taste of Utah's landscape. Estes park out side of rmnp has any number of places to stay with different amenities and price ranges all at nature's back door.

Arizona is another favorite but it is mostly desert. but it has the grand canyon (which you don't have to hike to see) Monument Valley just plain cool. and relaxation at resort in sedona. or tucson would be a plan too.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 08:25 AM

I think the western part of the US would be a great choice. A lot would depend on how much time you had to spend but as has been said, you can get every kind of scenery there is between California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico, Colorado. I would think you might find the deserts interesting because the are so totally different from what you are used to and the scenery is just beautiful and amazing. Alaska of course is another good choice but not really convenient to visiting other states or areas. It's hard to narrow down the choices sometimes.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 10:39 AM

a1234, You would probably get really bored where I live. Minnesota "Land of 10,000 Lakes"! I think Ohio and Maine would be out of your list. Maine has the look and feel of north England. Colorado, Arizona, and Alaska have a truly American feel. Alaska has a certain old west "attitude" that you you won't find in most of the "lower 48" states. Or consider Wyoming. Its about as far from England's way of living as you can get.

Have fun in America.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 10:55 AM

Unfortunately, there's not much that's spectacularly scenic around Cedar Point. While there are some nice areas, there really aren't mountains like you find out West.

Every time I hear folks talk about going to ``the mountains'' in Pa. They're hills. I've got to chuckle a bit. West Va. is a bit more rugged, but neither come close to the more dramatic peaks out West, especially in Alaska.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -