Looking for Hotel Recommendations in St. Pete's Beach, Florida

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at Long Key Beach Resort or have any recommendations in the St. Pete's Beach area? We're looking for inexpensive, beachfront or close proximity, clean and not scary. We only have one full day to enjoy a break from a business trip and I'd love to get some well-needed beach time in.

Thanks!
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 10:15 AM

My SIL always stays at the Tradewinds with her husband and kids. Great place from what I hear. Not fancy but nice and clean...come to think of it I sent my folks there for 2 nites and they liked it as well. Dont know much about it but have read poor reviews to the Don Cesar...its a loews and supposedly is not that great.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 10:45 AM
OO

I don't know when you read those reviews liasun71, but the Don is wonderful. It is also the most expensive hotel from St Pete to Clearwater, so I don't think it's anything scubapuppies would be interested in. It was purchased by Lowes a couple of years ago. The structure itself dates to the 20's and as with all grande dames, the rooms are smaller as are the bathrooms. You can renovate the beejeebies out of a hotel but there is not much you can do with that, and they have had a very nice renovation in the past few years. 5-8 years ago it was looking pretty tired. No more. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking in that price range.

Tradewinds reviews are all over the board. I'm not so keen on that, but then, neither have I stayed there.

Long Key Beach Resort is in a pretty good area of St Pete Beach. Their website certainly makes the rooms look nice!! It looks as if it's recently been done. Again, it's not a place I've ever stayed. We lived in the area and my DH ran a hotel in Tampa so our "staying" in other properties was pretty limited. We have stayed in the Don though, as well as the Vinoy in downtown St Pete...another nice old grande dame, but not on the beaches, and again, pricey.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 11:53 AM

We had stayed at the Don in the past and this past year did so again despite some of the reviews on TripAdvisor.

We had a great room and a great stay; pool was wonderful as is the beach just beyond.

Pricey...yes and perhaps more than you want to pay.

Wish i could help you with the others but have never stayed in them so topping this for you.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 12:38 PM
OO

TripAdvisor! Bletch. There needs to be a disclaimer pinned to the top of those boards: Please administer large grains of salt while reading.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 01:58 PM

OO
That is exactly where i got the reviews...TA.
I probably would stay there if there was a deal but I have been burned by not listening to trip advisor reviews in the past. just an fyi
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 04:09 PM

but everyone should listen to OO's hotel recomendations in Tampa and St. Pete. She KNOWS what she is talking about.

and the Don is a GREAT place to stay!
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 06:01 PM

Try the Doubletree Beach Resort 17120 Gulf Blvd. N. Redington Bch. (between Clearwater and St. Pete). It was a Hilton, has been extensively remodeled and all the beach renourishment is complete. Convenient, nice restaurants close by--we're using it for our out-of-town guests in November for our daughter's wedding.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:54 AM

Also, check out the Island Inn on Treasure Island. A few Fodorites have enjoyed it, it is much less expensive than the hotels on the "strip" in St. Pete Beach, but would provide beachfront accommodations on a nice, not crowded, beach. TI is next island north of St. Pete Beach, Redington is about ten miles north of that, FYI.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 06:03 AM

I stayed at the Tradewinds for 1 week in May, 2006. It's a nice place with multiple swimming pools, restaurants and bars. Depending upon the evening, they have entertainment for kids. The beach and cabanas were nice. They also have beach toys and paddle boats. There are several good restaurants within walking distance - a steak house across the street, Crabby Bills just down the beach, a great margarita place the other direction. I'd highly recommend it.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 07:57 AM

I've stayed many many times over the years at St Pete beach at a place that is called the Dolphin Beach Resort. It is NOT fancy, it IS right on the beach (in fact, you can get a beach front room and step right into the sand) and a fairly large pool area. The place is older... I started staying there in the early 70's, but have consistently gone back to this place every time I'm in St Pete... which used to be at least once a year.

Give a look... Dolphin Beach Resort may be just what you need. It's not a hi-rise, as are so many of the newer places on the beach. Much more convenient to getting to/from the sand or the pool area. Restaurant on the grounds is OK... nothing to write home about... but there are restaurants and shopping very close by. That includes The Don Cesar, which is a short walk to the south.

Carol
Old May 13th, 2007, 02:59 PM

I was wondering if the OP ended up staying at Long Key, or where. I am looking for somewhere to stay in this area in July and considering Long Key Resort or Bayview Plaza Waterfront Hotel on St. Pete Beach, or the Sea Captain Resort in Clearwater Beach. I cannot make up my mind! Anyone have any advice?
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:13 AM

FYI, of the three resort you mention, only Long Key is actually on the beach. You are on the water, but across the street with the other two. Can't speak to the quality etc since I live in the area and don't use hotels.

Did you check out Trip Advisor reviews?