Hotel recs for St. Petersburg or Clearwater

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel recs for St. Petersburg or Clearwater

My boyfriend and I are traveling to Florida the first weekend in May for a wedding. The ceremony is in Clearwater, and the reception in St. Petersburg. We'll likely plan to stay in the area for 3-4 days, and would like to stay at a *great* place. It can be in either area, or something else located nearby (but not Tampa).

We're in our mid-30s, will have a car with us, and would prefer to be on the water but that's not mandatory. Price isn't really an issue. That said, while price doesn't necessarily equate to high quality, we're thinking of something in the $150-200/night area. Put another way, we rarely get away, are willing to splurge on accomodations, and need some help with ideas. I've looked at the Tradewinds, Safety Harbor and Island Inn and that's not what we have in mind. On the other hand Don CeSar looks fabulous but out of our price range. I'm hoping someone has some suggestions for us! Thanks.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 02:52 PM

I hear rave reviews from friends that have stayed at the Renaissance Vinoy in St Pete - it is a Marriott property but is a beautiful 1920's hotel. Their web site is pricing out around $200 but you may be able to find discounted rooms on other hotel search engines. here is their web site: http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/TPASR
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - that place looks nice so I think we'll try it out!
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 07:01 AM

The Vinoy in St Petersburg is very nice, and it overlooks the bay and the harbor; but it isn't a beachfront hotel. It's a great place to relax, and you can stroll all the shops and cafes within the several blocks to the west of the Vinoy.

If you want beachfront, there are tons of good beach hotels in St Pete Beach. For starters, try the Holiday Inn, the Sandpiper, the Alden, and many smaller places right on the beach. Rates will be within your budget. Good luck.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 09:30 AM

I would check out the Alden. We go to the area every summer the past 4 years but never stayed there. we stay in a condo. It looks nice with easy access to restaurants and they have kitchenettes in rooms.It's much easier to stay on the beach with a fridge. They get good reviews on tripadvisor.com. Go to the don cesar to look around and have a drink at their beach bar.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 11:51 AM

Check out Sand Key. It is just south of Clearwater Beach, which has become a little too touristy and run-down for my taste. There are some nice places on the beach but I've only been to condos there. That part of the beach has beautiful sand.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 01:15 PM

Try the Sheraton Sand Key. It gets good ratings on expedia and tripadvisor and is in your price range. It is on 10 acres directly beachfront.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 12:23 AM

We got married and had our reception at Tradewinds Resort in St. Pete Beach and absolutely loved it!