First time in Florida, HELP!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2003, 12:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I (both in our mid 20's)will be in the St.Pete area Dec.21-23. I thought the biltmore would be perfect seems so charming until I read the reviews So now Im trying for a 4* on hotwire thinking I will either get don cesar or tradewinds grand. Could I get any insight to these hotels as it is for our 1st anniversary.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 03:33 AM

Don Cesar is very nice but the rooms are on the small side because the hotel building is older. I have never stayed at the Tradewinds but some of my friends have and I have heard mixed reviews from them about it.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 03:39 AM

If you want to stay at Tradewinds, I would stay at their main resort. Especially if it's your anniversary. The other parts are ok, but not as nice.

In December the beach might be too cold or windy to spend a lot of time at, so you have to decide if you will be spending a bunch of time at the resort or traveling around.

Good Luck!
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 04:44 AM
OliveOyl

Looking at the Hotwire amenities list for the 4* in St Pete Beach, I'm sure you would be getting the Tradewinds, not the Don. The Don has a spa which would be listed with the amenities and Hotwire's 4* does not include the spa icon.

If you want to go for it on your own, the Don CeSar is wonderful and would be a terrific spot for your first anniversary. It's a beautifully renovated 20's era hotel and without a doubt the best of all the hotels from St Pete to Clearwater Beach. The rooms are small but have been redone within the past year and the decor is beautiful. The size didn't bother me in the least. (We stayed there one weekend last January for our anniversary)

Tradewinds gets spotty reviews, but there are 3 of them and they are distinctly different. I heard recently that one of the 3 will no longer be grouped under the Tradewinds name, but don't recall which it was. Have never stayed there but their appearance from the beach doesn't do much for me. You might look at some of the user reviews under Priceline for more specific info on the Grand.

Whatever you decide...have a wonderful anniversary weekend.

Old Aug 29th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the insight. We live in alaska so the temperature really is not an issue for us..We are spending 16-22 in orlando, so we really want a relaxing few days afterwards. The nicest I can get for $150 or less? Im not really intrested in getting one of the "condo" type of hotels. Would love a place with a lot of character.. thanks again
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 12:45 PM

Don Cesar has alot of character-I haven't actually been inside in years but it's great looking outside. Plus, the St. Pete area is a good location if the weather is really bad and you want to go into Tampa or Orlando.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 02:02 PM
OliveOyl

Don CeSar has character plus, but I doubt you could get it for under $150 in December through either Hotwire or PCLN. In fact, I've seen only one winning bid for it on PCLN (for July and at $100), which is about as low as low season goes!

Hotels are happier with Hotwire stays over Priceline, so rooms in a close-to sold out position might be better quality with hotwire than pcln, but reading the reviews for the Tradewinds Grand in BFT--the rooms PCLN bidders were getting sounded grim--interior views! That is not worth any amount of savings IMHO, especially on an anniversary. Also, although the Grand is rated as a 4* on PCLN and evidently Hotwire too, those reviewers didn't feel it deserved the 4th star. That would have been my thinking too! I don't know how hotels come by their ratings for Hotwire, but for Priceline, they rate themselves according to the amenities they have and though some may be accurate, there is just as good a chance that they are not.

You might look at Travelocity and Expedia as well for deals. I know Travelocity uses AAA's rating system for their hotel packages, so at least you should know what you are getting as AAA inspects and re-evaluates all their 3's* and above annually, 2* and below less frequently. Good luck--I'm glad you are getting a head start on your planning and I hope it all works out!

Old Sep 5th, 2003, 07:14 AM
Smilesalways

As an option if you cannot reserve at the large places, you might consider a smaller place on the beach in St. Pete, in lieu of large resort-like hotels and motels. Some of the larger places are cavernous and impersonal, and a tad formal. Also, consider expanding your search to include Passe Grill and Treasure Island. Close to St. Pete but much more initimate. Wherever you stay, have fun!!!

Old Sep 5th, 2003, 09:10 AM

sug ( is that short for Sugar?

For your first anniversary I think a grand resort or hotel is just what you would want!
Since Olive knows that area like her own backyard and has great info on hotels, I would listen to her advice..I do.
BTW- Happy Anniversary