Looking for help in Monterey?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2007, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are 2 couples traveling from SF to SD. One of our stops is 2 days in the Monterey area. We are looking for any suggestions of great wine tasting tours with gourmet lunches. Any "must sees or dos" would be great. Thanks for your help.
Andrea
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:55 AM

On Cannery Row there is a wine tasting room over the rocks at the shore's edge. They have wine from all the local wineries and we enjoyed it very much. If you’re in the area, I suggest stopping in there. I’m sure you know about 17 mile drive – that is a must do. I’d also throw in the aquarium as a must do. Other than that, wake up early and go for walks along the paths in Pacific Grove. For dinner, try Fresh Cream (http://www.freshcream.com) in Monterey.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 02:51 AM

Great seafood on the pier.And the clam chowder, OUT OF THIS WORLD;Paul
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 08:06 AM

There is the Taste of Monterey across from the Plaza Hotel, very good local wines here. A meal at Roy's on 17 mile drive would be nice, we also like both of the restaurants at the Highland's Inn, stunning views. For a splurge, go to Pacific's Edge for dinner. ***kim***
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Carmel Valley has some very good wineries. I like Chateau Julien for one.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 08:13 AM

Just south of Carmel is a state park called Point Lobos. I definitely recommend a stop there. Absolutely beautiful.

If you like clam chowder, you might consider stopping at Phil's Fish Market in Moss Landing, just north of Monterey. You can do this as you head out of Monterey on your way to SF. This place doesn't fit the gourmet criteria, but the chowder is some of the best around. You can also get french fried artichoke hearts there and a variety of other things.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 08:18 AM

I 2nd Phil's! I went there for the first time earlier this year and it's a new fave of ours. We also like Monterey's Fish House on Del Monte in Monterey. Great family restaurant with very fresh seafood.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 10:41 AM
SAB

Here is quick overview of wineries in Carmel Valley--
http://www.carmelvalleychamber.com/wineries.html--more fun to do tasting at a winery in the Valley than a tasting room in Monterey IMHO.

Wickets at Bernardus Lodge is lovely for lunch, Marius does fabulous dinners.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 11:18 AM

If you want someone to drive you around, there's a new Wine Trolley that starts in Monterey and takes you to many Carmel Valley wine tasting rooms, including Georis, where the Corkscrew Cafe (my favorite) is located. Check to see if there's flexibility to stop for lunch there and sneak a taste at Talbott's tasting room next door, if there's time.

http://www.toursmonterey.com/WTPages/WTHome.html

http://www.corkscrewcafe.com/cafe.html

Agree with SAB, Wickett's patio for lunch and Marinus for dinner are nice.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 07:15 AM

hey trippin - glad you enjoyed Phil's It is one of our favorites too.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 08:28 AM

Hi J_C- We also want to try the Whole Enchilada in ML. Have you ever been there?
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 10:14 AM

Fairly new in the area, Melange restaurant for dinner in Pacific Grove is absolutely top shelf! Very creative small plate format with a distinctive wine list. Many wine samplings, flights, glasses and half's lets you try a few different wine and food pairings without breaking the bank. Their website's not up yet, but it's located on Lighthouse across the street from Favoloro's.

Morgan winery opened their new tasting room just a few days ago in the Crossroads, Carmel. Try to get a taste of wine from their prized 'Rosella's vineyard'. Wow. If they're not pouring that, buy a bottle, you won't regret it.

Also, Cima Colina (nice pinots, too) just opened a tasting room in Carmel proper on San Carlos btwe. Ocean & 7th in the Paseo courtyard. Galante (Carmel Valley) winery has a tasting room in Carmel, too. Don't miss the cheese shop in Carmel Plaza for excellent cheese and local wine tasting. Bouchee restaurant across the street also has a very nice wine bar that opens at 4:30. Carmel has recently become a great place to wine taste, and you can walk between the tasting rooms and explore the village, with no DUI worries. Enjoy, and please report back!
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 10:33 AM

We've been to the Whole Enchilada many times over the years and always had good food. My family moved to Watsonville when I was in high school - my mom is still there as are my inlaws. Since there isn't much in the way of restaurants in Watsonville, the Whole Enchilada is one of our regular choices when we are down there and want to go out.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 10:48 AM

They're not open for lunch, but if you're interested in a gourmet dinner with lots of wine choices, try Passionfish in Pacific Grove. Wonderful, sustainable seafood and an award-winning wine list.