wineries in monterey area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We spent 4 days last year in Sonoma and Napa counties visiting many different wineries. We are planning a trip this year to the Monterey/Carmel area. How would you compare the wineries in that area to those in the Sonoma/Napa area? It sounds like a lovely area regardless, but I'm not sure if we should be focusing on wineries in that area or spend the time seeing/doing other things.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 06:50 PM

To get you started, there is Bernardus. Check out the lodge. Bernardus Chardonnay is very nice. It has been a very long time since I read any reviews on the restaurant but supposed to be excellent.

http://www.bernardus.com/lodge/index.htm

http://www.bernardus.com/winery/
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 09:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Choose a few wineries in the key areas: Carmel Valley and Salinas Valley. Paraiso and Sheid are just south of Salinas. Only use a day or two. Too many other places to see and experience in the area.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 07:12 AM

Drive down Carmel Valley Road.

There is HELLER ESTATES winery and tasting room. Small, quaint, good wine and nice people.

BERNARDUS is on the same road. Also good wines. The restaurnat/lodge is in a separate location from the tasting room. You will see it before you get to the tasting room. It has a great outdoor eating area if the weather permits.

We live in this area, belong to the wine clubs of both, and take visiting friends to both. There is also ST. JULIEN on the same road. Beautiful building. You can do this area on an easy afternoon drive not far from the city of Carmel.
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 10:25 AM

Chateau Julien and Bernardus are two of our favorites in Carmel Valley. In downtown Carmel, there is the Galante Vineyards tasting room, I would go over there, also. Casanova would be a very nice place for a meal in Carmel, you can sample the local Georis wines there, we love their Sauv Blanc. In nearby Monterey, Ventana Vineyards has a tasting room, it is adjacent to Tarpey's Roadhouse, another wonderful restaurant in the area. ***kim***
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 04:49 PM

Wines are ok there but nothing like Napa Valley or even Sonoma. I kind of like the Bernardus Chardonnay, but I would not spend a lot of time searching out wineries in this region. There are so many other things to see and do there. You could research a little, and if you happen to be near one of the tasting rooms, stop by. But otherwise, I'd spend time in Point Lobos or Big Sur or walking around Carmel or Pacific Grove or visiting the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 05:13 PM

ttt