long weekend in savannah

Search

long weekend in savannah

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
long weekend in savannah

We're going to savannah for a long weekend to stay w/ family, and are considering a side trip for a night.

We tend to vacation in urban areas where we can wander around w/out a car and see the sights; we'll be staying on skidway island when we're in savannah.

My question: is it worthwhile to go to charleston and spend a night there? It seems there's a bunch to see downtown. Are things open on sundays? (it'd either be a sat or sunday night we'd stay somewhere). Are we better just going to hilton head or beaufort?

thanks!
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 10:27 AM

Charleston is a better destination that Savannah I think.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

we can't change the destination (we're visiting family in savannah) but we can /want to escape for a night... Since our base is savannah, do you think it's worth it go to charleston (sounds like you think there's more to do there than in savannah). It'd just be for a one-night visit.
thanks for your input!
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 10:36 AM

I'd recommend a Sat. stay vs. Sun. stay in Charleston if you can help it. Saturdays downtown are pretty busy with excellent shopping and walking downtown. Lots of good restaraunts too. And theres the market to browse in. There are occasional street entertainers as well.

Sunday, especially evening, tends to be much quieter. Some stores will not be open - especially in the evenings.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 11:26 AM
bonniebroad

Charleston and Savannah are both wonders, and worth any amount of time you can spend in them, IMO. I don't think one is better, just different, like two totally-different sisters! I agree that Saturday would be a better day to be in Charleston, if you want to shop and tour.

Old Jul 13th, 2004, 12:43 PM

Another point of view. You can explore Savannah on foot for hours & hours. To me, Charleston would be more of the same.Consider minimizing the miles and visit Beaufort, Parris Island and try to spend the nite in Hilton Head. See if you can get a room in Sea Pines at the South Beach Village Inn or Inn at Harbortown.A beautiful area & easy driving. Under a 1 hour return trip the next morning.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

are there walking things to do in hilton head and/or beautfort?

thanks!
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 05:28 AM

We just did this trip in May and we try to avoid driving whenever possible. There is plenty of great walking but little to actually "do". Beaufort was like walking thru a movie set for a couple hours followed by dinner at a delightful cafe on the harbor. Sea Pines in Hilton Head is like walking thru a postcard with an amazing harbor and as pretty a beach that you will find. BUT both are small and low-key - far from Charleston's size & bustle.Neither of us have military backgrounds but the Parris Island Marine boot camp was fascinating. You can literally walk through & around the live training exercises.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 05:50 AM

I'm not sure I'd do Charleston as a side trip from Savannah. Perhaps a different experience for your day trip. Depending on when you go, perhaps a day on the beach at Tybee?
Charleston and Savannah are so similar, I'd prefer staying and enjoying the city I'm in more rather than driving to see something similar in mood and attitude.
I would recommend a walking tour in either city and a trolley or horse-drawn carriage tour.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 03:01 AM

I also wouldn't do Charleston, especially as a side trip. We just did this trip inMay - 3 nights in Savannah, drive to Beaufort for lunch, then drive to Charleston for 4 nights.

We liked Savannah better, but I know it is the reverse with many people. It is not a short drive - If my memory is correct, it took us 2 hours to get from Savannah to Charleston.

I'd go the other way, and do St. Simons, Jekyl and Cumberland Island. I think Cumberland Island is where JFK Jr. got married.

We wanted to do that, but just didn't have the time.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 03:53 AM
bonniebroad

Don't be telling Charleston and Savannah they're alike! You won't be popular down there..........

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 07:18 AM

I would recommend taking a side trip to Jekyll Island for one night if possible. Spend the night at the Jekyll island club and explore all the old millionaires mansions. It would make a nice day trip and is only about an hour away from savannah. We spent three nights there on the beach and spent most of our time in the historic district, it was very interesting. The Jekyll island club hotel used the be private club of the super rich members back in the late 1800's - early 1900's a few members decided to build themselves homes there and many of them have been resored and can be toured. The Rockefeller house is especially good. Check it out.