Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Long Key Recreation Are or Key Deer Refuge?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone visited the Long Key State Recreation or National Key Deer Refuge in Florida Keys? Any particular feelings about whether these should included for a 4-5 day trip to the Keys? The descriptions sound good (hiking trails, flora and fauna, but I am torn about trying to "see" too much or too many places instead of spending more time just "experiencing" the Keys with snorkeling, kayaking, etc from fewer places. We are traveling in mid June. I can't help it--I'm a super-planner on vacation...

Also, any recommendations for restaurants with good food or unique atmosphere in the middle to lower Keys would be appreciated. I've read the guide books, but would love some opinions from patrons. Particularly interested in Lorelei and Islamorada Fish Co.

Thanks!

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 05:24 PM

Where are you staying? In the lower Keys, you could easily fit in the Key Deer Refuge on Big Pine and do some snorkeling on Looe Key. There are some dive boats that operate off of Big Pine that take you to Looe Key, which is a marine sanctuary. There is a pub called "The No Name Pub" located on the north end of Big Pine Key that serves the best pizza in the world.
My husband and I also discovered a restaurant on Cudjoe Key (23 mile marker) called the Square Grouper, that was fabulous. Hope you have as much fun as we did!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! We are staying at Hawks Cay Resort, so we seem to be lower-midddle Keys. We definetely want to get out to Looe to snorkel. I am wondering how much else is worth driving around for since our resort seems to have several water activities.

Some of us like to hike though, and all of us are interested in native wildlife, so Long Key and Deer Refuge look appealing. Not sure how much time to spend at each--couple of hours? Half-day?

Thanks!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 12:24 PM

Hi Swimmer,

If you have a car, and you are interested in wildlife, head up to Marathon to the Dolphin Research Center. This is a non-profit org which conducts research and education re: marine mammals, but mainly dolphins. This is NOT a Seaworld type of place. You can do a dolphin interaction with one of their resident dolphin "ambassadors", which is simply an awesome experience, no other way to describe it. And you'll be supporting a good cause. I sponsor the daily upkeep on one of the resident dolphins, so I'm a little biased, but most people really do love it there.

As for whether or not you should go to the Key Deer Refuge... do you want to see a key deer, other than the dead ones at the side of the road? I stayed at a B&B on the edge of the refuge and they came up to the building at dawn and dusk. Very cute. Also biked around a trail that skirted the wetlands and thought it was gorgeous, but then I like wetlands. It really depends on what YOU want to get out of this trip.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 12:45 PM

We stopped for lunch at Lorelei on our drive down to Marathon. Thought it was a really good spot. Yummy conche fritters.

Also highly recommend the DRC. 2 of us did the interaction while the other 6 explored and watched and learned. It's a really good facility. Again, it's NOT seaworld.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

The Dolphin Research Center is one of the reasons we are visiting the Keys! I am so happy to hear that it is highly recommended. We chose DRC exactly because it is not supposed to be a theme park or a crowded pool with dolphins but a non-profit scientific center. We will also have some "swimming with the dolphins" and some observing. Also glad to hear that it will be interesting for everyone. Is this a full day excursion or half day?

And thanks for the tips on the restaurants!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:43 PM

Hi Swimmer,

When I was there, they offered EITHER half day or full day options. So... I don't know what you reserved? Their website is helpful: www.dolphins.org

When you're there, please introduce yourself to a dapper male dolphin named Sandy, and tell him we love him very much and we hope he's behaving himself. Ask him to show you his traffic cone. (The trainers will show you what I mean.)
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Dear JetLag,

I am happy to say "Hi" to Sandy! We are all looking forward to it!
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 06:11 AM

"Hike" is not a word I usually think of in the Keys in June. It will be hot and buggy. I'd spend more time on the water than in the trees. However, look into the Florida Keys Natural History Museum at Crane Point (in Marathon). They have a nice tropical hardwood hammock. Loralie and Islamorada Fish Co are a bit far from Hawks Cay. I would focus more on Marathon for dining. If you do venture to IFCo, enjoy a drink in the sand at Morada Bay and watch the sunset before dinner. The World Wide Sportsman Store is between IFCo and Morada Bay. Just a short and pleasant walk. If you are near MM 77, amaze your friends with your planning skills by discovering Robbies and the wild tarpon.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 03:47 PM

Swimmer- we made reservations for the dolphin interaction which I'm sure you have too. We were there for a long time. You take a course first then have your swim/interaction time. It's awesome and you learn a ton about dolphins. Also be sure to notice that the fabric "fences" around the pools are so short. These guys could easily hop over if they wanted. Makes it very easy to see that DRC is really doing a great job.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 03:50 PM

By the way, "square grouper" means a bale of marijuana.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Stormygirl. I think we'll just plan to spend as much time as it takes at DRC and then go back to Hawk's Cay and enjoy the water activities there for the rest of the day. Sounds like that might be better than trying to travel somewhere else after the dolphins. We have reservations for 2 of 4 people. I hope there is a good vantage point for those watching the dolphin interaction?

Keysmom---hot is okay; buggy is not so exciting. We are going to Bahia Honda/Looe Key one day in the morning, and if we leave there at a reasonable hour, we might take a look at the Key Deer Refuge. My son would like to see "Blue Hole" --he's read it is great for wildlife viewing?

Any favorite restaurants in Marathon?

Thanks again for the good advice.